Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

DominicConnor
Topic Author

Defend yourself against the coming robot rebellion

October 31st, 2005, 3:17 pm

A lot of people round here wasted their time doing dull PhDs that few will ever read or care about, but not Daniel H. Wilson.He thought through the consequences of his Robotics PhD at Carnegie Mellon University, and has written a survival guide for the 21st Century.We now know "A robot trying to find you will use thermal imaging based on the roughly 91-degree temperature of human skin, so smearing yourself in cool mud will confuse them."Apparently the book was bought by Paramount studios before it was even finished.

mdubuque

October 31st, 2005, 7:59 pm

Thanks Dominic, looks like a great read!On a similar note, a global conference on the ethics of nanotechnology opens tomorrow in the San Francisco Bay Area.One of the items to be discussed is using nano technology in torture.... the idea being should we discuss the ethics of having nano agents which can deconstruct people on a molecular level being used as torture agents BEFORE they are widely deployed throughout our intelligence agencies, or should we simply have faith that everything GCHQ and the NSA does is for our own benefit?Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on October 30th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

October 31st, 2005, 10:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueThanks Dominic, looks like a great read!On a similar note, a global conference on the ethics of nanotechnology opens tomorrow in the San Francisco Bay Area.One of the items to be discussed is using nano technology in torture.... the idea being should we discuss the ethics of having nano agents which can deconstruct people on a molecular level being used as torture agents I think this is a good idea. It will act as a strong deterrent to evil doers.
Last edited by TraderJoe on October 30th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdubuque

October 31st, 2005, 10:33 pm

Yes. Only the highest levels of military intelligence and national reserve misfits from West Virginia should have access to this method of torture.Matthew
Last edited by mdubuque on October 30th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

February 25th, 2015, 4:28 pm

You may laugh now, but we'll see what happens in 10-20 years.I believe in rights for robots and even now, I am nice to my computers and other machines. They are always treated with respect and have padded cases to rest in when I am not using them.Do they "appreciate" this?All I can say is that they last a long time and do not tend to malfunction or misbehave in any way that I am aware of. :)
Last edited by trackstar on February 24th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

February 25th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Normal working hours for robots.

trackstar

February 25th, 2015, 4:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnNormal working hours for robots.I don't have any robots, but normal working hours for the computers and devices here are 7 am to 1 am. It is a rather long day, though there are rest times, of course.I keep all batteries charged up and the rooms are well ventilated and free of dirt and bugs. :)
Last edited by trackstar on February 24th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

February 25th, 2015, 5:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunYes they get some free time between 1-7am here as well, and I also alternate between my 3 laptops, desktop machine and my iPhone so they have it very easy! I work 5x more than they do....unless there is a fun experiment that needs serious computing hours!Haha! Same configuration here plus a Blackberry.If we join forces, we could launch DDoS attacks on unsuspecting forums! :D

trackstar

February 25th, 2015, 7:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunYes they get some free time between 1-7am here as well, and I also alternate between my 3 laptops, desktop machine and my iPhone so they have it very easy! I work 5x more than they do....unless there is a fun experiment that needs serious computing hours!Haha! Same configuration here plus a Blackberry.If we join forces, we could launch DDoS attacks on unsuspecting forums! :DHit them with 10RVps!My view is: anything that Bloomberg could handle or already does, should be the de facto standard.So you could post a whole list of potential behaviors and then ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"Opps wrong movie, I mean, "Could Bloomberg handle this?" Even Twitter - think of the pounding they take every day.

Alan

February 26th, 2015, 1:21 am

I for one welcome our new computer overlords