SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tw

Re: UK going to the dogs

April 1st, 2018, 9:34 pm

Here is an a good trivia question (no googling!). If you remove the Baltic states (who it would appear are statistically a bunch of psychos) which EU27 country had the highest murder rate? Or "intentional homicide rate" as Wikipedia prefers.

bearish

April 1st, 2018, 10:46 pm

I have been saying for years that NYC is far safer than London, provided you stay out of certain NYC neighbourhoods. For an average person doing average things there is no doubt which is the safer, and friendlier, city.
At this point in time you will actually have to work pretty hard to find an NYC neighborhood that is honestly dangerous. This set of statistics is city-wide, and shows violent crime rates down 70%-90% since 1990 (which was still below the peak): NYC Crime Stats. I moved here in the early 90's and thus have seen the change.

ppauper

April 2nd, 2018, 5:24 am

I have been saying for years that NYC is far safer than London, provided you stay out of certain NYC neighbourhoods. For an average person doing average things there is no doubt which is the safer, and friendlier, city.
A US politician (I can't remember who) got screamed at by the brits about 15-20 years ago for saying that, and his point at the time was that most murders in NYC at the time were things like drug deals gone bad with comparatively few innocents being killed. If you're a law-abiding citizen minding your own business, london is far more dangerous

katastrofa

April 2nd, 2018, 6:16 am

Ukrainian mothers-in-law...comedy gold!
I was brought up by my grandparents, noble people.

ISayMoo

April 2nd, 2018, 6:47 am

A US politician (I can't remember who) got screamed at by the brits about 15-20 years ago for saying that, and his point at the time was that most murders in NYC at the time were things like drug deals gone bad with comparatively few innocents being killed. If you're a law-abiding citizen minding your own business, london is far more dangerous
US is definitely much safer if you're white.

Gamal

April 2nd, 2018, 8:47 am

If you remove the Baltic states (who it would appear are statistically a bunch of psychos) which EU27 country had the highest murder rate? 
Large Russian minorities. Sorry, ppauper.

tw

April 2nd, 2018, 9:06 am

Some stats from List of countries by intentional homicide rate

Belgium 1.95
Finland 1.6
France 1.58
Romania 1.49
Sweden 1.15
Denmark 0.99
UK 0.92
Germany 0.85
Greece 0.85
Italy 0.78

Here is an a good trivia question (no googling!). If you remove the Baltic states (who it would appear are statistically a bunch of psychos) which EU27 country had the highest murder rate? Or "intentional homicide rate" as Wikipedia prefers.

ppauper

April 2nd, 2018, 9:35 am

Some stats from List of countries by intentional homicide rate

Belgium 1.95
Finland 1.6
France 1.58
Romania 1.49
Sweden 1.15
Denmark 0.99
UK 0.92
Germany 0.85
Greece 0.85
Italy 0.78

turkey with 4.30 wants to join the EU

Gamal

April 2nd, 2018, 9:39 am

Russia 11.31

15 times more than for instance neighbour Poland. That's why it's so bad with Baltic states - they have many Russians. All nations have proverbs which tell us everything about them. For Russia it is

Есть человек — есть проблема, нет человека — нет проблемы.

tw

April 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

I don't know how statistically significant any of those numbers were (and they all looks a few years old) but what
surprised me was that, South European countries seem lower than north Europe
(so much for cliches of hot blooded Mediterraneans), there didn't seem too much of a significant east vs west divide,
the Scandis seemed to be quite high ranking (all that Nordic Noir can't be wrong!) and les Belges at 1.95 ?!?
What goes on in that place???
Russia 11.31

15 times more than for instance neighbour Poland. That's why it's so bad with Baltic states - they have many Russians. All nations have proverbs which tell us everything about them. For Russia it is

katastrofa

April 2nd, 2018, 3:04 pm

Russia 11.31

If you skip ca 500 km of Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus or Ukraine (because these are not the statistics just for Kaliningradskaya Oblast, I suppose).

The significance of the differences between small numbers are one thing, but there's also always an issue of underreporting negative phenomena or concominant factors (in this case e.g. the quality of emergency services and healthcare; for more detailed study, one should probably also look at the number of attacks - lethal or not, but then again, there would be differences in reporting, etc.).

Gamal

April 2nd, 2018, 5:51 pm

the Scandis seemed to be quite high ranking (all that Nordic Noir can't be wrong!) and les Belges at 1.95 ?!?
EU, Manneken pis, chocolate and beer. Nothing more AFAIK.
Manneken pis, chocolate and beer seem to be rather harmless, it must be EU.

Collector

April 2nd, 2018, 7:24 pm

"A worsening outlook for life expectancy in the UK is expected to boost the profits of insurance companies by hundreds of millions of pounds when they report results this week."

https://www.ft.com/content/dc7337a4-1c9 ... 74d7dabfb6

Paul

April 2nd, 2018, 8:51 pm

EU, Manneken pis, chocolate and beer. Nothing more AFAIK.
Manneken pis, chocolate and beer seem to be rather harmless, it must be EU.
They also do mussels and chips. Although the EU will be the underlying cause, a bad mussel could be the trigger for a bit of homicide. 

Paul

April 2nd, 2018, 9:09 pm

Ukrainian mothers-in-law...comedy gold!
I was brought up by my grandparents, noble people.
You really do know how to kill the mood! :)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On