TraderJoe
Topic Author

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 12:52 am

Top Inventions of the Last 200 Years?1. Railroad2. Flight3. The Internet

PaperCut

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 3:16 am

In No Order:InternetGenetics Technology (understanding of DNA)Immunological Tech (penicillin et al)FlightModern Democracy (Obsolete)

ppauper

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 1:30 pm

the internal combustion engine ?the microchip ?

ppauper

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 7:08 pm

.50-caliber rifle

player

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 7:10 pm

next 200...nanotechnology??

migalley

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 11:07 pm

H-bomb?

TraderJoe
Topic Author

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 11:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: playernext 200...nanotechnology??Anything specific you can think of player?biotech (cure for cancer, cloning, genetic screening)

JMR

Top Inventions

November 26th, 2005, 11:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperthe internal combustion engine ?QuoteOriginally posted by: playernext 200... maybe the water engine/reactor???????and I hope some instant delivery pizza i'm starving here (it's been 23 minutes since I ordered)

AlanB

Top Inventions

November 29th, 2005, 3:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeTop Inventions of the Last 200 Years?1. Railroad2. Flight3. The InternetQuoting the 2000 year old man : "Prell"

DominicConnor

Top Inventions

November 29th, 2005, 7:44 pm

At the 200 year mark you have to include modern sanitation. Pumping out the doubled the life expectancy of the human race.Transistor : Enabled internet and computers.Antibiotics : Modern medicine.Mass Production: Before this things cost more than people, made slavery not viable, made other inventions lucrative.Polymerisation: Plastics et al.Generation of electricity.The next few jumps up in our society will probably be caused by:An efficient battery: Most modern batteries are still crap, and Farraday who built one of the first would recognise exactly how they work.Cloning/stem cells: How long you live will be a function of your wealth.Nanotech of course.

TraderJoe
Topic Author

Top Inventions

November 30th, 2005, 12:28 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCAt the 200 year mark you have to include modern sanitation. Pumping out the doubled the life expectancy of the human race.Transistor : Enabled internet and computers.Antibiotics : Modern medicine.Mass Production: Before this things cost more than people, made slavery not viable, made other inventions lucrative.Polymerisation: Plastics et al.Generation of electricity.The next few jumps up in our society will probably be caused by:An efficient battery: Most modern batteries are still crap, and Farraday who built one of the first would recognise exactly how they work.Cloning/stem cells: How long you live will be a function of your wealth.Nanotech of course.Yeah, but what? Imagination please people, not buzzwords.

mama

Top Inventions

November 30th, 2005, 11:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCAt the 200 year mark you have to include modern sanitation. Pumping out the doubled the life expectancy of the human race.Transistor : Enabled internet and computers.Antibiotics : Modern medicine.Mass Production: Before this things cost more than people, made slavery not viable, made other inventions lucrative.Polymerisation: Plastics et al.Generation of electricity.The next few jumps up in our society will probably be caused by:An efficient battery: Most modern batteries are still crap, and Farraday who built one of the first would recognise exactly how they work.Cloning/stem cells: How long you live will be a function of your wealth.Nanotech of course.Yeah, but what? Imagination please people, not buzzwords.For me the Dyson vacuum cleaner was a godsend.
Last edited by mama on November 29th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanS

Top Inventions

November 30th, 2005, 11:50 am

In a BBC poll earlier this year the bicycle was voted best invention since 1800 - which is a joke IMHO.The contraceptive pill must be in the top five. As for the next jump, how about Arthur C Clarke's space elevator? Or controlled fusion?

htmlballsup

Top Inventions

November 30th, 2005, 12:24 pm

I think we've had this one before, and the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that it was the thruster fin set up for surfboards.

TraderJoe
Topic Author

Top Inventions

November 30th, 2005, 8:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mamaQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCAt the 200 year mark you have to include modern sanitation. Pumping out the doubled the life expectancy of the human race.Transistor : Enabled internet and computers.Antibiotics : Modern medicine.Mass Production: Before this things cost more than people, made slavery not viable, made other inventions lucrative.Polymerisation: Plastics et al.Generation of electricity.The next few jumps up in our society will probably be caused by:An efficient battery: Most modern batteries are still crap, and Farraday who built one of the first would recognise exactly how they work.Cloning/stem cells: How long you live will be a function of your wealth.Nanotech of course.Yeah, but what? Imagination please people, not buzzwords.For me the Dyson vacuum cleaner was a godsend.Think what it could be with nanotech installed.