SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

samudra
Topic Author

India, a dream becoming reality

January 9th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Rarely in the history has a nation had almost everything working for it. India is the luckiest country in the world now.Almost everything is in favor of India.1. Demographics: Europe and USA is going to drown in the deluge of geriatric baby boomers. Europe is a lost case because it doesnt have a immigration policy at all ( Europe can pretend to be an ostrich with face in the sand only so long). The politicians are destroying US with there selfish interests creating immigration nightmare ( it is unbelievable but true that US immigration rules today favors illegal and low skill immigrants over skilled and high tech workers). Having worked in US for almost 10 years I have started loving US just like India and I feel really sad for US. I like the people in US and more than anything I like the American spirit and dream and it breaks my heart to see how stupid politicians are slowly but steadily digging America's grave.2. Completely broken and ridiculous US immigration policy will make sure that talented person from India and China either cant come at all in US or will be forced to go back since they wont get Green Card. This is a blessing for India and China. Silicon Valley is transfering jobs as never before to India. This jobs are lost forever. More than the jobs I feel US is losing the technology. From what I see 15-20 years from now I would be very surprised if any serious software development at all happens in US or Europe. China will become the hub of hardware and India the hub of software. The digital world is dominating the world economy more than ever. So this shift in technology will be significant.3. The trends in biotech and alternate energy research are also very promising for India. I am almost certain the next 50 years the these are going to be the major tech focus area ( like what is internet today). Unfortunately US doesnt seem to have any alternate energy policy or vision at all.4. India's population is so young and becoming younger every day. Even China will start aging soon. 5. Optimism and feel good factor. Everytime I visit India I see optimism rising. The Indian story is just unfurling. The next 50 years will be dramatic. Finally our day has come.

Cuchulainn

January 9th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 8th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Errrb

January 9th, 2006, 8:26 pm

I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think the majority of educated young people in India share this rosy view. Give them a chance and they will abandon their dreams and personal belongingsat overpopulated motherland and will swim as fast as they can towards US.

TraderJoe

January 9th, 2006, 8:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: samudraRarely in the history has a nation had almost everything working for it. India is the luckiest country in the world now.Almost everything is in favor of India.1. Demographics: Europe and USA is going to drown in the deluge of geriatric baby boomers. Europe is a lost case because it doesnt have a immigration policy at all ( Europe can pretend to be an ostrich with face in the sand only so long). The politicians are destroying US with there selfish interests creating immigration nightmare ( it is unbelievable but true that US immigration rules today favors illegal and low skill immigrants over skilled and high tech workers). Having worked in US for almost 10 years I have started loving US just like India and I feel really sad for US. I like the people in US and more than anything I like the American spirit and dream and it breaks my heart to see how stupid politicians are slowly but steadily digging America's grave.2. Completely broken and ridiculous US immigration policy will make sure that talented person from India and China either cant come at all in US or will be forced to go back since they wont get Green Card. This is a blessing for India and China. Silicon Valley is transfering jobs as never before to India. This jobs are lost forever. More than the jobs I feel US is losing the technology. From what I see 15-20 years from now I would be very surprised if any serious software development at all happens in US or Europe. China will become the hub of hardware and India the hub of software. The digital world is dominating the world economy more than ever. So this shift in technology will be significant.3. The trends in biotech and alternate energy research are also very promising for India. I am almost certain the next 50 years the these are going to be the major tech focus area ( like what is internet today). Unfortunately US doesnt seem to have any alternate energy policy or vision at all.4. India's population is so young and becoming younger every day. Even China will start aging soon. 5. Optimism and feel good factor. Everytime I visit India I see optimism rising. The Indian story is just unfurling. The next 50 years will be dramatic. Finally our day has come.About time really. What took you so long ?!

TraderJoe

January 9th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Double bubble.
Last edited by TraderJoe on January 8th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmologist

January 10th, 2006, 4:44 am

Why you say so TJ? Any economic rationale?cheers

Gamal

January 10th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Let agree - we may discuss what is future (India, China, islam) but Europe is already dead and if we want to organise things properly - it is time to think about the funeral now.

doreilly

January 10th, 2006, 6:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GamalLet agree - we may discuss what is future (India, China, islam) but Europe is already dead and if we want to organise things properly - it is time to think about the funeral now. "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Cuchulainn

January 10th, 2006, 6:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalLet agree - we may discuss what is future (India, China, islam) but Europe is already dead and if we want to organise things properly - it is time to think about the funeral now. "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"It's a bit premature indeed. Look at how, for example Iceland, Ireland, Finland, Spain are doing. Look up the world competitiveness ranking and the Nordic countries are doing.Germany is the world's biggest exporter. And although poverty does exist in Europe, the levels are nowhere like those in India. Let's not be blinded by science.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 9th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal

January 10th, 2006, 6:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalLet agree - we may discuss what is future (India, China, islam) but Europe is already dead and if we want to organise things properly - it is time to think about the funeral now."The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"It's a bit premature indeed. Look at how, for example Iceland, Ireland, Finland, Spain are doing. Look up the world competitiveness ranking and the Nordic countries are doing. Germany is the world's biggest exporter. And although poverty does exist in Europe, the levels are nowhere like those in India. Let's not be blinded by science.Who told you Cuchulainn that rich people don't die? There is one reason for Europe's death - demography. Women's fertility should be at least 2.1 children in order to sustain population size. Fertility of Christian (is there any Christianity in Europe any more?) women is less that 1.4, only muslim women give birth to children.

Cuchulainn

January 10th, 2006, 6:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GamalQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalLet agree - we may discuss what is future (India, China, islam) but Europe is already dead and if we want to organise things properly - it is time to think about the funeral now."The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"It's a bit premature indeed. Look at how, for example Iceland, Ireland, Finland, Spain are doing. Look up the world competitiveness ranking and the Nordic countries are doing. Germany is the world's biggest exporter. And although poverty does exist in Europe, the levels are nowhere like those in India. Let's not be blinded by science.Who told you Cuchulainn that rich people don't die? There is one reason for Europe's death - demography. Women's fertility should be at least 2.1 children in order to sustain population size. Fertility of Christian (is there any Christianity in Europe any more?) women is less that 1.4, only muslim women give birth to children.Some European countries are doing quite well. Ireland, where half of the population is inder 25. Other countries are a bit more problematic I agree.

ppauper

January 10th, 2006, 6:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Gamal There is one reason for Europe's death - demography. Women's fertility should be at least 2.1 children in order to sustain population size. Fertility of Christian (is there any Christianity in Europe any more?) women is less that 1.4, only muslim women give birth to children.

doreilly

January 10th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Quote........................Who told you Cuchulainn that rich people don't die? There is one reason for Europe's death - demography. Women's fertility should be at least 2.1 children in order to sustain population size. Fertility of Christian (is there any Christianity in Europe any more?) women is less that 1.4, only muslim women give birth to children.two wordsCom edy

doreilly

January 10th, 2006, 6:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Gamal There is one reason for Europe's death - demography. Women's fertility should be at least 2.1 children in order to sustain population size. Fertility of Christian (is there any Christianity in Europe any more?) women is less that 1.4, only muslim women give birth to children.http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/0 ... age.jpgfuk it, look what you did, you woke up ppauper.

TraderJoe

January 10th, 2006, 8:58 pm

I'd say that between us, the axis of the USA, Western Europe and Japan pretty much have had things sewn up for the past 350 years or so, if not longer . China and India are simply being "integrated" into our way of doing business .
Last edited by TraderJoe on January 9th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On