SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
katastrofa
Posts: 5794
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 5:36 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 10th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Paul wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Apologies if I misunderstood something. It wasn't deliberate. I just disagree with what I understood from your comment and leave it there. (No dopamine is released to my brain when I think of this stuff.)

I, and rmax, aren't saying anything particularly novel. And there's nothing really to disagree with. There are different reasons and levels of, let's say, injustice, in the world. It seem unlikely to be optimal for everyone to get histrionic about absolutely everything all of the time. 
And Cuch is right about upbringing. Were these people never told the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?!

I agree it's not possible to make a Black person and a racist / a woman and a sexist / a gay and a homophobe happy at the same time.
 
User avatar
Paul
Posts: 8403
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 11th, 2018, 5:26 am

You are doing it again, even if you say you aren't! 

Two comments:

1. You don't have to resort to baddie/goodie examples. That's you trying to wind people up again. You could stick to religious/minority for which there are many clashes. Often involving baked goods for some reason

2. A black person can be racist, a woman can be sexist, your third example is more robust

(I'm going to start a thread on your comment about 'the same PDE,' which sounds like a topic on which we might agree.)
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 55979
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 11th, 2018, 5:54 am

katastrofa wrote:
I agree it's not possible to make a Black person and a racist / a woman and a sexist / a gay and a homophobe happy at the same time.

Have you considered Venn?
Image
 
User avatar
katastrofa
Posts: 5794
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 5:36 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 12th, 2018, 2:01 am

Paul wrote:
You are doing it again, even if you say you aren't! 

Two comments:

1. You don't have to resort to baddie/goodie examples. That's you trying to wind people up again.

I didn't know you had an exclusive licence for that.

Paul wrote:
That's you trying to wind people up again. You could stick to religious/minority for which there are many clashes. Often involving baked goods for some reason

2. A black person can be racist, a woman can be sexist, your third example is more robust

(I'm going to start a thread on your comment about 'the same PDE,' which sounds like a topic on which we might agree.)

Seriously, there is no insincerity or manipulation in what you don't understand in me or I don't understand in you. We just have some ideological differences. I appreciate the complexity of the problem and the definition of tolerance, or rather the relativism of people's perspectives and schemas (religious, cultural, personal, etc.). They sure inspire many conflicts. I think we essentially differ in the preferred approach to solving them: you seem to put the players on a level field, while I think it's fairer to handicap the stronger ones. I know it sometimes fails (vide the phenomenon of self-engineered single mothers from third world countries at British universities - I fear at the next stage they might start to disable their children), but that's still the only chance for many honest people. That's all I wanted to say.
 
User avatar
Paul
Posts: 8403
Joined: July 20th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 12th, 2018, 5:55 am

katastrofa wrote:
Seriously, there is no insincerity or manipulation in what you don't understand in me or I don't understand in you. We just have some ideological differences. I appreciate the complexity of the problem and the definition of tolerance, or rather the relativism of people's perspectives and schemas (religious, cultural, personal, etc.). They sure inspire many conflicts. I think we essentially differ in the preferred approach to solving them: you seem to put the players on a level field, while I think it's fairer to handicap the stronger ones. I know it sometimes fails (vide the phenomenon of self-engineered single mothers from third world countries at British universities - I fear at the next stage they might start to disable their children), but that's still the only chance for many honest people. That's all I wanted to say.

Nicely put. A few minutes spent thinking about unintended consequences would solve many of the world's problems!
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 67450
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 12th, 2018, 5:08 pm

The former British Ambassador to the US has been rushed to hospital following a horrific attack at Victoria station in London.

Sir Christopher Meyer, 74, was beaten bloody by two attackers at Victoria Station in London on Wednesday, hours after he published an essay supporting President Donald Trump’s visit to the UK Thursday.
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 55979
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 12th, 2018, 6:57 pm

ppauper wrote:
The former British Ambassador to the US has been rushed to hospital following a horrific attack at Victoria station in London.

Sir Christopher Meyer, 74, was beaten bloody by two attackers at Victoria Station in London on Wednesday, hours after he published an essay supporting President Donald Trump’s visit to the UK Thursday.

Is that the reason he was attacked? How savvy is a 15/61 year old in matters of Trump? 
Circumstantial evidence? Pure coincidence?
I know how you like juxtaposing events and 'reactions'. 

From the Guardian

The attack, a day before Donald Trump is due to visit the UK, is not believed to have been politically motivated, despite suggestions by the former Ukip leader Nigel Farage.

//
ppauper's reporting is very awful sloppy these days.
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 67450
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 12th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
The former British Ambassador to the US has been rushed to hospital following a horrific attack at Victoria station in London.

Sir Christopher Meyer, 74, was beaten bloody by two attackers at Victoria Station in London on Wednesday, hours after he published an essay supporting President Donald Trump’s visit to the UK Thursday.

Is that the reason he was attacked? How savvy is a 15/61 year old in matters of Trump? 
Circumstantial evidence? Pure coincidence?
I know how you like juxtaposing events and 'reactions'. 

From the Guardian

The attack, a day before Donald Trump is due to visit the UK, is not believed to have been politically motivated, despite suggestions by the former Ukip leader Nigel Farage.

//
ppauper's reporting is very awful sloppy these days.


Nigel Farage seems to feel there is a connecton
 
User avatar
bearish
Posts: 3240
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 1:13 am

ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
The former British Ambassador to the US has been rushed to hospital following a horrific attack at Victoria station in London.

Sir Christopher Meyer, 74, was beaten bloody by two attackers at Victoria Station in London on Wednesday, hours after he published an essay supporting President Donald Trump’s visit to the UK Thursday.

Is that the reason he was attacked? How savvy is a 15/61 year old in matters of Trump? 
Circumstantial evidence? Pure coincidence?
I know how you like juxtaposing events and 'reactions'. 

From the Guardian

The attack, a day before Donald Trump is due to visit the UK, is not believed to have been politically motivated, despite suggestions by the former Ukip leader Nigel Farage.

//
ppauper's reporting is very awful sloppy these days.


Nigel Farage seems to feel there is a connecton

And, what does that have to do with, like, anything?
 
User avatar
katastrofa
Posts: 5794
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 5:36 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 2:28 am

Do you trust Nigel Farage, ppauper?
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 67450
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 6:20 am

katastrofa wrote:
Do you trust Nigel Farage, ppauper?

compared to other british politicians, yes
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 55979
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 6:42 am

ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
The former British Ambassador to the US has been rushed to hospital following a horrific attack at Victoria station in London.

Sir Christopher Meyer, 74, was beaten bloody by two attackers at Victoria Station in London on Wednesday, hours after he published an essay supporting President Donald Trump’s visit to the UK Thursday.

Is that the reason he was attacked? How savvy is a 15/61 year old in matters of Trump? 
Circumstantial evidence? Pure coincidence?
I know how you like juxtaposing events and 'reactions'. 

From the Guardian

The attack, a day before Donald Trump is due to visit the UK, is not believed to have been politically motivated, despite suggestions by the former Ukip leader Nigel Farage.

//
ppauper's reporting is very awful sloppy these days.


Nigel Farage seems to feel there is a connecton

He would say that, wouldn't he., He has nothing else to do.
Anyways, it was sloppy journalism from ppauper. 

MRDA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandy_Rice-Davies
 
User avatar
Cuchulainn
Posts: 55979
Joined: July 16th, 2004, 7:38 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 6:48 am

ppauper wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Do you trust Nigel Farage, ppauper?

compared to other british politicians, yes

Nigel Farage is not  a British politician. 

Farage had unsuccessfully contested British parliamentary elections for UKIP five times, both before and after his election as an MEP in 1999.

Sararīman,
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 67450
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 7:25 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Do you trust Nigel Farage, ppauper?

compared to other british politicians, yes

Nigel Farage is not  a British politician. 

Farage had unsuccessfully contested British parliamentary elections for UKIP five times, both before and after his election as an MEP in 1999.

Sararīman,



politician
noun
a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office.

Nigel Lord Farage is (or at least was) a British politician
your argument seems to be that he was a failed politician rather than a non-politician
He may have failed to win a seat in the british parliament, but he succeeded in securing and winning a refereundum
"Funny, isn’t it? When I came here 17 years ago and I said that I wanted to lead a campaign to get Britain to leave the EU, you all laughed at me. Well I have to say, you’re not laughing now, are you?"


If PM May has indeed sold the Brexiteers down the river, I suspect the EU crowd are laughing once again
 
User avatar
katastrofa
Posts: 5794
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 5:36 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Re: UK going to the dogs

July 13th, 2018, 9:20 am

ppauper wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Do you trust Nigel Farage, ppauper?

compared to other british politicians, yes

But do you believe Farage specifically? (Trust seem quite binary to me.)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...