Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

flairplay
Topic Author

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE WORKED ALONGSIDE MUSLIMS?

October 22nd, 2006, 6:21 am

I'd like to know the real answers.What were your feelings? Were they easy, devious, normal, abnormal? What would you do if your boss happened to be Muslim? Do you believe in laws relating to equality, or do you believe that they are a concession to "political correctness"?I am curious to know the answers here - especially from PPAUPER, and the other chappie debating Islam's evils with me on another thread.This is a genuine question, because I quite want to understand what goes through your minds when you have to deal with such a situation.

mencey

October 22nd, 2006, 2:19 pm

I have work with Muslims several times, the first one when I was around 15 yrs ago and the last one three years ago. Like everywhere in the human race there are good and bad people, whatever is the ideology what I critize not the individuals.I have worked together with educated and uneducated muslims.In any case I have to admit that working with them teach me that they do not share some basic values with us, is a different culture, a different civilization and a diferent perception of reality. In my eyes there is a huge sense of revenge and racism, (even in the elite of muslim societies).However I have to admit that I never worked with Black American Muslims but African ones. In terms of racial groups (in general and not about individuals), I tend to like the Berbers while I dislike the Arabs. About black african muslims I can not tell because my interaction with them has been quite limited.
Last edited by mencey on October 21st, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mencey

October 22nd, 2006, 2:24 pm

I believe though that there is a political correctness and positive discrimination. I never had muslim bosses but muslim associates. If I have to work for a muslim boss, then if he takes his religion too extermist, I will quit inmediately, if he is a normal human being and focuses on the business, then I should not have a problem working with him.However I have to admit that, in contrast to western societies, arab societies and for instance traditional hindu societies are quite jerarquic, and that's something that I dislike. People should start to understand the difference between power and domination

Marsden

October 22nd, 2006, 7:38 pm

What an ignorant ass you are, mencey.

Hamilton

October 22nd, 2006, 7:39 pm

Marsden's burning up the literary metaphors here on Wilmott

Marsden

October 22nd, 2006, 7:47 pm

Nancy, I try to cut you a lot of slack, given that you were fondled by a clergyman in your teens. (Did you ask to be fondled? No. Did you ask to enjoy it? No.) But sometimes your effeminate manner of character assassination here is pretty tiresome.

Hamilton

October 22nd, 2006, 7:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenNancy, I try to cut you a lot of slack, given that you were fondled by a clergyman in your teens. (Did you ask to be fondled? No. Did you ask to enjoy it? No.) But sometimes your effeminate manner of character assassination here is pretty tiresome.Yawn.

gardener3

October 22nd, 2006, 7:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mencey In terms of racial groups (in general and not about individuals), I tend to like the Berbers while I dislike the ArabsSo you like certain races and not others, eh? So what other racial groups do you like or dislike mencey?

mencey

October 22nd, 2006, 7:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenWhat an ignorant ass you are, mencey.Coming from you I consider that sentence a compliment

mencey

October 22nd, 2006, 7:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: mencey In terms of racial groups (in general and not about individuals), I tend to like the Berbers while I dislike the ArabsSo you like certain races and not others, eh? So what other racial groups do you like or dislike mencey?No, it does not depend on the skin colour but the culture. I agree with the principles of certain cultures and disagree in the principles of others. Berber culture is not the same than arab culture. Quote:"Culture has been called "the way of life for an entire society." As such, it includes codes of manners, dress, language, religion, rituals, norms of behaviour and systems of belief."As a matter of fact I like open societies and dislike close ones. Does it answer your question?

Hamilton

October 22nd, 2006, 8:31 pm

Nancy, I try to cut you a lot of slack, given that you were fondled by a clergyman in your teens. Oh come now Mars. Why aren't you insulting the Imams on that revelation in the Koran thing? Its no fun watching the reaction to your Catholic Church insults because there's really no risk attached. But you fancy yourself as a Salman Rushdie atheist, so why not do a little Satanic Verses riff here on Wilmott?Would that type of thing materially alter your position on the Actuarial Tables?C'mon. Life without risk is boring.

mencey

October 22nd, 2006, 8:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonNancy, I try to cut you a lot of slack, given that you were fondled by a clergyman in your teens. Oh come now Mars. Why aren't you insulting the Imams on that revelation in the Koran thing? Its no fun watching the reaction to your Catholic Church insults because there's really no risk attached. But you fancy yourself as a Salman Rushdie atheist, so why not do a little Satanic Verses riff here on Wilmott?Would that type of thing materially alter your position on the Actuarial Tables?C'mon. Life without risk is boring.I guess it was Tacitus who said: "The secret of hapiness is freedom, the secret of freedom is self-steem and the secret of self-steem is courage" and "Only few would choose freedom, the mayority is satisfied with just a fair master". Seems like Dhimmidi Marsden already found his master and alligances,.............. so it does not surprise me his lack of courage

TraderJoe

October 22nd, 2006, 9:48 pm

I've worked with Muslims - in the UK and in their home country once. They're always going off to pray or fasting or missing work or lectures for some reason or another...

Marsden

October 23rd, 2006, 1:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonC'mon. Life without risk is boring.And life without critical thought is your existence.

Marsden

October 23rd, 2006, 1:11 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: menceySeems like Dhimmidi Marsden already found his master and alligances,.............. so it does not surprise me his lack of courageGiven how servile you are without even realizing it, I may be the most courageous person you've ever encountered in your life, child.If I were a coward, I'd be snivelling with you and Nancy about the nasty bad men in the world and won't someone please kill them all so that you'll be safe? Instead, I'm inclined to see what these "nasty bad men" have to say, and even to accept it when sometimes they are in the right. And I'm willing to suffer a few blows without responding in order to get to that point. If that makes me a coward in your eyes, then I'm in good company. But you, hiding under your rock, what is there to keep you company but pale grubs that can't take the light of day, pale grubs and Nancy-Boy?I hope one day the curse of the Buddha finds you, mencey, and you understand what a pale shadow of a human being you are. Maybe you'll be able to make something of yourself if it comes to you soon enough.
Last edited by Marsden on October 22nd, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.