SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: ppauper's very own "How Canada Sucks" thread.

September 23rd, 2017, 9:58 pm

Air Canada Excludes Family From Flight, Forces Purchase Of $4000 Tickets

the final paragraph
"I'm never traveling on Air Canada again," Thivakaran said. "Even if I was on my death bed and I needed immediate treatment in U.S., I'd rather die than go on Air Canada."

so much for canadian healthcare

tagoma

September 23rd, 2017, 10:09 pm

ppauper wrote:

the final paragraph
"I'm never traveling on Air Canada again," Thivakaran said. "Even if I was on my death bed and I needed immediate treatment in U.S., I'd rather die than go on Air Canada."

To what extent is US medical care better than in Canada?
From a medical perspective, is it advisable to fly when you are so weak people tell you are lying on your "death bed"?
I mean one can argue that Thivakaran's statement lacks consistency.

ppauper

September 23rd, 2017, 10:50 pm

tagoma wrote:
ppauper wrote:

the final paragraph

From a medical perspective, is it advisable to fly when you are so weak people tell you are lying on your "death bed"?

the key here may be "immediate," with it not being so much an issue of quality as of having to wait in canada versus immediate treatment in the US,

tagoma

September 23rd, 2017, 11:07 pm

ppauper wrote:
tagoma wrote:
ppauper wrote:

the final paragraph

the key here may be "immediate," with it not being so much an issue of quality as of having to wait in canada versus immediate treatment in the US,

I just googled a bit. I wasn't aware of that wait time problem in Canada, to be honest.
Fraser
In France, the top performer in terms of wait times in the emergency department, 

It must be really bad elsewhere. In my experience, it is common to wait 4 to 6/10 hours before being treated in the emergency department at an hospital in France. And things get worse on nigth-shift, week-ends, and bank holidays.

Traden4Alpha

September 23rd, 2017, 11:37 pm

ppauper wrote:
tagoma wrote:
ppauper wrote:

the final paragraph

So if you die or become much sicker due to a wait, that is not counted against the "quality" healthcare?

(It reminds me of how some countries had world-class infant mortality statistics because they did count infants that died in the first few days as being born.)

ppauper

September 24th, 2017, 6:34 am

I was thinking about wait times for say an MRI or cancer treatment rather than the emergency room
I used to see a lot of newspaper stories about canadians with cancer taking out (second?) mortgages on their homes to go to the US for treatment because they were facing long waits in canada and then trying to sue the province to recover the cost.
To be fair, there don't seem to be as many stories as there used to be, but whether that's because the problem is less severe now or the newspapers have lost interest, who knows.
There used to be a lot of stories like this,
(2007) Patients suing province over wait times
Two Ontario patients who had brain tumours removed in the United States because they say they couldn't get quick treatment here are suing the provincial government over what they claim are unjustly long wait times for medical care.
(snip)
According to the statement of claim, McCreith suddenly experienced seizures on Jan. 2, 2006. After waiting seven hours in a Newmarket emergency ward, he was examined by an internist. A computed tomography or CT scan showed a large wedge-shaped brain tumour. He was discharged from hospital four days later with a diagnosis of stroke and a prescription for anti-seizure medication.
Worried the tumour might be cancerous, McCreith and his family wanted an MRI. He was given an appointment date four months later. McCreith went to the U.S. and paid $494.67 (U.S.) for an MRI. Armed with the scan, he saw his Ontario family doctor, who referred McCreith to a neurologist. He was examined on Feb. 8, 2006. He was referred to a neurosurgeon but would have to wait three months.
Unhappy with this, he returned to Buffalo. In early March, during a biopsy, the tumour was found to be malignant and surgically removed. He paid $27,650 for his consultation, biopsy and surgery in Buffalo and OHIP has refused to reimburse him because he failed to seek pre-approval for the expense, the claim notes.

Traden4Alpha

September 24th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Bacterial infections, heart attack, stroke, trauma (concussion, internal bleeding, etc.), cancer, organ failure, poisoning, severe dehydration, and many other conditions grow worse over time if not treated. Just because a person who visits the ER or calls their doctor does not seem too sick at the moment does not imply that diagnosis and treatment can be delayed.

Until diagnostic tests are done, there's no way to say that a given patient can wait. It's only after diagnosis determines that the patient will not grow sicker that waiting for treatment becomes acceptable.

Long waiting times in the ER or for initial clinic visits related to new symptoms are a clear sign of a poor quality healthcare system.

ppauper

September 26th, 2017, 7:30 am

Traden4Alpha wrote:
Bacterial infections, heart attack, stroke, trauma (concussion, internal bleeding, etc.), cancer, organ failure, poisoning, severe dehydration, and many other conditions grow worse over time if not treated.  Just because a person who visits the ER or calls their doctor does not seem too sick at the moment does not imply that diagnosis and treatment can be delayed.

Until diagnostic tests are done, there's no way to say that a given patient can wait.  It's only after diagnosis determines that the patient will not grow sicker that waiting for treatment becomes acceptable.

Long waiting times in the ER or for initial clinic visits related to new symptoms are a clear sign of a poor quality healthcare system.

indeed

ppauper

September 26th, 2017, 7:33 am

refugees may be welcome in canada, but chelsea manning isn't

Really!? Chelsea Manning SHOCKED by reason for being denied entry to Canada

ppauper

September 27th, 2017, 12:59 pm

lol,
illegals no longer welcome

next they'll be building a wall

no one knows how many illegals there are in the US, with some estimates putting it as high as 40 million.
Now Canada is panicking because what, 7 thousand of those 40 million have headed north
If there were only 7 thousand illegals in the US, illegal immigration would not be an issue

ppauper

October 4th, 2017, 7:39 pm

ppauper wrote:

Suspect in Edmonton Attack Faced Deportation in U.S.
he was ordered deported under Obama and instead fled to Canada

ppauper

October 13th, 2017, 10:24 am

Canada drops asylum seekers hijab questionnaire

Canada has suspended the use of a questionnaire that appeared to single out Muslim asylum seekers crossing into the country.
(snip)
But it also includes questions about the refugee claimant's opinion on the so-called Islamic State and the Taliban and how they feel about women who do not wear religious head-coverings like the hijab and niqab.

what's wrong with asking that? If the answer is, "they should be stoned to death," perhaps that particular migrant might not be suitable for Canada

Cuchulainn

October 14th, 2017, 11:21 am

“My family is obviously psychologically and physically shattered by the betrayals and the criminality of what has happened over the past five years,” Boyle told The Star. “But we’re looking forward to a new lease on life, to use an overused idiom, and restarting and being able to build a sanctuary for our children and our family in North America.”

Boyle added, jokingly, “I have discovered there is little that cannot be overcome by enough Sufi patience, Irish irreverence, and Canadian sanctimony.”
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...