SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 22nd, 2005, 6:04 pm

this is hilariousLawsuit sez online dating service set up fake datesQuoteMatch.com is being accused of sending ringers on fake dates with lonely hearts to keep them from dumping the service.A racketeering lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Nov. 10 alleges the wildly popular online dating service secretly employs people as "date bait" to send bogus enticing E-mails and to go on as many as 100 dates a month - or three a day - to keep customers ponying up."Hiding behind Match.com's portrait of online success is a very big, very dirty secret," the lawsuit alleges. "Not everyone you meet and date through Match.com is just another Match.com member."join the classthere's also a lawsuit against yahoo personals underway

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 22nd, 2005, 6:05 pm

QuoteA separate lawsuit filed in San Jose accuses the online dating service of internet giant Yahoo of breach of contract, fraud and unfair trade practices. It has been brought by a Florida man who accuses the company of posting profiles of fictitious potential clients on its website to give the impression, he says, that it has more single people on its books than is really the caseUS dating agencies sued for fraud

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 22nd, 2005, 6:45 pm

while we're on lawsuits:A man who participated in the popular "Wife Swap" television show is suing producers for $10,225,000 after the "wife" they sent to his home was a gay man.

farmer

internet dating

November 22nd, 2005, 9:55 pm

I know of a girl who used to do that. It all makes sense now...
Last edited by farmer on November 21st, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 23rd, 2005, 1:30 pm

anyone here who uses these services care to comment ?Lonelystud69 ?

ckarakus

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 12:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperanyone here who uses these services care to comment ?Lonelystud69 ?i guess you must a total loser to use these services why instead hang on a bar and hunt for girls: it is more fun than spending times on computer.

Cuchulainn

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 12:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ckarakusQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperanyone here who uses these services care to comment ?Lonelystud69 ?i guess you must a total loser to use these services why instead hang on a bar and hunt for girls: it is more fun than spending times on computer.for example, Random Walkers in London tonite!
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

DominicConnor

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 12:46 pm

i guess you must a total loser to use these servicesNever used them myself, but I don't have that problem with them.Dating is a grossly inefficient market, and I see no difference between using IT to make dating more efficent and using it to make bond markets better.Bars are not bad places to pick up women, but it's a narrow subset, and of course one can waste depressing time on those who areattached or profoundly not interested.The online dating market seems full of crooks, but one day someone with an acceptable level of integrity and a good matching system will make a great big pile of money.I recall how girlie bars in London were serious rip-offs. Tourists & foreign businessmen would be lured in, see nothing of any interest and be charged horrible amounts of money, and if they argued were threatened by large men.The embarassment factor meant few complained to the police.Then some smart blokes worked out that by not ripping people off as much, they could extract money from lots more people, and get repeat business. Essentially they found a way of getting rich whilst being surrounded by naked women. I have to respect that.
Last edited by DominicConnor on November 23rd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 2:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCI recall how girlie bars in London were serious rip-offs. Tourists & foreign businessmen would be lured in, see nothing of any interestwouldn't a "girlie bar" entail naked women dancing on poles ?Unless there weren't in fact any naked women in there, how could "Tourists & foreign businessmen.....see nothing of any interest" ?

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 2:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ckarakusQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperanyone here who uses these services care to comment ?Lonelystud69 ?i guess you must a total loser to use these servicesLonelystud69 ?

DominicConnor

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 2:08 pm

wouldn't a "girlie bar" entail naked women dancing on poles ?You'd think so wouldn't you ?So did the victims.Alas, often there were no naked women. It was a pure rip off operation. Guess which lecturer on the CQF now grants licences to girlie bars ?
Last edited by DominicConnor on November 23rd, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper
Topic Author

internet dating

November 24th, 2005, 2:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCGuess which lecturer on the CQF now grants licences to girlie bars ?tell us.

almosteverywhere

internet dating

November 26th, 2005, 11:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCi guess you must a total loser to use these servicesNever used them myself, but I don't have that problem with them.Dating is a grossly inefficient market, and I see no difference between using IT to make dating more efficent and using it to make bond markets better.Bars are not bad places to pick up women, but it's a narrow subset, and of course one can waste depressing time on those who areattached or profoundly not interested.The online dating market seems full of crooks, but one day someone with an acceptable level of integrity and a good matching system will make a great big pile of money.I recall how girlie bars in London were serious rip-offs. Tourists & foreign businessmen would be lured in, see nothing of any interest and be charged horrible amounts of money, and if they argued were threatened by large men.The embarassment factor meant few complained to the police.Then some smart blokes worked out that by not ripping people off as much, they could extract money from lots more people, and get repeat business. Essentially they found a way of getting rich whilst being surrounded by naked women. I have to respect that.The stigma against online dating has to die for it to work. I think that it has to be billed as something for the super-busy, not for the desperate.There are lots of inefficiencies in current online dating, and there's plenty of work to be done. If I weren't in grad school, I'd seriously consider launching a dating site, because there's so much room for improvement, which (of course) for an entrepreneur means opportunity. I've used online dating exactly twice. Once I posted a profile and didn't get many responses (this is normal for men). The other time, I contacted a woman. She was much older than I am (and I knew this) but other than that, really cool. I'm now friends with her and it's ambiguous whether or not it'll become more.I think that, once there is "faith in the market" for online dating, there's a lot of potential for it to take off. I don't think it's any more "loserish" than going to bars to meet people.

TraderJoe

internet dating

November 26th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Anyone tried speed dating? Any success stories??

ckarakus

internet dating

November 27th, 2005, 1:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeAnyone tried speed dating? Any success stories??what is speed dating TJ ? let me guess : have a few drinks and then ... you know the rest
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On