SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Those crazeeeee Dutch

August 10th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
bearish wrote:
At the risk of mixing it up in the Dutch thread, the same phenomenon can be observed in Norway. Last year's top 10 boys' names. I would say not a single one of them traditionally Norwegian, and carrying a heavy biblical influence, which is just weird:

1. Jakob/Jacob
2. Lucas/Lukas
3. Emil
4. Oskar/Oscar
5. Oliver
6. William
7. Filip/Fillip/Phillip/Philip
8. Noah/Noa
9. Elias
10. Isak/Isaac/Isac

Another question how to pronounce these names in Norwegian? e.g. #6 ?? In Dutch, we use Wim, Willem.

Vilhelm?

bearish

August 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm

katastrofa wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
bearish wrote:
At the risk of mixing it up in the Dutch thread, the same phenomenon can be observed in Norway. Last year's top 10 boys' names. I would say not a single one of them traditionally Norwegian, and carrying a heavy biblical influence, which is just weird:

1. Jakob/Jacob
2. Lucas/Lukas
3. Emil
4. Oskar/Oscar
5. Oliver
6. William
7. Filip/Fillip/Phillip/Philip
8. Noah/Noa
9. Elias
10. Isak/Isaac/Isac

Another question how to pronounce these names in Norwegian? e.g. #6 ?? In Dutch, we use Wim, Willem.

Vilhelm?

More like Vill-yam. And there is little tradition in Norway to use abbreviated names as nicknames in place of your given name, so Bill, Vill, Vim, etc are not really on the menu. They are in fact not uncommon as given names in their own right, which is sometimes confusing to native English speakers. My former colleague Tommy regularly had to explain that he was in fact neither Thomas nor Tom. Just Tommy.

bearish

August 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm

You wonder what happened to good old Norwegian names like Odd and Even. Not joking.

Cuchulainn

August 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm

My judo trainer at the time was Wim (Willem) Ruska. His students used these names interchangeability depending on the context. 'Wim' was the informal name.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...