SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TraderJoe

My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war

January 29th, 2007, 10:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleBush's Armageddon ObsessionQuote"We will export death and violence to the four corners of the earth in defense of this great nation." Uh-oh.

TraderJoe

My government spent $242,993,320,124 in Iraq and all I got was this lousy civil war

January 29th, 2007, 10:46 pm

Quote"mission accomplished"Can we execute Bush and Blair now?

farmer

February 1st, 2007, 7:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleleads to a winWe already won. More US soldiers have died in Iraq than civilians in the US in the War on Terror. Terrorists choose terror on civilians because they are incapabale of waging war. If we force them to abandon terror and attempt war, we have won

dibble

February 1st, 2007, 7:54 pm

I did not know it was over. Would you have the end date available, so I can mark it in my diary.
Last edited by dibble on January 31st, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptible

April 23rd, 2007, 9:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibble1) I would be interested in the name of the study2) So it is an open ended study? Have they not come to a conclusion? Why is the study still going ?3) If the reduction in violence was linear (and it is not) then I agree that it may look like that the US has 'control over the situation." But we do have "Correlation V Causation". I assume that this has been covered in the study. Otherwise we may have to leave the troops in Iraq for all time. After all, the insurgents may just be waiting at home watching "Oprah" until the troops leave.4) What is your definition of "win he war"I think the below web link touches upon the major points that tbonds was trying to make.The point was that the U.S. can win this war if it wants to assuming is sends over enough troops (draft anyone?). The other point, or question really, is assuming that the U.S. wins what do they do next? What is the strategy for the Iraq once it's under control? I think the answer to that question will decide the answer to the first and whether we can/should stay the course.Doubling Down in Iraq
Last edited by skeptible on April 23rd, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

April 23rd, 2007, 10:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: skeptibleQuoteOriginally posted by: dibble1) I would be interested in the name of the study2) So it is an open ended study? Have they not come to a conclusion? Why is the study still going ?3) If the reduction in violence was linear (and it is not) then I agree that it may look like that the US has 'control over the situation." But we do have "Correlation V Causation". I assume that this has been covered in the study. Otherwise we may have to leave the troops in Iraq for all time. After all, the insurgents may just be waiting at home watching "Oprah" until the troops leave.4) What is your definition of "win he war"I think the below web link touches upon the major points that tbonds was trying to make.The point was that the U.S. can win this war if it wants to assuming is sends over enough troops (draft anyone?). The other point, or question really, is assuming that U.S. wins do they do next? What is the strategy for the Iraq once it's under control? I think the answer to that question will decide the answer to the first and whether we can/should stay the course.Anybody remember Viet Nam? (Those who fail to learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them). So you can "win" the hearts and minds eh? Good luck, you're off to a good start . Mission accomplished.
Last edited by TraderJoe on April 24th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dibble

May 2nd, 2007, 4:04 pm

Unfortunately for the GOP, Bush's own words have rendered the Churchill comparison absurd. Churchill called for blood, toil, tears and sweat. Bush called for tax breaks for the rich and continued shopping. He didn't raise taxes, or impose a gas tax, or institute a draft, or in any way put the country on a war footing. Asked by "The NewsHour's" Jim Lehrer why he hadn't asked Americans to sacrifice anything for the war, Bush replied, "Well, you know, I think a lot of people are in this fight. I mean, they sacrifice peace of mind when they see the terrible images of violence on TV every night ... And one thing we want during this war on terror is for people to feel like their life's moving on." Yes, that certainly has the Churchillian ring to it.Last refuge of the scoundrel

TraderJoe

May 2nd, 2007, 8:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleUnfortunately for the GOP, Bush's own words have rendered the Churchill comparison absurd. Churchill called for blood, toil, tears and sweat. Bush called for tax breaks for the rich and continued shopping. He didn't raise taxes, or impose a gas tax, or institute a draft, or in any way put the country on a war footing. Asked by "The NewsHour's" Jim Lehrer why he hadn't asked Americans to sacrifice anything for the war, Bush replied, "Well, you know, I think a lot of people are in this fight. I mean, they sacrifice peace of mind when they see the terrible images of violence on TV every night ... And one thing we want during this war on terror is for people to feel like their life's moving on." Why doesn't someone just sack this bozo. Sheesh! And I thought Reagan was bad .
Last edited by TraderJoe on May 1st, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

May 2nd, 2007, 8:39 pm

we should outsource wars. it's too expensive to rely on our highly paid consultants ... i mean soldiers. i think that outsourcing would make it 100 times cheaper and wouldnt strain the budget

TraderJoe

May 2nd, 2007, 8:46 pm

Good idea. Let's send all those Indians and Chinese guys to kick some ass on our behalf

quantmeh

May 2nd, 2007, 11:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeGood idea. Let's send all those Indians and Chinese guys to kick some ass on our behalf actually, it's even simpler. you hire local contractors

skeptible

May 3rd, 2007, 9:13 am

I guess we're done talking about this topic constructively.

ppauper

May 3rd, 2007, 2:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeGood idea. Let's send all those Indians and Chinese guys to kick some ass on our behalf actually, it's even simpler. you hire local contractorsway back when, before we invaded afghanistan to tackle Al Qaeda following 9/11,I advocated sending in mercs to kill them.

TraderJoe

May 3rd, 2007, 7:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeGood idea. Let's send all those Indians and Chinese guys to kick some ass on our behalf actually, it's even simpler. you hire local contractorsway back when, before we invaded afghanistan to tackle Al Qaeda following 9/11,I advocated sending in mercs to kill them.What a man.

migalley

May 3rd, 2007, 7:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeGood idea. Let's send all those Indians and Chinese guys to kick some ass on our behalf actually, it's even simpler. you hire local contractorsway back when, before we invaded afghanistan to tackle Al Qaeda following 9/11,I advocated sending in mercs to kill them.What a man.Perhaps they should have sent in NZers to do the job, then they could have bashed, burgled, buggered Osama, AND run him down in their car.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On