Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Marsden

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE WORKED ALONGSIDE MUSLIMS?

October 27th, 2006, 1:44 pm

If I'm judged by the quality of those who disagree with me, I have little to worry about.

cosmologist

October 27th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Huaaaaaaaahahhahhhaa,I have a pencil dick. Hahahahahah. Mr. m A R S E -den in his den doing actuarial stuff. I am mighty amused that an actuary can be driven insane by a few fellow countrymen.cheers

migalley

October 27th, 2006, 1:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenMeanwhile, we in the West have our own dumbasses. (Some of them post on this forum.)Mr Marsden, you really should stop talking about yourself. "Me, me, me!", that's all you think about.That and getting some guy to kiss your ass.that, and his fondness for goats.And it's Dr MarsdenIt's amazing the type of people who are allowed to be doctors nowadays.

Marsden

October 27th, 2006, 1:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: cosmologistI am mighty amused that an actuary can be driven insane by a few fellow countrymen.Judging by the quality of your English, I doubt any of you are my countrymen.

Marsden

October 27th, 2006, 2:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Errrb the suicide attacker essentially says, "The situation is so intolerable that I am willing to sacrifice my life in order to change it How about the guy who recently barricaded himself in a Amish schoolhouse executed five girls and then killed himself? What exactly he was trying to change? Most of the suicide bombings done by muslims are not different from this crime, only fucking morons like Marsden try to rationalize the difference. I doubt anybody in good state of mind would seriously take this nonsence.Not even Errrb believes himself.Note the progression: "Most of the suicide bombings done by muslims are not different from this crime" (assertion); "only fucking morons like Marsden try to rationalize the difference" (ad hominin attack on disagreement); "I doubt anybody in good state of mind would seriously take this nonsence" (reprise of ad hominin attack on disagreement). This is the pattern of someone trying to convince himself rather than anyone else of his position. It's sort of like watching Errrb slap his own hand in order to program himself out of having "bad thoughts." Pretty amusing, really.

Hamilton

October 27th, 2006, 2:28 pm

welling on the sins of others is a cowardly cop-outFollowing that logic, neurotic countries that blame the US for their problems, instead of themselves, are making a cowardly cop-out.

migalley

October 27th, 2006, 2:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenQuoteOriginally posted by: cosmologistI am mighty amused that an actuary can be driven insane by a few fellow countrymen.Judging by the quality of your English, I doubt any of you are my countrymen.We're glad that you're not one of our countrymen. It would be a source of eternal shame to be associated (however loosely) with somebody who actively seeks men to kiss his ass.

Marsden

October 27th, 2006, 2:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Hamiltonwelling on the sins of others is a cowardly cop-outFollowing that logic, neurotic countries that blame the US for their problems, instead of themselves, are making a cowardly cop-out.Exactly. Do you disagree with this sentiment?

cosmologist

October 27th, 2006, 2:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenQuoteOriginally posted by: cosmologistI am mighty amused that an actuary can be driven insane by a few fellow countrymen.Judging by the quality of your English, I doubt any of you are my countrymen.We're glad that you're not one of our countrymen. It would be a source of eternal shame to be associated (however loosely) with somebody who actively seeks men to kiss his ass.I don't have anything more to say. I am not able to digest the fact that we have someone who loves to be kissed in his ass, participating in intelligent conversation/s ( pretending to participate, I should say). God save this forum.'Quality of english' - is that Lebanese style??cheers

zeta

October 27th, 2006, 2:55 pm

dammit, here I am, sucked in again..To the orginal question, I have worked with muslims (in the US) and they have been the epitome of decency. Contrast this with a fellow church couple whom we dined with last night. My wife and I expressed concern for the health of an elderly gent who sits next to us on a Sunday and their response was that we shouldn't bother, he would most likely take offense if we tried to look after him. nice.My point is not to demonstrate how ..er.. 'open minded' I am, but rather to point out the futility in ALL these arguments. I could have equally shared a story of Muslim indecency/Christian decency, it doesn't matter. It is absolutely futile to argue whose sins are the greater. Judaism/Islam/Christianity all have in common that at various points in their history they have been LEGAL by nature; personal righteousness and the desire to impose that on someone else comes to the fore. We can argue as to the reasons why this happens, for instance in the present day the West turns the screw and (parts) of the east are united under LEGAL Islam. Similarly you could look to cromwell and the rise of radical puritinism in response to abuses of the royalists. There are dozens of examples, but it doesn't matter, they're all the same. One oligarchy gets replaced by another, and so on and so forth...Out of respect for the Atheists I won't bible bash, just paraphrase Christ who said "unless your righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees, you have no place in heaven", also "be perfect as I am perfect" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". His message was to adopt His righteousness, not our own. That is to say we can't earn a perfect God's favor, it's granted if we have the humilty to ask for his forgiveness. The difference might be subtle to non christians, but the point is when we give up trying to be righteous and impose that on others, we live righteously responsively, not under obligation. In that mindset we are able to esteem others more highly than ourselves, even those that hate us.

zeta

October 27th, 2006, 2:57 pm

And love conquers all

gardener3

October 27th, 2006, 3:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetadammit, here I am, sucked in again..To the orginal question, I have worked with muslims (in the US) and they have been the epitome of decency. Contrast this with a fellow church couple whom we dined with last night. My wife and I expressed concern for the health of an elderly gent who sits next to us on a Sunday and their response was that we shouldn't bother, he would most likely take offense if we tried to look after him. nice.My point is not to demonstrate how ..er.. 'open minded' I am, but rather to point out the futility in ALL these arguments. I could have equally shared a story of Muslim indecency/Christian decency, it doesn't matter. It is absolutely futile to argue whose sins are the greater. Judaism/Islam/Christianity all have in common that at various points in their history they have been LEGAL by nature; personal righteousness and the desire to impose that on someone else comes to the fore. We can argue as to the reasons why this happens, for instance in the present day the West turns the screw and (parts) of the east are united under LEGAL Islam. Similarly you could look to cromwell and the rise of radical puritinism in response to abuses of the royalists. There are dozens of examples, but it doesn't matter, they're all the same. One oligarchy gets replaced by another, and so on and so forth...Out of respect for the Atheists I won't bible bash, just paraphrase Christ who said "unless your righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees, you have no place in heaven", also "be perfect as I am perfect" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". His message was to adopt His righteousness, not our own. That is to say we can't earn a perfect God's favor, it's granted if we have the humilty to ask for his forgiveness. The difference might be subtle to non christians, but the point is when we give up trying to be righteous and impose that on others, we live righteously responsively, not under obligation. In that mindset we are able to esteem others more highly than ourselves, even those that hate us.wow, intelligent life does exist in the off-topic forum. well said.
Last edited by gardener3 on October 26th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

October 27th, 2006, 3:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeYes, there are two sides to every story marsden, but I like the way you neatly skirt around the issues of suicide bombers killing thousands of innocent Westerners, eh ?I don't skirt anything, dumbass. I'm just less inclined than certain assholes to concentrate my attentions on the sins of others as opposed to the sins of my own people. Dwelling on the sins of others is a cowardly cop-out, in my eyes: it's basically attempting to absolve yourself of responsibility for the things that you do control.So address the issue boy. Own it.

flairplay
Topic Author

October 27th, 2006, 4:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetadammit, here I am, sucked in again..To the orginal question, I have worked with muslims (in the US) and they have been the epitome of decency. Contrast this with a fellow church couple whom we dined with last night. My wife and I expressed concern for the health of an elderly gent who sits next to us on a Sunday and their response was that we shouldn't bother, he would most likely take offense if we tried to look after him. nice.My point is not to demonstrate how ..er.. 'open minded' I am, but rather to point out the futility in ALL these arguments. I could have equally shared a story of Muslim indecency/Christian decency, it doesn't matter. It is absolutely futile to argue whose sins are the greater. Judaism/Islam/Christianity all have in common that at various points in their history they have been LEGAL by nature; personal righteousness and the desire to impose that on someone else comes to the fore. We can argue as to the reasons why this happens, for instance in the present day the West turns the screw and (parts) of the east are united under LEGAL Islam. Similarly you could look to cromwell and the rise of radical puritinism in response to abuses of the royalists. There are dozens of examples, but it doesn't matter, they're all the same. One oligarchy gets replaced by another, and so on and so forth...Out of respect for the Atheists I won't bible bash, just paraphrase Christ who said "unless your righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees, you have no place in heaven", also "be perfect as I am perfect" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". His message was to adopt His righteousness, not our own. That is to say we can't earn a perfect God's favor, it's granted if we have the humilty to ask for his forgiveness. The difference might be subtle to non christians, but the point is when we give up trying to be righteous and impose that on others, we live righteously responsively, not under obligation. In that mindset we are able to esteem others more highly than ourselves, even those that hate us.Well, you will be in the minority here with such a view. Though two or three of us have been saying exactly the same. Good to hear we have company.

TraderJoe

October 27th, 2006, 4:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetadammit, here I am, sucked in again..To the orginal question, I have worked with muslims (in the US) and they have been the epitome of decency. Contrast this with a fellow church couple whom we dined with last night. My wife and I expressed concern for the health of an elderly gent who sits next to us on a Sunday and their response was that we shouldn't bother, he would most likely take offense if we tried to look after him. nice.My point is not to demonstrate how ..er.. 'open minded' I am, but rather to point out the futility in ALL these arguments. I could have equally shared a story of Muslim indecency/Christian decency, it doesn't matter. It is absolutely futile to argue whose sins are the greater. Judaism/Islam/Christianity all have in common that at various points in their history they have been LEGAL by nature; personal righteousness and the desire to impose that on someone else comes to the fore. We can argue as to the reasons why this happens, for instance in the present day the West turns the screw and (parts) of the east are united under LEGAL Islam. Similarly you could look to cromwell and the rise of radical puritinism in response to abuses of the royalists. There are dozens of examples, but it doesn't matter, they're all the same. One oligarchy gets replaced by another, and so on and so forth...Out of respect for the Atheists I won't bible bash, just paraphrase Christ who said "unless your righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees, you have no place in heaven", also "be perfect as I am perfect" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". His message was to adopt His righteousness, not our own. That is to say we can't earn a perfect God's favor, it's granted if we have the humilty to ask for his forgiveness. The difference might be subtle to non christians, but the point is when we give up trying to be righteous and impose that on others, we live righteously responsively, not under obligation. In that mindset we are able to esteem others more highly than ourselves, even those that hate us.So are you the first Christian martyr ? Off you go then. Practice what you preach.The Old Testament also taught (and this message directly from God apparently) ... an eye for an eye. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm an Old Testament kind of guy. None of this soppy New Testament "turn the other cheek" shit. Coward.