SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war

February 24th, 2006, 7:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerDumb hippie missionaries. Just be thankful it's localized, next time they could be spending money to try to help you.

doreilly
Topic Author

My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war

February 24th, 2006, 7:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetaWell I've just had an incredible lunch and three pitchers of guiness, so it's a little unwise responding in this state DCFC but I'll take a shot at it. I can't help feel that what you're rejecting is cultural Christinaity, or that there is some redemptive value in actions, or in belonging to a church, some flavor of Christ or Christianity....is this correct? If so, we're on the same page. If you'd like to hear my background and why I am who am then I'd be happy to oblige, but don't worry I don't bible bash. As to the original topic, I could have sworn this issue of an Iraqi civil war was discussed in the early nineties. I remember a conversation on cnn on this topic. I was in high school at the time; a friend and I were watching in his converted garage in suburban Brisbane Australia and a statement was made to the effect ala Shi'ites vs Sunni 'boy, these people really hate each other'. The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?Sunni's believe that the first four caliphs, Mohammed's successors are the legitimate successors of Mohammed. .Shiites in contrast, believe that only the heirs of the fourth caliph, Ali, are the legitimate successors of Mohammed.

doreilly
Topic Author

February 24th, 2006, 7:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: zetaWell I've just had an incredible lunch and three pitchers of guiness, so it's a little unwise responding in this state DCFC but I'll take a shot at it. I can't help feel that what you're rejecting is cultural Christinaity, or that there is some redemptive value in actions, or in belonging to a church, some flavor of Christ or Christianity....is this correct? If so, we're on the same page. If you'd like to hear my background and why I am who am then I'd be happy to oblige, but don't worry I don't bible bash. As to the original topic, I could have sworn this issue of an Iraqi civil war was discussed in the early nineties. I remember a conversation on cnn on this topic. I was in high school at the time; a friend and I were watching in his converted garage in suburban Brisbane Australia and a statement was made to the effect ala Shi'ites vs Sunni 'boy, these people really hate each other'. The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?Sunni's believe that the first four caliphs, Mohammed's successors are the legitimate successors of Mohammed. .Shiites in contrast, believe that only the heirs of the fourth caliph, Ali, are the legitimate successors of Mohammed.In other words, it is no different than catholics V protestants, you use the verbage to suit your cause, shaken not stirred.

zeta

February 24th, 2006, 7:21 pm

yumpin yimminy crickets

zeta

February 24th, 2006, 7:24 pm

I'm not sure if I'm being addressed (dor you're cool in my books) but Catholics vs Protestantism is a whole nuther thread; do we want to go there? I'm good for it

zeta

February 24th, 2006, 7:31 pm

okay I'll start; there are unifying threads to catholicism and protestantism as well as flavors of Islam ED: usually involves love and mutual respect; honesty about believing what we do, not that we have some express knowledge as to the afterlife and reward which we suppose we've earnt vs the honesty to admit that we can't earn favor and that it is a gift?
Last edited by zeta on February 23rd, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

February 24th, 2006, 7:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper>>My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war(b) you got a lot more than that -- I'd encourage you to go to Iraq and see for yourself !b) I am more a city person, ones that are left standing that is, but list three other things that I have gotten and I will think about ityou should really go see the benefits in person !

doreilly
Topic Author

February 24th, 2006, 8:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper>>My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war(b) you got a lot more than that -- I'd encourage you to go to Iraq and see for yourself !b) I am more a city person, ones that are left standing that is, but list three other things that I have gotten and I will think about ityou should really go see the benefits in person !So in other words, "My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war"

ppauper

February 24th, 2006, 8:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: doreillyQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper>>My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war(b) you got a lot more than that -- I'd encourage you to go to Iraq and see for yourself !b) I am more a city person, ones that are left standing that is, but list three other things that I have gotten and I will think about ityou should really go see the benefits in person !So in other words, "My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war"no, in other words, there are a myriad of benefits which you need to see in person to full appreciate

mdubuque

February 25th, 2006, 3:04 am

However, because well over 99% of the nation is off limits to us because of serious concerns that we would be murdered within 45 minutes (only the Green Zone is relatively safe), direct experience of this enormous paradise which Rumsfeld hath wrought and ppauper refers to is, of course, impossible.matthewppauper said:no, in other words, there are a myriad of benefits which you need to see in person to full appreciate
Last edited by mdubuque on February 24th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmologist

February 25th, 2006, 9:06 am

THE other day,I saw in my dreams, Bush telling Mrs Bush- "I might be a bag-head but I am a true son of the soil and a true christian.I am fullfilling the wish of my father. I will concqure Iraq and history will remeber the 'bushes' for saving christianity."AMENWhat a tragic world. cann't recognise the satan. God said, satan will be amongst you and will wreck havoc by making people fight each other. societies and civilisations will be destroyed. - I have edited the post to play safe.
Last edited by cosmologist on February 24th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdubuque

February 25th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Let my footer be my response?Matthew

doreilly
Topic Author

February 25th, 2006, 5:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuqueHowever, because well over 99% of the nation is off limits to us because of serious concerns that we would be murdered within 45 minutes (only the Green Zone is relatively safe), direct experience of this enormous paradise which Rumsfeld hath wrought and ppauper refers to is, of course, impossible.matthewppauper said:no, in other words, there are a myriad of benefits which you need to see in person to full appreciateYes, he has ever been accused of subtlety.

N

February 25th, 2006, 6:52 pm

My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil warStop complaining... It's our crusade to convert these non-believers to creationism, and crusades ain't cheap. Edit: To remove all those ugly, disgusting (but all too true) remarks about pp's religious beliefs.
Last edited by N on February 25th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptible

February 26th, 2006, 10:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: cosmologistTHE other day,I saw in my dreams, Bush telling Mrs Bush- "I might be a bag-head but I am a true son of the soil and a true christian.I am fullfilling the wish of my father. I will concqure Iraq and history will remeber the 'bushes' for saving christianity."AMENWhat a tragic world. cann't recognise the satan. God said, satan will be amongst you and will wreck havoc by making people fight each other. societies and civilisations will be destroyed. - I have edited the post to play safe.Unfortunately for my country, Bush's political playbook is the Bible.Could the guy be a bigger scew-up?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On