SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Those crazeeeee Dutch

August 10th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
bearish wrote:
At the risk of mixing it up in the Dutch thread, the same phenomenon can be observed in Norway. Last year's top 10 boys' names. I would say not a single one of them traditionally Norwegian, and carrying a heavy biblical influence, which is just weird:

1. Jakob/Jacob
2. Lucas/Lukas
3. Emil
4. Oskar/Oscar
5. Oliver
6. William
7. Filip/Fillip/Phillip/Philip
8. Noah/Noa
9. Elias
10. Isak/Isaac/Isac

Another question how to pronounce these names in Norwegian? e.g. #6 ?? In Dutch, we use Wim, Willem.

Vilhelm?

bearish

August 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm

katastrofa wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
bearish wrote:
At the risk of mixing it up in the Dutch thread, the same phenomenon can be observed in Norway. Last year's top 10 boys' names. I would say not a single one of them traditionally Norwegian, and carrying a heavy biblical influence, which is just weird:

1. Jakob/Jacob
2. Lucas/Lukas
3. Emil
4. Oskar/Oscar
5. Oliver
6. William
7. Filip/Fillip/Phillip/Philip
8. Noah/Noa
9. Elias
10. Isak/Isaac/Isac

Another question how to pronounce these names in Norwegian? e.g. #6 ?? In Dutch, we use Wim, Willem.

Vilhelm?

More like Vill-yam. And there is little tradition in Norway to use abbreviated names as nicknames in place of your given name, so Bill, Vill, Vim, etc are not really on the menu. They are in fact not uncommon as given names in their own right, which is sometimes confusing to native English speakers. My former colleague Tommy regularly had to explain that he was in fact neither Thomas nor Tom. Just Tommy.

bearish

August 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm

You wonder what happened to good old Norwegian names like Odd and Even. Not joking.

Cuchulainn

August 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm

My judo trainer at the time was Wim (Willem) Ruska. His students used these names interchangeability depending on the context. 'Wim' was the informal name.

ppauper

August 24th, 2018, 6:10 am

Traden4Alpha wrote:
katastrofa wrote:

I don't think any of these people understand biology.  If you feed creatures you get more creatures.  Growth is an exponential process capped only by brutal starvation, brutal predation, or a bullet through the brain case (culling is probably the most human solution but that elicits howls of outrage).  Those starving animals are prime examples of the so-called harmonious balance of nature.

I saw this problem in Tel Aviv recently.  Old Jaffa Port is swarming with starving feral cats that people feed so that they make more starving kittens.

Slaughter of starving wild horses divides the Netherlands

Cuchulainn

August 24th, 2018, 8:57 am

"God made the world and the Dutch made Holland" is the saying.

In the end, Nature wins.

Collector

August 24th, 2018, 8:11 pm

"Dutch inspectors find asbestos in powder sold by teenage make up group Claire’s" 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/03/dutch-inspectors-find-asbestos-in-powder-sold-by-teenage-make-up-group-claires/

"The inspectorate found 2% to 5% asbestos in a face powder and 0.1 to 2% of the carcinogenic substance in a contouring powder.  In spite of the low concentrations ‘there is a risk to health’, the organisations said."

How much of the blame of sun induced skin cancer is actually caused by shitty products like this? 

Why I never used Make up (and long time ago stopped using tan sun lotion, much more important for sun protection is what u eat, some veggies very protective ) ! (what u see what u get kind off )

Cuchulainn

August 24th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Wear sunscreen.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience...I will dispense this advice now.

Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum.

Collector

August 24th, 2018, 8:54 pm

"Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it."

Come on, a real Stetson hat is far better, cooler, mine is made of straw!

For hundreds of thousands of years we were outside most of the day, without any sunscreen lotion. Off course we adapted to the sun (except if eat modern processed junk)...now people mostly sit inside on their arse, and must wear sunscreen lotion when outside half an hour? . Hats on other hand must be quite old (and good) invention. Straw hats good in summer, they breath... this summer I had my office under a tree...wonderful, shadow and rain protection for my computer.

there isn’t much evidence to conclusively prove that daily sunscreen use can prevent most skin cancers, a research review concludes.

"This study, done in Australia, monitored about 1,600 people for more than four years and didn’t find a meaningful difference in the number of new cancer cases detected based on whether people used sunscreen every day or only occasionally."

Hawaii becomes first US state to ban sunscreens harmful to coral reefs

"Wear sunscreen."  u want to kill off also the coral reefs?

Neurotoxic effect of active ingredients in sunscreen products, a contemporary review

"Numerous studies raised concerns about the association between exposure to substances commonly found in sunscreens and endocrine and developmental impairments. In this review, the potential neurotoxicity of such substances is presented and the question of cost-benefit is raised regarding large scale use of sunscreen in its current composition. Although most studies reviewed in this paper reported adverse neurotoxic effects of UV filters at concentrations substantially higher that those observed in environment and human tissues, these studies should not be disregarded as they afford potential pathomechanisms which might occur in other conditions or sensitive populations. It is noteworthy, that gene x environment interactions vis-à-vis toxicity of sunscreen components has yet to be studied. Unfortunately, the effects of repeated, long-term and low-dose exposures to single compounds and mixtures of various UV filters is also poorly studied."

you already have a bamboo toothbrush, now get a hat!

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2018, 9:09 am

Collector,
I was speaking metaphorically.

My mother-in-law has a bamboo T-shirt.

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2018, 9:13 am

Collector,
I was speaking metaphorically.

Collector

August 25th, 2018, 10:24 am

very good stuff, from the 90's

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2018, 11:10 am

Collector wrote:
very good stuff, from the 90's

even more annoying is when you are sitting in an Irish bar and people asking you where you are from, especially fawners.
Just tell them you are from the FUTURE.

ppauper

September 4th, 2018, 9:00 am

Dutch asylum row: Armenian children face expulsion
Two Armenian children who have spent most of their lives in the Netherlands face imminent deportation after emerging from hiding following a failed asylum plea.
Howick, 13, and his sister Lily, 12, came to the Netherlands with their mother in 2008.

Cuchulainn

September 4th, 2018, 9:23 am

ppauper wrote:
Dutch asylum row: Armenian children face expulsion
Two Armenian children who have spent most of their lives in the Netherlands face imminent deportation after emerging from hiding following a failed asylum plea.
Howick, 13, and his sister Lily, 12, came to the Netherlands with their mother in 2008.

Trump would approve.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...