SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

Re: archaeology

May 23rd, 2018, 7:40 am

Collector

June 24th, 2018, 9:58 pm

I studied archaeology and now my life is in ruins, may be not such a bad thing after all?

Everybody should be forced to build buildings with high probability of becoming nice ruins. After this civilization there will not be much ruins, but mostly rubble trouble. Low quality buildings = low quality ruins = rubble!

Cuchulainn

July 14th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Archaeology is found in other places than just the Holy Lands (and 500 years before them).

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/07 ... newgrange/

Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 14th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Cuchulainn

July 14th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Collector wrote:
 I studied archaeology and now my life is in ruins, may be not such a bad thing after all?

Everybody should be forced to build buildings with high probability of becoming nice ruins. After this civilization there will not be much ruins, but mostly rubble trouble. Low quality buildings = low quality ruins = rubble!

You need Tim Finnegan

Bygmester Finnegan, of the Stuttering Hand, freemen's mau-rer, lived in the broadest way immarginable in his rushlit toofarback for messuages before joshuan judges had given us numbers or Helviticus committed deuteronomy (one yeastyday he sternely struxk his tete in a tub for to watsch the future of his fates but ere he swiftly stook it out again, by the might of moses, the very water was eviparated and all the guenneses had met their exodus so that ought to show you what a pentschanjeuchy chap he was!) and during mighty odd years this man of hod, cement and edifices in Toper's Thorp piled buildung supra buildung pon the banks for the livers by the Soangso. He addle liddle phifie Annie ugged the little craythur. Wither hayre in honds tuck up your part inher. Oftwhile balbulous, mithre ahead, with goodly trowel in grasp and ivoroiled overalls which he habitacularly fondseed, like Haroun Childeric Eggeberth he would caligulate by multiplicables the alltitude and malltitude until he seesaw by neatlight of the liquor wheretwin 'twas born, his roundhead staple of other days to rise in undress maisonry upstanded (joygrantit!), a waalworth of a skyerscape of most eyeful hoyth entowerly, erigenating from ext to nothing and celescalating the himals and all, hierarchitectitiptitoploftical, with a burning bush abob off its baubletop and with larrons o'toolers clittering up and tombles a'buckets clottering down. 

bearish

July 14th, 2018, 8:51 pm

All right, now I can honestly say that I have read two whole sentences of Joyce. I don't really see number three coming any time soon...

Cuchulainn

July 14th, 2018, 10:17 pm

bearish wrote:
All right, now I can honestly say that I have read two whole sentences of Joyce. I don't really see number three coming any time soon...

I'm rehearsing it for a party next week. Those present will be a mix of sheep farmers, builders, COBOL programmers, banana importers and old Etonians..

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Alan

July 16th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:

Interesting. 

One circle/spiral I get: the sun.

Two circles/spirals: the sun and moon.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/spirals.htm

But, three spirals (Triskelion, your avatar): unique to Ireland? Tempting to say earth, sun, moon, but that seems to require way too much astronomy for 3500 BC. So, if not that, then what? Just pleasing symmetry that occurred to some ancient artist and got propagated? Mystery?

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2018, 2:56 pm

I have no idea. Maybe the Neoliths loved destroying the countryside with graffiti. Actually, I can see the Hill of Dowth from my mountainy cottage some 50 km in the distance. I reckon they could communicate withe the fort on nearby Slieve Gullion.

I taught Numerical Analysis  in St. Patrick's College while back when Tony O'Farrell was Maths Prof. He wrote up some stuff

http://archive.maths.nuim.ie/staff/aof/ ... ciples.pdf
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 16th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Alan

July 16th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Thanks. 

Thinking a little more, probably missing the obvious (for triskelion):

female fertility symbol (or just abstract representation of female form).

If so, ... the common orientation is upside down!

ppauper
Topic Author

September 16th, 2018, 9:31 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...