October 18th, 2017, 6:26 am

ppauper

Re: UK going to the dogs

October 20th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Paul

October 20th, 2017, 10:13 pm

ppauper wrote:

It's felt like that for years. Make eye contact in NYC you will end up having an interesting, but usually bizarre, conversation with someone who should be in a mental hospital. Always friendly. Make eye contact in London you get knifed.

Cuchulainn

October 20th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Nah, NYC is not dangerous. Friendly people.
Times Square in the early 70s was scary. But it had character.
No one in London ever said a bad thing to me.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

Paul

October 21st, 2017, 8:45 am

Cuchulainn wrote:

That's because no one in London speaks. The convention on meeting is no longer a polite "How to you do?" but is now to throw acid in each other's face.

ppauper

October 21st, 2017, 9:41 am

president trump should try this
Heavily pregnant British woman told to prove she's from the UK to get NHS treatment - after taking Polish husband's surname
A spokesman for Addenbrooke’s said the letter was part of a pilot scheme to stop overseas patients getting certain types of free healthcare on the NHS and that non-emergency maternity patients were asked in appointment letters to bring the proof of residence.

in the US, emergency rooms are inundated with uninsured illegals, and by law the hospitals cannot refuse to treat them. So the cost is passed on to the patients who actually pay, either by themselves or through an insurance company.

I can imagine what the haters would say if trump did what the brits do

ppauper

October 21st, 2017, 9:56 am

ppauper wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Oxford University student who stabbed her Tinder lover in a drink and drug fuelled row could be spared jail by a judge because she's 'extraordinary' and it would damage her surgeon career

I'm not a psychiatrist, but I've got a feeling she may be looney tunes, which should probably disqualify her from being a heart surgeon, even without having to take a few months off from med school to go to prison

Lavinia Woodward: Oxford University student deemed 'too clever for prison' spared jail for stabbing boyfriend

'Extraordinary' student Lavinia Woodward who was spared jail after stabbing her ex-boyfriend could return to Oxford University

does this "too clever for jail" thing only apply to semi-attractive young women, or do the denizens of wilmott have free license to do whatsoever they desire without fear of repercussions?

katastrofa

October 21st, 2017, 10:08 am

Paul wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

That's because no one in London speaks. The convention on meeting is no longer a polite "How to you do?" but is now to throw acid in each other's face.

The appropriate reply to which is "U2 do fine", without mentioning their last album.

Paul

October 21st, 2017, 12:33 pm

katastrofa wrote:
Paul wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

The appropriate reply to which is "U2 do fine", without mentioning their last album.

They have more than one album? I didn't know they had more than the one song. The one that starts with the jangly guitar.

Cuchulainn

October 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm

Paul wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Paul wrote:

They have more than one album? I didn't know they had more than the one song. The one that starts with the jangly guitar.

That old triangle goes jingle-jangle guitar, along the banks of the Royal Canal.

Brace yourself; @0.41 is horrendous. Brendan Behan would turn in his grave were he alive today.
Hubris.

Cuchulainn

October 21st, 2017, 12:51 pm

P.S. give me the Boomtown Rats anyday.

(Sorry, Paul).

katastrofa

October 21st, 2017, 6:47 pm

Paul wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Paul wrote:

I believe they released another album about famine in Africa after visiting Poland last year.

Cuchulainn

October 22nd, 2017, 8:01 am

Paul

October 22nd, 2017, 8:16 am

It's an interesting fact that Irish musicians only ever have one good song. Boomtown Rats and "I don't like Mondays," Waterboys "Whole of the Moon," and U2 with the jangly one. The exception is Val Doonican who had a vast catalogue of moving and inspirational songs.

Cuchulainn

October 22nd, 2017, 8:26 am

Val's songs were kept easy so that people could understand them.

The Waterboys are English?

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...