SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

November 16th, 2006, 2:36 pm

So whom do folks think will get the presidential nominations for '08 ?Has Hillary got a lock on the Dem nomination ?And on the GOP side, 2 RINOs seem to be the presumptive front-runners:Guiliani, who famously endorsed Mario Cuomo over Patakiand Senator Mc-Lame from ArizonaThere doesn't seem to be a conservative frontrunner. Allen was our guy, presumably he's toast after losing his senate seat, ditto Sanitorum.Romney, I know little about.Gingrich, whom history has shown was right on many things (in particular the need for term limits to stop congress going native and the need for a balanced budget amendment) is more a libertarian than a conservative and maybe has too much baggage.Duncan Hunter is a good man but little known.Drudge made the point that if Mc-Lame is not too old to run again, then neither is BuchananThoughts ?

nazzdack

Presidency in '08

November 17th, 2006, 12:33 am

Some of the betting lines have McCain over Hillary by a ~51-to-49 margin. Stay tuned.

AlanB

Presidency in '08

November 17th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Politicians are politicians. It really doesn't matter who gets in. A politician's raison d'etre is to benefit himself/herself. They care nothing of the needs of their constituency.

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

November 17th, 2006, 1:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanB A politician's raison d'etre is to benefit himself/herself. They care nothing of the needs of their constituency.indeed, and Gingrich's contract with america contained a number of measures to curb that abuse of power.Gingrich wanted to restore the founding fathers' vision of congress and replace career politicians with citizen legislators. Folks who take a few years off from their job and then return home. Politics should be a sabbatical from one's real job, not a career.Under the Citizen Legislature Act, we would have limited the number of Senate terms to two and the number of House terms to six.

zeta

Presidency in '08

November 17th, 2006, 1:49 pm

QuoteFolks who take a few years off from their job and then return home. Politics should be a sabbatical from one's real job, not a career.a great idea... however I think the days of the 'everyman' politician in the US (at least) are long gone and career politicians/lobbyists will keep it that way.

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

November 17th, 2006, 2:07 pm

John Edwards 08His position on Walmart is interesting:(a) he holds that walmart is evil(b) his staff asks walmart to get him a PS3 (for those who don't know, a limited number went on sale today and in my town at least, geeks were camped out for several days outside stores so they might get one. I guess waiting in line is too much effort for the likes of John Edwards ?)

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

November 21st, 2006, 1:32 pm

Sen. Brownback (KS) to seek the GOP nomimationQuote"I think there's room for a full-scale Ronald Reagan conservative in the field"

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

November 21st, 2006, 2:08 pm

romney also claims to be a conservative
Last edited by ppauper on November 20th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

November 29th, 2006, 6:35 pm

frist not running ?

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

December 5th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Obama Meets With SorosI guess his slogan could be "worse than hillary" ?

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

December 6th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Former clinton administration official and whoremonger Dick Morris sounds off on Hillary:QuoteDick Morris: Hillary wants to be 'President Rodham'Former Clinton adviser calls Democrat senator 'liar' involved in charadeShould Sen. Hillary Clinton be elected to the presidency in 2008, she won't use her married name of Clinton, but rather, her maiden name of Rodham. That according to Dick Morris, a former adviser to President Bill Clinton, and who now writes a political column. "She would not be another President Clinton. She would be President Rodham. I'll bet you that if she wins, that's what she has people call her," Morris told Fox News host John Gibson today on "The Big Story." "I'll bet anybody in the country that when she gets elected, that's what she's gonna want to be called. She won't say it before [the election], but she will." The New York Democrat is this week continuing efforts to begin looking at a White House run, as she has said she has still not made any final decision on her candidacy. "What's the point of being so coy so long?" Gibson asked Morris. "It's one of these Hillary lies," responded Morris. "When she learned that Bill had been with Monica [Lewinsky] 'cause of the stain on the dress, she had to pretend that she didn't know a year earlier when he told her, so she could defend having called it a vast right-wing conspiracy. "Here, she spent two years telling New Yorkers she's undecided about running for president [to] get them to re-elect her to the Senate. And now, she has to go through this pantomime, this charade of decision-making so she doesn't look like a liar for the past two years, which she is."

AlanB

Presidency in '08

December 7th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I think I just saw something on the web suggesting Gore might run?!

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

December 7th, 2006, 1:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanBI think I just saw something on the web suggesting Gore might run?!ah, the perennial contender. Kerry too, no doubt

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

December 9th, 2006, 1:58 pm

President Hussein ?

ppauper
Topic Author

Presidency in '08

December 10th, 2006, 5:35 pm

biden ?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On