SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: UK going to the dogs

April 15th, 2018, 8:11 am

the UK PM used the salisbury incident as part of her rationale for the strike on syria,

Wow! What was she thinking at the time? 

Paul

April 15th, 2018, 11:50 am

ppauper wrote:
bearish wrote:
Duly noted, you trust Putin over Western sources, which would also be entirely consistent with your view on Syria. So, your adoration of Trump is fading fast?

it's obvious to most people that we haven't been told the whole truth about the skripal poisoning by the UK government, but you're holding to the line that anyone who questions the narrative is a russian stooge
The "facts" have changed repeatedly (we were told  the poison was in a gift she brought back from moscow, then it was in the car vents, and the current fact is that a deadly nerve agent was put on the door handle, but it didn't kick in until they both collapsed simultaneously what, 3, 4 ,5 hours later and in the interim they went about their business obliviously, which doesn't seem to make sense. And probably a few more scenarios that I've missed.. Maybe there was a scottish piper spraying poison out of his bagpipes (that one was austin powers not james bond 007))
Because we haven't been told the whole truth, and we have been told half-truths and untruths, we really don't know what happened, and there are a whole bunch of possible scenarios. One of which is that it was putin and the russians, but that's not the only scenario, there are plenty of others who could have done this.

The enemy of conspiracy theories is daylight. If the UK government told us what it actually knows, and what it doesn't know, and published the OPCW report (the confidential one that is restricted to "States Parties" not the public one which just says that the results are in the other report), we'd have a much clearer picture of what actually happened. And know how likely it is that russia did this and how likely it is that it was someone else
And yes, just because the UK government has lied about this and repeatedly changed their story doesn't necessarily mean that russia is telling the truth.It's quite possible that they're both lying

the UK PM used the salisbury incident as part of her rationale for the strike on syria,
Theresa May: we must deter chemical attacks both in Syria and UK – video

I would assume that many innocent things are going on (and possibly not so innocent):
1. Demand for 24-hour news, the flimsiest of new news will get big coverage
2. Timescale for analysis and investigation much longer than people's attention spans these days
4. People like to gossip, speak to reporters, makes them seem more important than they are (I know I do!)
5. Whistleblowing is protected more than it used to be, regardless of veracity
6. Need to keep many things secret, during and after the investigation, maybe in perpetuity
And so on. Nothing really surprising. Nothing we don't see everywhere. And still very few conspiracy theories turn out to have any basis in reality. 

ISayMoo

April 15th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Some people think that there are some wise heads in the government, cranking the data and striving for the best possible outcome, trying to avoid unnecessary war and destruction.

It's only after 50 years or so, when historian collate people's memoirs, state archives and other documents, do we learn how much the tragic events were shaped by common greed, stupidity, miscommunication or the lack of it, or just pure chance.

tw

April 15th, 2018, 11:04 pm

What happened to #3??
What are you not telling us? Is it just me or have there been more of these conspiracies since the start of the WIC?

Paul wrote:
ppauper wrote:
bearish wrote:
Duly noted, you trust Putin over Western sources, which would also be entirely consistent with your view on Syria. So, your adoration of Trump is fading fast?

it's obvious to most people that we haven't been told the whole truth about the skripal poisoning by the UK government, but you're holding to the line that anyone who questions the narrative is a russian stooge
The "facts" have changed repeatedly (we were told  the poison was in a gift she brought back from moscow, then it was in the car vents, and the current fact is that a deadly nerve agent was put on the door handle, but it didn't kick in until they both collapsed simultaneously what, 3, 4 ,5 hours later and in the interim they went about their business obliviously, which doesn't seem to make sense. And probably a few more scenarios that I've missed.. Maybe there was a scottish piper spraying poison out of his bagpipes (that one was austin powers not james bond 007))
Because we haven't been told the whole truth, and we have been told half-truths and untruths, we really don't know what happened, and there are a whole bunch of possible scenarios. One of which is that it was putin and the russians, but that's not the only scenario, there are plenty of others who could have done this.

The enemy of conspiracy theories is daylight. If the UK government told us what it actually knows, and what it doesn't know, and published the OPCW report (the confidential one that is restricted to "States Parties" not the public one which just says that the results are in the other report), we'd have a much clearer picture of what actually happened. And know how likely it is that russia did this and how likely it is that it was someone else
And yes, just because the UK government has lied about this and repeatedly changed their story doesn't necessarily mean that russia is telling the truth.It's quite possible that they're both lying

I would assume that many innocent things are going on (and possibly not so innocent):
2. Timescale for analysis and investigation much longer than people's attention spans these days
4. People like to gossip, speak to reporters, makes them seem more important than they are (I know I do!)
6. Need to keep many things secret, during and after the investigation, maybe in perpetuity
And so on. Nothing really surprising. Nothing we don't see everywhere. And still very few conspiracy theories turn out to have any basis in reality. 

katastrofa

April 16th, 2018, 12:08 am

He forgot about #3 - early stages of dementia due to high animal protein intake.
Go vegan!

Paul

April 16th, 2018, 9:14 am

tw wrote:
What happened to #3??
What are you not telling us?  Is it just me or have there been more of these conspiracies since the start of the WIC?

Paul wrote:
ppauper wrote:

That was one of my little jokes. I had my prediction for who would mention it first. I was wrong!

Cuchulainn

April 16th, 2018, 9:38 am

tw wrote:
What happened to #3?? 

There is no requirement that numbers be contiguous. The list could be a selection from a larger list. Just because the others are contiguous don't mean nothing.

katastrofa

April 16th, 2018, 10:07 am

My prediction is Paul thought it would be Traden4Alpha.

ppauper

April 16th, 2018, 10:07 am

is this britain's version of DACA?
Anger as 'Windrush generation' face deportation threat

Thousands of people who arrived in the UK as children in the first wave of Commonwealth immigration face being threatened with deportation.
They have lived and worked in the UK for decades but many are now being told they are here illegally.
(snip)
The problem arises from the fact that under the 1971 Immigration Act, all Commonwealth citizens already living in the UK were given indefinite leave to remain - but the right to free movement between Commonwealth nations was ended from that date onwards.
However, the Home Office did not keep a record of those granted leave to remain or issue any paperwork confirming it, meaning it is difficult for the individuals to now prove they are in the UK legally.
The Migration Observatory at Oxford University estimates there are 500,000 people resident in the UK who were born in a Commonwealth country and arrived before 1971.

so the UK government is going to deport 500,000 people who came to the UK legally as children and have been in the country since before 1971?
these people  haven't done anything wrong, the issue is that the UK government didn't bother to keep records

And I assume there's a parallel with the EU if the UK lets EU nationals who entered the UK before some cut-off date stay. Will they keep records so they know which EU nationals can stay and which can't?

Cuchulainn

April 16th, 2018, 10:30 am

katastrofa wrote:

There's a deeper issue..

BTW tw wrote "#3", it should have been "3.".

Paul

April 16th, 2018, 12:04 pm

katastrofa wrote:

He was number two. (And Elie was numbersix.)

Cuchulainn

April 16th, 2018, 12:14 pm

#12?

tagoma

April 16th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
#12?

#12 - missing #3 = #9    Satanic!

Cuchulainn

April 16th, 2018, 1:47 pm

tagoma wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
#12?

#12 - missing #3 = #9    Satanic!

tw

April 16th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
tw wrote:
What happened to #3?? 

There is no requirement that numbers be contiguous. The list could be a selection from a larger list. Just because the others are contiguous don't mean nothing.

That is exactly what the deep state want you to think
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...