SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: UK going to the dogs

February 5th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Those were times where people like you were sitting in those offices. Things have changed.

Cuchulainn

February 5th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Those were times where people like you were sitting in those offices. Things have changed.
And you could see the pecking order by the tables:

Contractors: battered 1950s grey metal
Staff: varnished plywood
Managers: oak
etc.

It's all different now. All changed, changed utterly.A terrible beauty is born.

ISayMoo

February 5th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Or by cars: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/c ... and-sport/
I also know it was no ordinary model. It was a “super”, which, though I didn’t know it at the time, must have meant my dad was selling more timber than had been expected by his bosses. That’s how a good performance was measured back then. Not by a pay rise or a lunch at the Berni Inn. But by a Cortina that had a clock or a rev counter. Or maybe both.
A company car was a perk, a reward, a doggy chew and a pat on the head for good behaviour. And because it was such an enormous thing — to be given an entire car by your company — it became the measure of your worth. And because of that, about 80% of all new cars back then were company-bought. Which meant in essence they were either Fords, Austins or Vauxhalls.
I remember Simon Shepherd saying his dad was going to get a Sunbeam Rapier. And Nigel Thompson reckoned his dad had a BMW CSL, but these were playground myths. Nobody’s dad sold that much timber.

Paul

February 5th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Obvs response: “There’s no one like me.”

katastrofa

February 8th, 2019, 11:48 pm

If Tories appreciate the phenomenon of strategic voting, they should cut out such boils from the club: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47173445
He should be stripped off his title too, imho.

tw

February 9th, 2019, 5:22 pm

If Tories appreciate the phenomenon of strategic voting, they should cut out such boils from the club: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47173445
He should be stripped off his title too, imho.
It is acutely frustrating that he is taking up a seat in the House of Commons that could be occupied by someone who actually wants to accomplish something ,

Paul

February 9th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Have you heard his explanation?

tw

February 9th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Have you heard his explanation?
His views on Private members bills are well documented.

But surely getting bills passed rather than shooting down the work of others is how history judges.

Paul

February 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I heard him being interviewed after the upskirting thing. I don’t understand the workings of the HoC but his heart seemed to be I n the right place, in the sense that he wanted the law passed but didn’t like the way parliament was going about it. Given the way that precedent seems to be a thing of the past (e.g. Bercow) he might be attempting to return to a time when the system worked, as opposed to what we are seeing now. You could say he’s doing this in a particularly clunky way. But then again if he didn’t choose these stupid battles he would be part of the problem. As long as no one gets hurt in the time between when the law could have been passed and when it is passed then the only damage is to him. And it’s easy to criticize him because of the subjects that make the headlines. It would ultimately be worse if we ended up with a Dictatorship of the Speaker for example. But what do I know? All I do know is that when someone keeps doing something dumb it’s often worth looking into more deeply than having the obvious knee-jerk reaction.

Or I could be wrong.

ISayMoo

February 9th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Since private members bills do pass into law from time to time, he doesn't block *all* of them. He seems to focus his ire on bills enhancing women's rights or protecting women from abuse. Interesting.

tw

February 9th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Since private members bills do pass into law from time to time, he doesn't block *all* of them. He seems to focus his ire on bills enhancing women's rights or protecting women from abuse. Interesting.
Don't forget his applying the "object" strategy to pardoning Alan Turing, banning wild animals from circuses, exempting carers from hospital car parking
charges and returning art stolen by the Nazis to holocaust victims. But I am sure it all about procedure and nothing relating to partisan political beliefs.

It is not as if there isn't much private members chicanery going on with the sujet du jour to object to.

katastrofa

February 9th, 2019, 11:27 pm

Yeah, that was the second, obscure meaning of my comment (:-/)- that he's apparently using tactical voting himself. Even if he has the Parliamentary diligence at heart, he can't game the system / hack the rules he's obliged to follow. If he can't argue his position like a politician (e.g. how would he reconcile his ideas with the problem of Parliament's efficiency and workload?), he's not fit for his job. I don't believe in the motivations he declares, though. Not going into details, he's not consistent in them and there's a curious pattern in the Bills he blocks (as tw describes above), which makes me suspect that he's just a lowbred sexist abusive bigot (a typical English "nobility"). Actually, since the Bill he last blocked was about child abuse, he must be simply a psycho.

ISayMoo

February 9th, 2019, 11:57 pm

This is hilarious.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... bbott.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... d-bed.html

In short: Corbyn's women dumped him because he bored them to death.

Paul

February 10th, 2019, 7:05 am

@tw, Kat, ISM I still think there’s something interesting here other than “he’s a throwback to less informed times.” But I don’t think anyone cares unfortunately.

@ISM Excellent article. But isn’t that true of all in the left? They are all joyless. The lefties I know are mostly dreary and bitter. They never smile, except in that condescending way as if to say “Oh, dear, you don’t understand do you? Let me explain, again. I’ve seen what it’s like for the poor/disenfranchised/minorities.” (Said between mouthfuls of caviar at an Islington dinner party, or in their third home in Tuscany, or at a reunion of their public school chums.) I could write a thesis about the facial expressions of people on the left and the photographs the various media use in their stories!

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On