Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags

Re: hey sugar dads

June 20th, 2021, 7:51 pm

I am really surprised (or shocked would be the right word probably) that we dont have any sugar quants. Oh boy all these maths seems to leave so little time for the real good stuff among our fellow brothers. I was talking to a French sugardad(atleast thats what he proudly proclaimed) and he told me that 90% of the rich men in France are sugar daddies and it is a well known and accepted fact (he even told that having a sweet candy is a matter of status symbol in France and there have been cases where wives have threatened divorce for those laggards who failed to establish themselves as sugar dads). Infact he was making fun of the "extremely dull boring upright" English bankers who are sycophants of there wives and dont have the capability and more importantly courage to humor, snare and bring under spell young beauty queens.Now please dont consider this email biased or that I have anything against British tigers per se. Just what I heard.But when I look at the leaders of these nations I suspect there may be some truth in what he said.Mr Blair is no doubt a whining puppy dog of his wife(he takes so many doggy roles , dog of Mr Bush, dog of his wife it can be so confusing at times). I dont know about Mr Chirac but Mr Mitterand created quite a furore long time back when he fondled and caressed his cutie Lolita in front of his approving wife to the envious shock of Indian politicians during his visit. DCFC,You mean to say Mrs DCFC implied British bankers are stinky scrooges and that is the reason why they never succeed as sugar dads? Mrs DCFC it seems to me is a very very intelligent lady to sugar coat such hyperboles and you must be a very smart (or maybe just goddamned lucky who knows) to get such a wife. Figaro,I like your swapping musical chair sugar dad algorithm. Farmer,What I meant was if you are single then the moniker sugar dad cant be applied to you. May be we can use the term "sugar boy" instead. Papercut,If you are one of those very very rare guys who have found the perfect wife, love etc etc then heartfelt congrats. On the other hand if you dont fit into the above classification and failed to apply dynamic hedging to your portfolio my sympathies for you and wish you good luck.

Any up-to-date view on this?

Cuchulainn

June 21st, 2021, 10:32 am

katastrofa

June 21st, 2021, 9:49 pm

Mitterrand’s lolita? The woman was in her 40s, about 10 yrs his junior; with social status and money of her own. I can't imagine a self-respecting man hosting some social parasite these days. It's 21st century, most jobs don't require physical strength and most skills can be learnt from the Internet. Woman make money and support themselves. Only some insults to womanhood keep asking men for money and help.

bearish

June 22nd, 2021, 12:29 am

Well, in the US, six figure student loans are a thing. I can see the incentive to try and whittle those down a little, even at the cost of a few “dates” with some unsavory characters of my age.

katastrofa

June 22nd, 2021, 8:47 am

I'm not sure whose version to believe, but there seem to be many myths around the student loans. They've been popular in many countries for years and didn't inspire prostitution. Relocation to countries with free education - yes.

bearish

June 22nd, 2021, 11:44 am

The student loans are real. Total balance is currently somewhere in the $1.6-1.7 trillion range, roughly double total credit card balances. The estimated cost of attending Rutgers (New Jersey’s flagship university, just as an example) is around $40,000 per year - as a resident of NJ. For non-residents, you can tack on another 20, bringing the tab closer to the average cost of attending a private school you have heard of (or as an out-of-state student at one of the UCs). Note that you cannot just move to a state to become a resident there for tuition purposes. As an undergrad, that is almost always totally dependent on where your parents live. Financial aid depends primarily on the parents’ perceived ability to pay, and not at all on their willingness. So, the system contains some seeds of potential financial stress. Mind you, I’m not advocating for prostitution as a regular funding strategy, merely indicating that I can see the incentives. And we haven’t even touched on those without the wherewithal to get into an expensive school…

katastrofa

June 22nd, 2021, 7:53 pm

I actually got a postdoc offer from Rutgers years back, which I rejected for reasons I now can't comprehend. Another life's huge mistake, huge mistake... I collect them. I remember a colleague there told me that they had robust financial aid for poor students and waived fees if one worked e.g. as teaching assistant.

Of course everything is wrong with unis operating like investment funds rather than academic institutions, but I'm wondering if the student loans leave people in such a desperate position, i.e. with their legs spread? In Germany student loans have always been popular - people get a job and slowly pay them back. My mother and my ex also got them - both had them waived for high grades in full or partly, but others I knew didn't perform so well and paid back small chunks at low interest over many years. I wanted a loan but didn't qualify, so I worked during my studies (private tutor, translator, kitchen help, hostess, ... and got a research job only after MSc - my PhD "studies" were in fact a regular job). I'm glad I had that experience. Another family sent their daughter (privately educated at a top NJ school, but later their financial circumstances tragically changed) to Europe to study for free to become a medical doctor. I doubt it crossed their mind to ask someone to sponsor her - what a life lesson and start would it be for her? (She works too, even if being beautiful and charming, she'd easily get a "loan" from many men.) I work with people who came to Norway for free education. In the UK you'll meet lots of people from the most exotic corners of the world working to pay for their degree. Another question is why pay at all, if online courses can train them just as well and get a job these days.

I'm under the impression that as global idiocratisation progresses, there's a growing group of people who prefer to cry for help and money rather than work hard and pursue personal development. Hard work behind any success is being degraded to the level of pure luck or ex-post facto privileges. More and more those who shamelessly expect a share of the money growing on trees in your orchard, claim your work to advance their own career, or become prostitutes as an easy way to gain income... Abilities, hard work and prudence meet with suspicions and distrust. Time to evacuate to Mars :-)

Evil immoral cat.

bearish

June 22nd, 2021, 8:25 pm

I would not for a moment categorize prostitution in general as “an easy way to gain income”, although that grey area between opportunistic dating and playing the role of a well kept sugar baby doesn’t look too hard from a distance. Please note, I have only observed this from a distance, if at all.

As for the whole US university funding situation, it is very problematic. If you can get into a highly selective school, you will more often than not find that financial aid will be available to cover the gap between what the university thinks your parents should be able to contribute and their estimated cost of attendance. So, out of a total price tag of $60,000 per year, they may offer you $30,000. But, typically, a chunk of that will be in the form of a loan. Should your parents not be up for funding your studies, you need to work awfully long hours to pay the bill (with after-tax income) along the way. And should you earn a merit scholarship (not unheard of, but often not all that large and impactful), that will just reduce your need-based financial aid, since your ability to pay just went up. Tuition grants for TAs, RAs, and such are generally part of graduate student funding packages. Undergrads in such roles (rare at research universities, but common at liberal arts colleges) are normally just paid by the hour.

katastrofa

June 22nd, 2021, 8:56 pm

@I would not for a moment categorize prostitution in general as “an easy way to gain income”

In many ways easier than other jobs, and I'm not thinking about being a drug dealer or a mafia hitman.

Seriously, I'd definitely recommend those parents sending kids to Europe.

katastrofa

June 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm

I was intrigued by the building and googled it. They went rainbow these days:

Mafia entered the business in the US I heard. An extended version of human trafficking? And if you agree nicely to transfer your assets to your wifey, you can even walk away on healthy legs.

Cuchulainn

June 23rd, 2021, 6:48 pm

That pub is in Lisdoonvarna, near Cliffs of Moher as you know.

You need to have land
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3hsJW6yLxo

Great surfing!