SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Re: Magyar Televízió

December 28th, 2017, 2:08 am

so Gurbanguly  is our s.o.b.
Unfortunately, with foreign relations & diplomacy you get a multiple-choice test not a fill-in-blank test.

trackstar

December 28th, 2017, 2:33 am

Technically, I think that should be "news" sources, but that is splitting hairs. I happily consume a news diet of the FT, NYT, Economist, Bloomberg. and various internet sources, some of which in Norwegian. We had a household subscription to the WSJ from the mid 80's until around 2007, but once it turned into a pure political play it became irrelevant at best, and mostly annoying. I used to like their weekend wine critics, though; Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, and in particular their OTBN concept. As for our hyper-active poster, he (they) did become rather indignant a while ago when I suggested his (their) posts were really the product of a Russian troll farm. But then again, I guess that would be part of the program...
On the quotes - agreed - in fact I was thinking that "news sources" might be even more appropriate.

Same daily reading here (except for the native language Nordic...).  Also The New York Times Book Review and Times Literary Supplement on the weekends.
But for our purposes here, Foreign Affairs is a good choice.  That was standard fare at home when I was growing up, along with National Geographic and several science magazines, including Nature.

ppauper

December 28th, 2017, 6:17 am

so Gurbanguly  is our s.o.b.
Unfortunately, with foreign relations & diplomacy you get a multiple-choice test not a fill-in-blank test.
so what is the multiple-choice test on Gurbanguly, who is one of the world's worst dictators?

ppauper

December 28th, 2017, 9:57 am

got it, bearish likes to get his news from sources that present a subset of facts that he likes and he dislikes sources that don't comport with his world view.
There doesn't seem to any doubt that Breitbart accurately reported what Hungary's prime minister said. Or that the news sources favored by bearish didn't find what Hungary's prime minister said newsworthy. I used the search tool on both the NYT and Boston Globe websites and there's no sign of it.

I did find an article about Donald Tusk of all people saying something not that different back in October 2017,
The European Union must do more to defend its external borders against migrants, EU chief Donald Tusk said Tuesday, describing Europe as a "cultural community" whose heritage must be preserved.

bearish

December 28th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Technically, I think that should be "news" sources, but that is splitting hairs. I happily consume a news diet of the FT, NYT, Economist, Bloomberg. and various internet sources, some of which in Norwegian. We had a household subscription to the WSJ from the mid 80's until around 2007, but once it turned into a pure political play it became irrelevant at best, and mostly annoying. I used to like their weekend wine critics, though; Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, and in particular their OTBN concept. As for our hyper-active poster, he (they) did become rather indignant a while ago when I suggested his (their) posts were really the product of a Russian troll farm. But then again, I guess that would be part of the program...
On the quotes - agreed - in fact I was thinking that "news sources" might be even more appropriate.

Same daily reading here (except for the native language Nordic...).  Also The New York Times Book Review and Times Literary Supplement on the weekends.
But for our purposes here, Foreign Affairs is a good choice.  That was standard fare at home when I was growing up, along with National Geographic and several science magazines, including Nature.
Oh - while I was not trying to be comprehensive, I should have included CNN for breaking news and MSNBC for analysis. Their Hayes/Maddow/O’Donnell weekday evening shows rival the old Thursday night NBC lineup for entertainment value, even if the underlying theme is a rather dark one.

trackstar

December 28th, 2017, 1:32 pm

No, and still not comprehensive, I'm sure.  Watch for a new thread on think tanks soon!

A New Year's gift for the political side of the forum. :D

tagoma

April 9th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Gamal

April 9th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Winners always win. Like Angela Merkel.

tw

April 9th, 2018, 9:46 pm

And Putin.... But no regions of more than 100% of the vote this year. He must be losing his grip.

ppauper

April 10th, 2018, 10:04 am

And Putin.... But no regions of more than 100% of the vote this year. He must be losing his grip.
detroit was notable for 2 things in the 2016 election: 95% of the ballots went to hillary and there were more votes than voters. Combine those and hillary got more than 100%

bearish

April 10th, 2018, 10:40 am

detroit was notable for 2 things in the 2016 election: 95% of the ballots went to hillary and there were more votes than voters. Combine those and hillary got more than 100%
Repeating a lie often enough must make it come true... If you had the slightest interest in the topic you would undoubtedly be aware that a state audit found no evidence of voter fraud in Detroit in the 2016 presidential election.

ppauper

April 10th, 2018, 11:15 am

Repeating a lie often enough must make it come true... If you had the slightest interest in the topic you would undoubtedly be aware that a state audit found no evidence of voter fraud in Detroit in the 2016 presidential election.
who said anything about voter fraud:? 
But that's your way isn't it, you make a  very specific denial to a general charge. Then you run around screaming "liar" to give it added effect.

if you had the slightest interest in the truth, which would be  a refreshing change, you would undoubtedly know that the "discrepancy" was ascribed to "errors by poll workers."
But why would it be voter fraud? If you wanted to rig an election, ballot stuffing by poll workers (or conversely discarding the ballots of voters who voted for the other candidate) is a lot easier than having boatloads of   people vote early and often

ppauper

April 21st, 2018, 6:47 am

tw

April 22nd, 2018, 6:02 pm

Hungary is a local place, for local people.

Cuchulainn

April 22nd, 2018, 6:56 pm

• I never knew the old Vienna before the war with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm. Constantinople suited me better. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On