Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

flairplay
Topic Author

Anyone interested in literature?

October 22nd, 2006, 6:54 am

Monica Ali's "Brick Lane" was better than I expected at first, and the "Life of PI" was surprisingly engrossing, is there anything you would recommend?

TraderJoe

October 22nd, 2006, 10:51 pm

Vernon God Little is an entertaining little ditty.

Traden4Alpha

October 22nd, 2006, 11:23 pm

If you like 19th century social satire, then Thackeray's Vanity Fair and Wilkie Collins ("The Moonstone" and "The Women in White") are enjoyable -- neither being as grim as Dickens. I also find P.G. Wodehouse to be hilarious, but sometimes a bit too silly.

TraderJoe

October 22nd, 2006, 11:29 pm

Oh well, if it's the classics we're talking about, then anything from faulkner, salinger and steinbeck; dickens, shakespeare and bronte; dostoyevsky, chekov and gogol etc.
Last edited by TraderJoe on October 22nd, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton

October 23rd, 2006, 1:30 am

A Canticle for Leibowitz.

rmax

October 23rd, 2006, 6:51 am

Depends what you are after: Along the lines of Life of Pi I would suggest God of Small Things by Arundti Roy. I love Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Most books I have read by John Irving are good, but I think A Prayer for Own Meaney is my fave. For a Russian theme I would suggest (dependent on what you want) are One Day in he Life of Ivan Denisovich (closely followed by The First Circle) by Solzhenitsyn and The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. One of my all time favorite books is Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.I am quite a fan of magic realism so I do like Immortality and The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera being probably some of the best. I like 100 years of solitude too.I could go on for quite a while on this subject, so I shall stop there. The books that TJ talks about are pretty good, and I have Vanity fair sitting on my shelf waiting to be read....One problem I have found reading translations in general is that sometimes they seem a little clumsy - not that I speak Czek or Russian but I have found it better to compare the first few sentences when buying a book in a foreign language. If you are interested in any of the above I can tell you which copies I read (generally when there is a Choice Oxford World Classics seems a better translation to me...)

Hamilton

October 25th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Monica Ali's "Brick Lane" was better than I expected at first, and the "Life of PI" was surprisingly engrossing, is there anything you would recommend?The Stranger by Camus

TraderJoe

October 25th, 2006, 10:44 pm

"The Alchemist" is a nice read too.

rmax

October 26th, 2006, 6:35 am

Did not like The Alchemist at all - it was too saccharine for me.I did like the Stranger - made me realise what The Cure song was on about!

mutley

October 26th, 2006, 7:01 am

I didn't like the Alchemist much either, prefer a more secular read. Anything by Will Self is suitably caustic for me.

TraderJoe

October 26th, 2006, 11:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxDid not like The Alchemist at all - it was too saccharine for me.I did like the Stranger - made me realise what The Cure song was on about!So sorry, why don't you try this little number.

rmax

October 27th, 2006, 8:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxDid not like The Alchemist at all - it was too saccharine for me.I did like the Stranger - made me realise what The Cure song was on about!So sorry, why don't you try this little number.LOL!Also forgot Toni Morrison Beloved and The Song of Solomon being her best.

Cuchulainn

October 28th, 2006, 2:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: flairplayMonica Ali's "Brick Lane" was better than I expected at first.. there anything you would recommend?Just received BL in the post. Actually, if you have not visited the Lane it is well worth the visit. It has not been discovered by mass tourism (yet).Some books I likeGulliver's TravelsUlysses (JJ version)
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

exneratunrisk

October 30th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I have a few "read-all-of-them-writers". Haruki Murakami, (favorite: "The Wind Up Bird")Antonio Lobo Antunes, (favorite: "The Inquisitor's Manual")Wolfram Fleischhauer, (momentary read: "The School of Lies", probably only available in German)

daveangel

May 21st, 2015, 7:31 am

Great Gatsby home for sale at $3.9 million
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers