SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Top Inventions

October 13th, 2014, 7:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunSmart Battery Tells You When It's About To Explodelol

rmax

Top Inventions

October 13th, 2014, 9:00 pm

WD40

bearish

Top Inventions

October 14th, 2014, 12:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxWD40All of life's problems can be solved with two things: duck tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you need duck tape. And if it doesn't move and it should, you need WD40. --Unknown
Last edited by bearish on October 13th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Top Inventions

January 28th, 2015, 10:53 am

Murray code. Met a guy who could read this code, at his fingertips, literally.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 27th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

Top Inventions

January 28th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Auto memory management, in particular garbage collection.

Collector

Top Inventions

February 19th, 2015, 8:11 pm

$8 voice activated plasma ball : it is the cheapest (and coolest) voice activated remote control for turning on off you touch lamps. The remote control can be far from you and the touch lamp far from the remote, no problems with not finding your remote among your stacks of books anymore.
Last edited by Collector on February 18th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Top Inventions

February 19th, 2015, 8:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Collector$8 voice activated plasma ball : it is the cheapest (and coolest) voice activated remote control for turning on off you touch lamps. The remote control can be far from you and the touch lamp far from the remote, no problems with not finding your remote among your stacks of books anymore.you don't use the clapper anymore /clap on! clap off!

Collector

Top Inventions

February 19th, 2015, 8:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Collector$8 voice activated plasma ball : it is the cheapest (and coolest) voice activated remote control for turning on off you touch lamps. The remote control can be far from you and the touch lamp far from the remote, no problems with not finding your remote among your stacks of books anymore.you don't use the clapper anymore /clap on! clap off!you are right when my voice is tired I clap on! clap off!
Last edited by Collector on February 18th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Top Inventions

February 20th, 2015, 6:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAuto memory management, in particular garbage collection.Are you sure?No scoped connections.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 19th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

Top Inventions

February 20th, 2015, 6:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAuto memory management, in particular garbage collection.Are you sure?No scoped connections.Some people never learned to put away all their toys when they were children. If they didn't, then automated garbage collection won't help. If they did, then they don't need automated garbage collection. (P.S. I jest! AGC is an awesome, if imperfect, invention.)(P.P.S. I count myself among those who never learned to put away all my toys. In fact, I've found that if I do put things away then I lose them.)

Cuchulainn

Top Inventions

February 20th, 2015, 7:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAuto memory management, in particular garbage collection.Are you sure?No scoped connections.Some people never learned to put away all their toys when they were children. If they didn't, then automated garbage collection won't help. If they did, then they don't need automated garbage collection. (P.S. I jest! AGC is an awesome, if imperfect, invention.)(P.P.S. I count myself among those who never learned to put away all my toys. In fact, I've found that if I do put things away then I lose them.)The problem is they are not your toys, you share them with other kids.Is this too sophisseristic?

Traden4Alpha

Top Inventions

February 20th, 2015, 7:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAuto memory management, in particular garbage collection.Are you sure?No scoped connections.Some people never learned to put away all their toys when they were children. If they didn't, then automated garbage collection won't help. If they did, then they don't need automated garbage collection. (P.S. I jest! AGC is an awesome, if imperfect, invention.)(P.P.S. I count myself among those who never learned to put away all my toys. In fact, I've found that if I do put things away then I lose them.)The problem is they are not your toys, you share them with other kids.Is this too sophisseristic?No, not sophisseristic. But perhaps you are becoming a communitarian? Should all property (and all variables) be public?But the issue of shared toys is true -- what should one assume if a toy or variable is still "out" and observable? AGC assumes it's still needed. But that's only true if all children (and coders) are diligent about cleaning up when they are done.

Cuchulainn

Top Inventions

February 20th, 2015, 7:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAuto memory management, in particular garbage collection.Are you sure?No scoped connections.Some people never learned to put away all their toys when they were children. If they didn't, then automated garbage collection won't help. If they did, then they don't need automated garbage collection. (P.S. I jest! AGC is an awesome, if imperfect, invention.)(P.P.S. I count myself among those who never learned to put away all my toys. In fact, I've found that if I do put things away then I lose them.)The problem is they are not your toys, you share them with other kids.Is this too sophisseristic?No, not sophisseristic. But perhaps you are becoming a communitarian? Should all property (and all variables) be public?But the issue of shared toys is true -- what should one assume if a toy or variable is still "out" and observable? AGC assumes it's still needed. But that's only true if all children (and coders) are diligent about cleaning up when they are done.toys should be stored in COMMON BLOCKS.

Cuchulainn

Top Inventions

March 10th, 2015, 9:00 am

"Three times I laid it".

outrun

Re: Top Inventions

April 19th, 2017, 4:07 pm

This looks simple and promising: an ultrasound dryer.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On