SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: ppauper's very own "How Canada Sucks" thread.

January 3rd, 2018, 10:17 am

ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
“My family is obviously psychologically and physically shattered by the betrayals and the criminality of what has happened over the past five years,” Boyle told The Star. “But we’re looking forward to a new lease on life, to use an overused idiom, and restarting and being able to build a sanctuary for our children and our family in North America.”

Boyle added, jokingly, “I have discovered there is little that cannot be overcome by enough Sufi patience, Irish irreverence, and Canadian sanctimony.”

this is the US/Canadian who were captured and held hostage when they allegedly went backpacking in afghanistan
I posted some stuff on it in the afghan thread
Note "sufi patience" suggests they are muslim
the husband was previously married to the sister of omar khadr, who was sent to gitmo as a youth for killing a US medic in afghanistan
I wonder what he/she means by "betrayals," Did they think the taliban were their friends?

update
Joshua Boyle facing multiple charges, including assault, confinement
Freed hostage Joshua Boyle is currently in police custody, and is facing over a dozen criminal charges over alleged incidents that took place between Oct. 14 and Dec. 30, 2017.
Boyle is facing eight counts of assault, two counts of sexual assault and two counts of unlawful confinement. He also faces one count each of misleading police to “divert suspicion from himself,” uttering a death threat, and administering a noxious substance, namely Trazodone.

anyone know who the alleged victim(s) was? there's a publication ban

ppauper

January 16th, 2018, 9:54 am

there was a hearbreaking story the other day about an 11-year old girl in Toronto who was attacked on the way to school by someone who tried to cut her habib with scissors

Justin Trudeau immediately leapt to the girl's defense,
The incident caught the attention of politicians at all levels of government.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his heart goes out to the girl.
"I can't imagine how afraid she must have been," Trudeau said at a cabinet retreat in London, Ont. "I want her and her family and her friends and community to know that that is not what Canada is and that is not who Canadians are."
Meanwhile, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne called the incident "a cowardly act of hatred."
"This does not represent who we are," Wynne wrote in a tweet. "We must stand firm in our support of this young girl who was assaulted simply for wearing a hijab."
Toronto's mayor added that he was "shocked and appalled."

Except it never happened. She made it up
Reported hijab attack on 11-year-old girl 'did not happen,' Toronto police say
The "attack" which never happened was reported around the world

ppauper

January 17th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Australia files WTO complaint over Canada wine sales
Like the US, Australia has protested against rules in the province of British Columbia, where local wines can be sold in grocery shops but imported wine must be sold in a "store within a store" with a separate cash register.

ppauper

January 18th, 2018, 10:24 pm

hijab family offers non-apology
an apology would be "we're sorry our daughter lied"
Instead, we got a version of "we're sorry you're upset"
“We are deeply sorry for the pain and anger that our family has caused in the past several days."

ppauper

January 22nd, 2018, 8:17 pm

tagoma

January 22nd, 2018, 9:16 pm

ppauper wrote:
there was a hearbreaking story the other day about an 11-year old girl in Toronto who was attacked on the way to school by someone who tried to cut her habib with scissors

Justin Trudeau immediately leapt to the girl's defense,
The incident caught the attention of politicians at all levels of government.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his heart goes out to the girl.
"I can't imagine how afraid she must have been," Trudeau said at a cabinet retreat in London, Ont. "I want her and her family and her friends and community to know that that is not what Canada is and that is not who Canadians are."
Meanwhile, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne called the incident "a cowardly act of hatred."
"This does not represent who we are," Wynne wrote in a tweet. "We must stand firm in our support of this young girl who was assaulted simply for wearing a hijab."
Toronto's mayor added that he was "shocked and appalled."

Except it never happened. She made it up
Reported hijab attack on 11-year-old girl 'did not happen,' Toronto police say
The "attack" which never happened was reported around the world

Aren't you condemning a fake news while spreading it further?
I think it's what Paul Watzlawick (scrabble) and the Palo Alto school were calling paradoxical communication.

ppauper

January 30th, 2018, 6:36 am

Three new counts of murder after skeletal remains found in planters at home related to Toronto landscaper Bruce McArthur
looks like there was a gay serial killer killing gay men in toronto. Charged with 5 murders so far

ppauper

January 30th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Amid growing US immigration crackdown, Canada quietly enforcing own laws
More than 13,000 people crossed into Canada illegally in 2017 alone, according to Canadian government data. That’s more than five times the number intercepted by Royal Canadian Mounted Police in 2016.
(snip)
“You can’t just come to Canada and cross the border and stay there for the rest of your life,” Pablo Rodriguez, a member of the Canadian Parliament and a government envoy to the U.S., told the Los Angeles Times.

lmfao.
When president trump says words to the effect of, “You can’t just come to America and cross the border and stay there for the rest of your life,” liberals get upset.
Yet when a Canadian envoy to the US says, “You can’t just come to Canada and cross the border and stay there for the rest of your life,” where's the outrage?

ppauper

March 1st, 2018, 8:09 pm

bearish

March 1st, 2018, 9:39 pm

ppauper wrote:

I’d definitely be up for the role of designated drinker

Cuchulainn

March 2nd, 2018, 8:14 am

ppauper wrote:

What's the rationale? 
What about testing for the effects of weed/skunk? The latter is really bad.

Cuchulainn

March 2nd, 2018, 8:24 am

bearish wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I’d definitely be up for the role of designated drinker

You  are not allowed to drink and drive but to drive and drink?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...