SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
TraderJoe
Topic Author
Posts: 11048
Joined: February 1st, 2005, 11:21 pm

Big Brother

January 30th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Who here watches this nonsense (besides City Wok) ?
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Big Brother

January 31st, 2006, 2:22 pm

evidently it's just you, TJ
 
User avatar
TraderJoe
Topic Author
Posts: 11048
Joined: February 1st, 2005, 11:21 pm

Big Brother

January 31st, 2006, 10:52 pm

Quote

Originally posted by: ppauper
evidently it's just you, TJ

Never seen it ppauper? BTW, what did you make of "Brokeback Mountain"?

Last edited by TraderJoe on January 31st, 2006, 11:00 pm
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Big Brother

February 1st, 2006, 1:48 pm

Quote

Originally posted by: TraderJoe
Quote

Originally posted by: ppauper
evidently it's just you, TJ

Never seen it ppauper?

never (neither the US version nor the UK)
I don't like that genre of reality TV.
I've caught a couple of episodes of the amazing race when I've been channel flicking and it's been in a city I've been to/want to visit, so that it's basically a travel show.

Quote

what did you make of "Brokeback Mountain"?


that's the one about the two cowboys buggering each other ?
haven't seen it, won't see it.
Did you ?
 
User avatar
TraderJoe
Topic Author
Posts: 11048
Joined: February 1st, 2005, 11:21 pm

Big Brother

February 1st, 2006, 10:03 pm

Quote

Originally posted by: ppauper
Quote

Originally posted by: TraderJoe
Quote

Originally posted by: ppauper
evidently it's just you, TJ

Never seen it ppauper?

never (neither the US version nor the UK)
I don't like that genre of reality TV.
I've caught a couple of episodes of the amazing race when I've been channel flicking and it's been in a city I've been to/want to visit, so that it's basically a travel show.

Quote

what did you make of "Brokeback Mountain"?


that's the one about the two cowboys buggering each other ?
haven't seen it, won't see it.
Did you ?

Nope.

 
User avatar
tagoma
Posts: 18233
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm

Big Brother

February 16th, 2014, 1:55 pm

the one at 6'20'' is worth watching.

Neknomination
Last edited by tagoma on February 15th, 2014, 11:00 pm
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 56683
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: Big Brother

September 14th, 2018, 10:26 pm

RIP Big Brother
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 3:13 pm

the insurance company John Hancock is going to require their life insurance customers to wear "fitness trackers"
 
User avatar
bearish
Posts: 3589
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 3:56 pm

ppauper wrote:
the insurance company John Hancock is going to require their life insurance customers to wear "fitness trackers"


That is a rather blatant lie. They are offering discounts on their life insurance for customers who enrol in their “Vitality Plus” program. But somebody on the internet that you don’t even bother to quote said what you said...
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 68468
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 4:52 pm

bearish wrote:
ppauper wrote:
the insurance company John Hancock is going to require their life insurance customers to wear "fitness trackers"


That is a rather blatant lie. They are offering discounts on their life insurance for customers who enrol in their “Vitality Plus” program. But somebody on the internet that you don’t even bother to quote said what you said...

you're off your meds again. What you posted was at best a half-truth.
Britain's BBC:
One of the largest life insurance providers in North America will no longer offer policies that do not include digital fitness tracking. John Hancock will now sell only "interactive" policies that collect health data through wearable devices such as a smartwatch.
 
User avatar
bearish
Posts: 3589
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 5:44 pm

ppauper wrote:
bearish wrote:
ppauper wrote:
the insurance company John Hancock is going to require their life insurance customers to wear "fitness trackers"


That is a rather blatant lie. They are offering discounts on their life insurance for customers who enrol in their “Vitality Plus” program. But somebody on the internet that you don’t even bother to quote said what you said...

you're off your meds again. What you posted was at best a half-truth.
Britain's BBC:
One of the largest life insurance providers in North America will no longer offer policies that do not include digital fitness tracking. John Hancock will now sell only "interactive" policies that collect health data through wearable devices such as a smartwatch.


Quoting from your source: “John Hancock said customers would not have to log their activities to qualify for coverage - but they would not benefit from the discounts if they chose not to.”
 
User avatar
Paul
Posts: 8530
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 5:54 pm

I think someone needs to read the small print! There’s “wearing” the device and “logging the data” mentioned. There’s still a big gap between the two of you on what is exactly meant.
 
User avatar
bearish
Posts: 3589
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 7:22 pm

Paul wrote:
I think someone needs to read the small print! There’s “wearing” the device and “logging the data” mentioned. There’s still a big gap between the two of you on what is exactly meant.


This shouldn’t be that hard to understand. Hancock is using discounts, games and rewards (like a free Amazon prime membership) to incentivize their life insurance policy holders to participate in their Vitality program, including reporting activity tracking data. Would I sign up for this? No. I assume they will balance this with a program where they encourage their retirement and annuity customers to smoke and take up dangerous hobbies...
 
User avatar
Paul
Posts: 8530
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: Big Brother

September 21st, 2018, 7:42 pm

It’s not. And I am part of such a program (not the Fitbit bit though). And it’s really annoying!

There are insurance companies who ask young drivers to have trackers in their cars. Again, I don’t know whether it’s compulsory. But one day it will be.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...