SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

phenomenologist

I'm losing faith in physicists

March 23rd, 2006, 8:45 pm

Okay, here's the last one:A philosopher once said "It is necessary for the very existence of science that the same conditions always produce the same results." Well, they do not.-- Richard Feynman

TraderJoe

March 23rd, 2006, 11:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOnly mathematicians believe they have the answer to everythingIn a sense, this is true. In maths, you define your world and then prove everything about it. With physics, you look at the stars and ask yourself, "well how did I get here?". Mathematicians don't have this problem.That's coz they don't live in the real world

TraderJoe

March 23rd, 2006, 11:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetaN,sometimes even SU(2) is sufficient in NMR, depends what you do. As cuch has implied we don't have the luxery of saying 'here's an idea, universe conform to it' and you have to remember that math is tool for us and nothing more. I think theoreticians shouldget in the lab occasionally and try some experiments and vice versa and the hard sciences would be a much more productive industry. If our work and conjectures don't benefit mankind in some way then what's the point? That's like saying, what's the point of math? Shame on you zeta.

TraderJoe

March 23rd, 2006, 11:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: N>> I'm losing faith in physicistspauper,I guess your prayer session for me last week didn't help. Edit: I pray for more math types on Wilmott. It'd be fun to discuss somthing like 'vertex algebras'.Off you go then. PS - Well said farmer.
Last edited by TraderJoe on March 23rd, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrenvilleCroll

March 24th, 2006, 12:49 am

Is Princeton a good university for studying physics?

N
Topic Author

March 24th, 2006, 2:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollIs Princeton a good university for studying physics?Can't you at least stay on-topic in this off-topic forum.

GrenvilleCroll

March 24th, 2006, 8:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: NQuoteOriginally posted by: GrenvilleCrollIs Princeton a good university for studying physics?Can't you at least stay on-topic in this off-topic forum. Oh, all right then.The 20th century physics economical gravy train continues. Nobody wants to shake the boat and say something radical lest they lose the support of their funding bodies. But the standard models is crap. It has 18 arbitrary unexplained parameters, and a major unresolved paradox.The chances of the standard model, or worse, string theory, of producing major insights into reality leading to near to medium term benefits to society is nil. The work of Anton Zeilinger and his team continues to highlight the severe inadequacies of the standard model.And anyway, the cosine of the Weinberg angle is exactly 17/19.So there.

ckarakus

March 24th, 2006, 9:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOnly mathematicians believe they have the answer to everythingIn a sense, this is true. In maths, you define your world and then prove everything about it. With physics, you look at the stars and ask yourself, "well how did I get here?". Mathematicians don't have this problem.that is what makes pure math the coolest thing on the earth : you dont have to deal with earthy things

ckarakus

March 24th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Quotequants Psychology students believe they have the answer to everything. what is quant psychology? may it be the type of work TJ does

Cuchulainn

March 25th, 2006, 10:17 am

Quotethat is what makes pure math the coolest thing on the earth : you dont have to deal with earthy things Indeed. The closest to maths is theology. Both work with a small number of immutable axioms. They have much in common.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 24th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

Cuchulainn

March 25th, 2006, 10:38 am

QuoteThe chances of the standard model, or worse, string theory, of producing major insights into reality leading to near to medium term benefits to society is nil. The work of Anton Zeilinger and his team continues to highlight the severe inadequacies of the standard model.There is a trend in mathematics to abstract away everything to oblivion. For example, a group is an entity that is characteristerised by 3 hard to rememebr axioms or are groups to be seen all around us? Remember cubes and geometric transformations.I wonder what Carl Friedrich would have to say if he were alive today?
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

N
Topic Author

March 25th, 2006, 1:10 pm

I wonder what Carl Friedrich would have to say if he were alive today?You can faintly hear while standing over his grave, "Use group theory to solve NLPDEs".

N
Topic Author

March 25th, 2006, 1:12 pm

There is a trend in mathematics to abstract away everything to oblivion. Can't help it! Everything is just a rotation.

ppauper

March 25th, 2006, 1:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: N>> I'm losing faith in physicistsI guess your prayer session for me last week didn't helpwe'll keep trying.

N
Topic Author

March 25th, 2006, 4:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: N>> I'm losing faith in physicistsI guess your prayer session for me last week didn't helpwe'll keep trying.pp,While we're on this off-topic of an off-topic... There are many beautiful old churches for sale. If I buy one, install automated trading infrastructure, and trade FX there, how many pips a day do you think that would be worth to me. I ask this because athletes pray before games to improve their chance of winning. I suspect the same should apply to financial trading. No?N
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On