Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: Those crazeeeee Dutch

June 7th, 2021, 3:54 pm

Oh Noah: Ark stuck in English town because it is not seaworthy

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/06/o ... seaworthy/

The ex-owner of the Ark is from our village (where the shops are closed on Sundays, a bit like Ballymena..)

it looks a bit wobbly

I find the characterization of the vessel as “a half-size replica of Noah’s Ark” amusing. As if that were a thing.
Not to mention Noah refused hyenas on board. The only animals that actually had a chance to survive. Absurd.

trackstar

June 7th, 2021, 4:24 pm

What does your 8 kilo 19th century Dutch Bible have to say about all this?

At times like these, ppauper comes to mind too.

c.f. archaeology
Apocalypse (Revelation) Biblical explanation
The Wilmott Bible Study Thread
and not last, and not least:
Creationism vs. Evolutionism

Just  a few from the Archives.

I'll check back in a few weeks and see where the Ark is heading then.
See the ball, be the ball. - Ty Webb

bearish

June 7th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Was just about to post about the seaworthiness of this vessel - you beat me to it!

On the size - the specifications are well documented, whether the Ark actually existed or not:

"The structure of the Ark (and the chronology of the flood) are homologous with the Jewish Temple and with Temple worship. Accordingly, Noah's instructions are given to him by God (Genesis 6:14–16): the ark is to be 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high. Commonly believed is the notion that a 'cubit' is equal to 18 inches, or the length of a man's arm from elbow to fingertip. 

Scripture, on the other hand, in conformity with its parallel to the Temple, prescribes unique measurements for such a 'sacred,' or 'long,' cubit. In Ezekiel 43:13, the dimensions for the sacred altar are noted to be in such cubits as "that cubit being a cubit and a handbreadth," or 21 to 25 inches. This would result in ark dimensions of 525-624 ft. x 87.5-104 ft. x 52.5-62.4 ft., or roughly the size of the aircraft carrier USS Independence.

Some assert that these dimensions are based on a numerological preoccupation with the number sixty, the same number characterizing the vessel of the Babylonian flood-hero. Its three internal divisions reflect the three-part universe imagined by the ancient Israelites: heaven, the earth, and the underworld." - Wikipedia

Looking at it - I'd say high risk of 180 degree flip if the seas were very choppy.  I've been out in seas with up to four foot swells from peak to trough and it was exciting (and 4 feet is not extreme)! I was on a sea-worthy racing vessel though.

Two Quiz questions:

1) "What's a cubit?" - Name the source of this quote.

2) If an Ark were constructed in qubits instead of cubits, what special properties would it have?

Volvo 70 - A Round the World Racing Ark 
1) Noah, if Bill Cosby is to be believed
2) It would be more welcome to non-binary animals that object to being classified as male or female (going for partial credit here)

Cuchulainn

June 7th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Noah was only doing his job in the face of adversity and those unbelievers .. it would be a mammoth task to get the Leviathan (Job 40) on board.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Cuchulainn

June 7th, 2021, 9:00 pm

What does your 8 kilo 19th century Dutch Bible have to say about all this?

At times like these, ppauper comes to mind too.

c.f. archaeology
Apocalypse (Revelation) Biblical explanation
The Wilmott Bible Study Thread
and not last, and not least:
Creationism vs. Evolutionism

Just  a few from the Archives.

I'll check back in a few weeks and see where the Ark is heading then.
I has a preacher's version with footnotes not meant for the plebs.

I just discovered
As Leviathan is the king of fishes, so the Ziz is appointed to rule over the birds. His name comes from the variety of tastes his flesh has; it tastes like this, zeh, and like that, zeh. The Ziz is as monstrous of size as Leviathan himself. His ankles rest on the earth, and his head reaches to the very sky.

Those old timers loved to scare us common folk.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 7th, 2021, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Wheeler

bearish

June 7th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Noah was only doing his job in the face of adversity and those unbelievers .. it would be a mammoth task to get the Leviathan (Job 40) on board.
Wait - you’re implying that it was necessary to pull the king of the fishes out of the water to save them from drowning?

Cuchulainn

June 7th, 2021, 9:06 pm

In the Old Testament, Leviathan appears in Psalms 74:14 as a multiheaded sea serpent that is killed by God and given as food to the Hebrews in the wilderness.
WT*?
ppauper never told us that? So, Lev was a big edible eel?
David Wheeler

trackstar

June 7th, 2021, 11:01 pm

In the Old Testament, Leviathan appears in Psalms 74:14 as a multiheaded sea serpent that is killed by God and given as food to the Hebrews in the wilderness.
WT*?
Learn something new every day. Hopefully they cooked it first.

Fun Fact: Eels and eel blood are poisonous, so woe to him, her, them... who might try it raw.

I had one piece of eel sushi (unakyu) when I was in Kyoto. Hmmm. Back to salmon!

bearish: Full credit for non-binary animals. 

Maybe the seafaring ship could turn into a starship with some inscrutable incantation and flipping of qubits.

trackstar

June 7th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Leviathan would actually be a great name for a boat - wonder if the name is taken.

I may get a J105 some day with some friends. Nice racing boat - good sized fleets around here.

We will name it "No Ambition" - perfect for a bunch of Gen X slacker-sailors. ; )

J105 - 35 feet; it's not a Volvo 70, but fast and fun.

bearish

June 8th, 2021, 1:09 am

Leviathan would actually be a great name for a boat - wonder if the name is taken.

I may get a J105 some day with some friends. Nice racing boat - good sized fleets around here.

We will name it "No Ambition" - perfect for a bunch of Gen X slacker-sailors. ; )

J105 - 35 feet; it's not a Volvo 70, but fast and fun.
Should that be “Noah ‘mbition”?

katastrofa

June 8th, 2021, 2:42 am

WT*?
Since there's been so many mentions of eels in the forum lately, I no longer can resist the temptation of sharing my latest shocking discovery: Sigmund Freud started his scientific career as an ichthyologist. One of his first tasks (and eventually an anathema) was searching for male eel sexual organs, a.k.a. penis :oops:
And I thought Freud's "penis envy" theory had something to do with his dislike of women!

"Beobachtungen über Gestaltung und feineren Bau der als Hoden beschriebenen Lappenorgane des Aals"

trackstar

June 8th, 2021, 3:41 am

: )

Transitional thoughts...

On a J24s, the spinnaker pole is free and you go forward and attach it to the mast for the spin set. Better do the whole thing right because when the kite "loads up" in a strong wind, you won't be able to get it back easily. ("Kite" is the spinnaker sail).

On J105s, the pole is permanently attached to the bow - here are some J105s racing and you can see the spin sets as they round the mark and head down wind.  One of my favorite moments in racing. 
I believe that you are near at least one large lake there... forget the eels < go sailing and learn how to use a spinnaker pole!  It is an important job on the boat. : ) 

Cuchulainn

June 8th, 2021, 1:21 pm

David Wheeler

trackstar

June 8th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Haha - a classic and in the quant context - an anti-volatility song.

On sailing though - was thinking that this is closer to the spirit and feeling of skiing. Physical exertion, rewarded with flying.

I love hiking in wilderness, but that will always be one foot in front of the other.

And cycling is cool, if only it could be in nature. But around here, even on the more rural secondary roads, you have to be really careful about cars.

Anyway, some people would find it quite boring, some get sea sick, and others might prefer cruising or motorboats to racing.

Still, if 100 (or 1,000) people read this thread and just 1 person tries it (anyone, not just the visible audience) and LOVES it, then... : )

Thanks for laughs about Leviathan and Ziz - I will read those strange old Biblical stories again by cabin candlelight soon.

Cuchulainn

June 8th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I stepped onto the tatami last night ... group foto coming up.
David Wheeler