SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: UK going to the dogs

August 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I like Anglican churches. I visited them rarely (for sightseeing or chamber music) and heard the preachers only a few times, but I can imagine it's a place I would go to if I needed to feel for a moment that I am not completely crazy. Ironically, this scene also gives me such reassurance :-)

ISayMoo

September 6th, 2019, 10:00 pm

bearish

September 7th, 2019, 1:09 am

"Dumb" would seem to be a succinct summary.

Paul

September 21st, 2019, 6:32 pm

John Humphrys, middle of the road presenter, leaves BBC and writes for Daily Mail. Both become more left wing.

Cuchulainn

September 22nd, 2019, 7:02 am

I stopped listening to the BBC World Service when they stopped playing that fine Ulster-Scots catchy tune Lilliburlero, when it became too outward looking (is that left-wing?) and when John Peel passed.

And blackout during the Falklands war and the actor to impersonate Gerry Adams.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkE0Iz2fauM&t=108s
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

Paul

September 22nd, 2019, 7:28 am

I just watch Strictly. Haven’t watched their news for ages, and deleted their news app a couple of years ago.

Cuchulainn

September 22nd, 2019, 9:56 am

I don't watch Newsnight anymore. 
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

Paul

September 24th, 2019, 8:59 pm

The Supreme Court (!) has made a judgement over what it is allowed to make a judgement. Well, I’ve just made a judgement over what I can make a judgement about in my family. So it’s curry for every meal!

bearish

September 25th, 2019, 12:33 am

I'd object to curry for breakfast on an ongoing basis. But one does get the impression that Messrs Johnson and Rees-Mogg kind of hate the rule of law at the moment, because it doesn't let them do what they want to do. And let's not even get started on the Parliament! If we could just get rid of these silly obstacles, the true will of the people would prevail. However briefly...

Paul

September 25th, 2019, 1:40 am

That’s the point. One group of judges said one thing. Another said the opposite. It wasn’t even clear whether they had any jurisdiction. But guess what? They decided that they did!

Every convention/precedent that the UK system relies on has been torn up and thrown away by remainers.

It might all end well. If we don’t leave then we Brexiteers will cope. In my experience Brexiteers are generally nice people. They don’t foam at the mouth like remainers.

BTW it’s now called the rule of lawyers.

bearish

September 25th, 2019, 2:37 am

I think you are probably right, to a point. Your tribe of Brexiteers have the money and other resources to manage either way. In a Brexit scenario, you will be better off relative to the rest of the population, because you have access to all the loopholes and workarounds. So even if everybody is poorer, you will be less so, and you are at the part of the income/wealth distribution where relative wealth is far more important than absolute wealth. I'm probably channeling Veblen here. And if no Brexit, as long as Corbyn doesn't take over, you'll be just fine.

Paul

September 25th, 2019, 3:00 am

Or:

The tribe of Remainers have the money and other resources to manage either way. In a Brexit scenario, they will be better off relative to the rest of the population, because they have access to all the loopholes and workarounds. So even if everybody is poorer, they will be less so, and they are at the part of the income/wealth distribution where relative wealth is far more important than absolute wealth. I'm probably channeling Veblen here. And if no Brexit, as long as Corbyn doesn't take over, they'll be just fine.

The differences:
a) remainers are on average richer than Brexiteers
b) any relative wealth differential could well decrease after Brexit. Possibly due to richer getting poorer and poor getting richer:

David Dimbleby: "Moving on to the issue of immigration and the impact on wages very briefly, if free movement were to end following Brexit, is it not reasonable to suppose that we could see increases in wages for low-skilled workers in the UK, just off the back of the economic impact of free movement on wages?
Lord Rose [chairman of Remain campaign and ex CEO of M&S]: "If you are short of labour, the price of labour will go up, so yes, but that is not necessarily a good thing."

It's a good thing if you are that labour. But not if you are the CEO of M&S.

katastrofa

October 30th, 2019, 9:13 pm

I will so miss him... but he needs to focus more on his wife and family. Nothing left to watch on BBC :-(

Paul

October 30th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I think his wife has enough people "taking care" of her.

katastrofa

October 30th, 2019, 10:26 pm

I can tell a woman who wants to leave her husband from a woman who wants more of her husband for herself.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On