SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Alan

Re: Defend yourself against the coming robot rebellion

March 29th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I've got it! When there is a student driver, the car has a big tag saying 'student driver'. So, why not make AV's  *much* more conspicuous? If the poor lady who was hit saw one of these coming down the road, she might have taken notice:
Last edited by Alan on March 29th, 2018, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

March 29th, 2018, 2:32 pm

this might work

ppauper

April 11th, 2018, 11:28 am

These Robots Are Learning to Conduct Their Own Science Experiments
Carnegie Mellon professors plan to gradually outsource their chemical work to AI.
so how long before someone decides to cut out the middle man and get rid of the profs?

outrun

April 11th, 2018, 11:53 am

First remote controlled robot on trial:

Paul

April 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Is this robot on trial or the robot that cut this robot's hair?

Paul

April 11th, 2018, 12:25 pm

1 Make eye contact for five seconds
2 Look away for three seconds
3 Smile for half a second
4 Go to 1

outrun

April 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Imagine working at Facebook directly below him, and having an argument with him. There is now way to see what's going on inside his mind.

That's probably why he's still CEO, he's an alien, you better be risk averse around him.

tagoma

April 11th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Imagine working at Facebook directly below him, and having an argument with him. There is now way to see what's going on inside his mind.

That's probably why he's still CEO, he's an alien, you better be risk averse around him.
Agreed!  It is what I meant yest in the FB thread!
I first thought it is the model for Madame Tussauds but it actually was the real Zuckerberg.

outrun

April 11th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Agreed!  It is what I meant yest in the FB thread!
I first thought it is the model for Madame Tussauds but it actually was the real Zuckerberg.
Yes, fascinating to see him outside his natural habitat. I also remember seeing a 'casual' video of him showing his crib, very awkward. 

Paul

April 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm

He's a high-functioning Aspie. You must have seen Aspies before, especially if you are a mathematician or physicist. 

And what is he thinking? I suspect it's partly "I know better than all these idiots around me" and partly "I don't understand what's going on." The latter being because he probably doesn't understand many social signals. Which is why he's exactly the wrong person to be in charge of privacy...privacy might not be something he will intuitively grasp. 

He certainly doesn't understand the social signals he's getting when people look at that haircut.

Cuchulainn

April 11th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Not so long ago..

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

outrun

April 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

What is he thinking? We can only speculate

TidalFlood

April 11th, 2018, 7:30 pm

He's a high-functioning Aspie. You must have seen Aspies before, especially if you are a mathematician or physicist. 

And what is he thinking? I suspect it's partly "I know better than all these idiots around me" and partly "I don't understand what's going on." The latter being because he probably doesn't understand many social signals. Which is why he's exactly the wrong person to be in charge of privacy...privacy might not be something he will intuitively grasp. 

He certainly doesn't understand the social signals he's getting when people look at that haircut.
This is the funniest thing I've read all year!

Traden4Alpha

April 11th, 2018, 8:13 pm

.....Which is why he's exactly the wrong person to be in charge of privacy...privacy might not be something he will intuitively grasp. .....
It may be worse than that. He may know exactly what privacy is about and think it is wrong because it is the antithesis of authenticity. Some of his past statements certainly praise the notion of authenticity and letting people hide who they are runs counter to that.

What's funny (or scary depending on whether one is "naughty or nice") is that so many religions have always claimed that their gods had omniscience. Those gods were monitoring peoples' behavior. Well now we truly have that in the form of Facebook.

Paul

April 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm

A strong moral code can be an Aspie thing. But, yes, if that moral code is a bit odd it can be problematic. On the other hand, part of that is difficulty with lying.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On