SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

exneratunrisk

Beer

March 23rd, 2015, 2:59 pm

In 65 km distance from my home (close to the Bohemian Forrest - my preferred cross country skiing area) a beer sommelier world champion offers about 150 word-wide beers at his small restaurant with rooms (6 from the tap).Up to now, I've tried about 50 - and can't stop. It became a passion, like wine.By experience I became a hopist (as I became a terroirist of wine)---and I learned that not only the industrial but also the garage brewers make beers that I dislike ("craft" doesn't mean so much---artificially constructed/breed yeast?!). And I like the British style over the Belgian and I learned that there are great American and Japanese hops. And great American brewers (experience kills prejudice).New favorites (not rated)Brooklyn Brewery (Surachi Ace---with Japanese hops---that I drink now like Champagne)Flying Dog Brewery (Single hop imperial IPA) p.s. terrible design, btw;)Shepherd Neame (Bishopfinger - Kentish Stromg Ale and the Double Stout)Meantime Brewery (IPA and London Stout)IMO, it's not so much about rare---some rarities are, IMO, overdone: Abstract (a new brand of the Brewdogs - Scotland - I tried the Oak Aged Imperial Weizenbock)
Last edited by exneratunrisk on March 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

Beer

March 23rd, 2015, 3:17 pm

Brewdog likes to overdo, but their flagship beers are nice (Punk IPA, 5 a.m.). Go to Craft Beer (http://thecraftbeerco.com) when you visit London; they have a nice selection of craft beers in all styles.

exneratunrisk

Beer

March 23rd, 2015, 6:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaBrewdog likes to overdo, but their flagship beers are nice (Punk IPA, 5 a.m.). Go to Craft Beer (http://thecraftbeerco.com) when you visit London; they have a nice selection of craft beers in all styles.Totally agree: Brewdog's beers of the "standard" line are usually great. Thank you for the link.
Last edited by exneratunrisk on March 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Beer

March 23rd, 2015, 6:42 pm

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

tagoma

Beer

July 12th, 2015, 6:15 pm

DuffDoh!

katastrofa

Beer

September 24th, 2015, 6:16 pm

:-D

Traden4Alpha

Beer

September 24th, 2015, 6:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa:-DLooks tasty!My fav du jour is Stone's 19th Anniversary Thunderstruck Double IPA.

katastrofa

Beer

September 24th, 2015, 7:08 pm

It's a good rather hoppy beer (I prefer stouts and porters these days, but when I saw the name, I had to try it). It didn't taste Belgian at all to me.Thunderstruck sounds very... AC/DC :-) American, East Coast -- where the true craft beers come from. I've never seen it here.

Traden4Alpha

Beer

September 24th, 2015, 7:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaIt's a good rather hoppy beer (I prefer stouts and porters these days, but when I saw the name, I had to try it). It didn't taste Belgian at all to me.Thunderstruck sounds very... AC/DC :-) American, East Coast -- where the true craft beers come from. I've never seen it here.If you love stouts, you need to visit Boulder, Colorado in February. A local microbrewery (Mountain Sun) hosts "Stout Month" with about 50 different stouts from local craft brewers being offered over a 4 week period (usually there about 8-12 stouts on tap depending on demand and the keg size). There's milk stouts, dry stouts, imperial stouts, coffee stouts, cherry stouts, chai stouts, barrel-aged stouts, nitro stouts, .... etc!Stone is from California and many of their beers can be quite aggressive but in a very complex way. I would not say that the East Coast (e.g., New York ranks 28th of 50 in breweries per capita) is where true craft beer comes from although many fine microbreweries have recently sprouted there.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on September 23rd, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Beer

September 24th, 2015, 11:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa:-DGogol, of course

Jean Piaget

exneratunrisk

Beer

September 25th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I had this one yesterday: Created for the 20th Anniversary of the Durham Brewery - 1994 Imperial Pale Stout

katastrofa

Beer

September 25th, 2015, 5:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaIt's a good rather hoppy beer (I prefer stouts and porters these days, but when I saw the name, I had to try it). It didn't taste Belgian at all to me.Thunderstruck sounds very... AC/DC :-) American, East Coast -- where the true craft beers come from. I've never seen it here.If you love stouts, you need to visit Boulder, Colorado in February. A local microbrewery (Mountain Sun) hosts "Stout Month" with about 50 different stouts from local craft brewers being offered over a 4 week period (usually there about 8-12 stouts on tap depending on demand and the keg size). There's milk stouts, dry stouts, imperial stouts, coffee stouts, cherry stouts, chai stouts, barrel-aged stouts, nitro stouts, .... etc!Stone is from California and many of their beers can be quite aggressive but in a very complex way. I would not say that the East Coast (e.g., New York ranks 28th of 50 in breweries per capita) is where true craft beer comes from although many fine microbreweries have recently sprouted there.I checked that the brewery was in California and I meant *West* Coast. Why do I always get it wrong! :-( Thanks for the recommendation. I should definitely visit California on my next trip to the US. Maybe Wilmotters there won't ignore my beer invitation (as those from Chicago and NYC did :-/)...

Cuchulainn

Beer

September 25th, 2015, 9:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaIt's a good rather hoppy beer (I prefer stouts and porters these days, but when I saw the name, I had to try it). It didn't taste Belgian at all to me.Thunderstruck sounds very... AC/DC :-) American, East Coast -- where the true craft beers come from. I've never seen it here.If you love stouts, you need to visit Boulder, Colorado in February. A local microbrewery (Mountain Sun) hosts "Stout Month" with about 50 different stouts from local craft brewers being offered over a 4 week period (usually there about 8-12 stouts on tap depending on demand and the keg size). There's milk stouts, dry stouts, imperial stouts, coffee stouts, cherry stouts, chai stouts, barrel-aged stouts, nitro stouts, .... etc!Stone is from California and many of their beers can be quite aggressive but in a very complex way. I would not say that the East Coast (e.g., New York ranks 28th of 50 in breweries per capita) is where true craft beer comes from although many fine microbreweries have recently sprouted there.I checked that the brewery was in California and I meant *West* Coast. Why do I always get it wrong! :-( Thanks for the recommendation. I should definitely visit California on my next trip to the US. Maybe Wilmotters there won't ignore my beer invitation (as those from Chicago and NYC did :-/)...Did you go to the Village to drink Brooklyn Lager?

Jean Piaget
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On