SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Re: Defend yourself against the coming robot rebellion

September 22nd, 2016, 1:39 pm

Get Ready for Freeways That Ban Human Drivers
“In city centers, you don’t even want non-automated vehicles; they would just ruin the whole point of why you have a smart city,” said Schondorf, a former engineer at Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV. “It makes it a dumb city.”
WTF?
"smart city"????
I guess those pesky humans are ruining all those "smart cities"
Why not? Some highways ban pedestrians, bicyclists, and horse-drawn carriages. Not all modes of transportation can safely operate on all roadways.

Human drivers simply don't have the required reaction times and consistent control behaviors to coexist safely on a maximum-density high-speed, autonomous vehicle roadway.

bearish

September 22nd, 2016, 6:23 pm

Get Ready for Freeways That Ban Human Drivers
“In city centers, you don’t even want non-automated vehicles; they would just ruin the whole point of why you have a smart city,” said Schondorf, a former engineer at Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV. “It makes it a dumb city.”
WTF?
"smart city"????
I guess those pesky humans are ruining all those "smart cities"
Why not?  Some highways ban pedestrians, bicyclists, and horse-drawn carriages.  Not all modes of transportation can safely operate on all roadways.

Human drivers simply don't have the required reaction times and consistent control behaviors to coexist safely on a maximum-density high-speed, autonomous vehicle roadway.
Hmm, sounds a bit like human traders, too.

outrun

September 24th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Cool latent space model

outrun

October 9th, 2016, 2:53 pm

When Her Best Friend Died, She Rebuilt Him Using Artificial Intelligence

I think this at some point actually going to work, I would love to chat to again with people I've lost, ..I think... 

If we capture enough speech & dialog then we should be able to get something reasonable, enough to be a bit comforting. It'll be better than watching old photo albums because it will be interactive. Instead of being able to see how someone looked we can experience how someone interacted.

E.g. google's AI can not do language translation with better than human accuracy. To do so it very complicated and a remarkable accomplishment because the correct translation often involve much more "real world knowledge" than the words written that need transaltion,.. yet the manage to do so already!.. this AI revolution is maybe just 3 years old now?
Last edited by outrun on October 9th, 2016, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outrun

October 9th, 2016, 3:03 pm

here(pdf) is a bot that supposed to generate political speeches, ..not quite there yet, hovering somewhere between list1 and Trump
mr. speaker , for years , honest but unfortunate consumers have had the ability to plead their case to come under bankruptcy protection and have their reasonable and valid debts discharged . the way the system is supposed to work , the bankruptcy court evaluates various factors including income , assets and debt to determine what debts can be paid and how consumers can get back on their feet , they need to have money to pay for child care . they need transportation . it allows them to get reestablished , and we think this is certainly very helpful . and then it also allows faith-based organizations to offer job training service . we think this is critical and has great potential . at the 12 present time , brazil mandates 23 percent of their fuel supply be from ethanol . we certainly could hit 7 or 8 percent in this country . mr. speaker , this is a very modest proposal . i think it is important that this resolution be considered quickly , so that members may be appointed to the task force and can begin their work and produce a report by june 2006 .

Traden4Alpha

October 9th, 2016, 3:17 pm

Given a corpora of text messages, facebook posts, email, etc., it should be readily possible to model that person's word choice, idiom choice, emotional tone, and sentence structure. And if one can document their reactions to a wide range of subjects (political leanings, favorite foods, movie preferences, favorite memories, etc.) then one can even extrapolate their likely reactions to future events. What would be really great (and weird, too) is if you create one of these posthumous chatbots, then the chatbot could actually record and recall experiences that the chatbot had AFTER the person died. The chatbot could say realistic things about events that occurred after the person dies but which the chatbot knows about. For example, the chatbot could remember their own funeral, have memories of that funeral which they speak about from time to time.

Realistic voice synthesis seems a bit trickier because it depends on having extremely high quality audio samples from the living person. A famous TV personality here in the US (movie critic Roger Ebert) lost his voice to cancer and even the hundreds of hours of broadcast studio voice samples weren't clean enough to reconstruct a good voice print for a synthesizer box. Apparently there are ways to do this by getting the person to speak a series of sentences that carefully sample all the phonemes.

outrun

October 9th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Exactly, .. it's probably doable already for companies like google / facebook? Then can even stereotype people have a surface of personality types that can be used to enrich the model. 

outrun

October 13th, 2016, 10:54 am

ppauper

October 13th, 2016, 11:09 am

will this kill robots?

outrun

October 13th, 2016, 11:51 am

will  this kill robots?
Hell yeah! It clears all electronic memory and old harddisk, fries electronic circuits. Only biological life will survive. I'm surprised we don't see professional versions of these in attack-drone rich regions.

Traden4Alpha

October 13th, 2016, 2:00 pm

will  this kill robots?
Hell yeah! It clears all electronic memory and old harddisk, fries electronic circuits. Only biological life will survive. I'm surprised we don't see professional versions of these in attack-drone rich regions.
Indeed!

Yet this design does not look very good. The small size of the coil severely limits the range of the field, the short spark gap limits the voltage that is driving the magnetic circuit, the use of an ultra-high voltage generator limits the current which will all combine to create anemic magnetic flux.

An actual engineer would do a much better job than a hacker on this one in terms of more efficient conversion of battery power into pulse energy and the projection of that pulse energy into emitted frequencies that are likely to affect consumer electronic devices.

As for biological life surviving, that might be debatable when one considers that Transcranial magnetic stimulation is basically EMP for scrambling the brain. So don't hold this device near your head!

outrun

October 13th, 2016, 2:10 pm

I hope the bots can't crack your annonimty measures. Do your SQUIDs pick up any activity around your house?

Traden4Alpha

October 13th, 2016, 3:46 pm

I don't use SQUIDS -- AM radios are much cheaper detectors of skulking robots and other digital vermin.

I worked for a few years at an R&D organization focused on high-energy pulsed power. Any robot that comes after me is likely to be on the receiving end of a 1 mega-amp discharge.

outrun

October 13th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Omg.. The first time I had misread it, thought you said 1 amp!

Traden4Alpha

October 13th, 2016, 4:40 pm

We had systems for welding 20 cm oil well pipe in a single fraction-of-a-second pulse, inductive pulse shapers to convert 1 megaamp @ 50 V to 10 kA @ 5kV for rail guns, and were working on electric catapults for aircraft.

Of course, if one really wants to fry robots, drones, and cellphones at a distance, the easiest hack is to put the guts of a microwave oven on a satellite TV dish -- 1800 watts of directional RF at 2.4 GHz would burn-out all the radios and a good chunk of the wiring in those devices.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On