Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Re: which movie should I see this weekend?

March 29th, 2018, 7:54 pm

wiki describes both Taken and The Transporter as English-language French movies, each of which has 2 sequels

if you relax the constraint that you need a trilogy, there's more choice

Paul

March 29th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Just saw "Breathe" on a plane. Two hours of me non-stop sobbing in an aisle seat. The crew must have thought I was travelling to a close relative's funeral.

Gamal

March 29th, 2018, 8:45 pm

wiki describes both Taken and The Transporter as English-language French movies, each of which has 2 sequels

Do all well-educated east-coast American males agree that a trilogy must consist of three movies?

tags

March 29th, 2018, 9:33 pm

For the anecdote, I just had no clue when being asked. The boss from the London office, who was also there, then said "Jean de Florette" ("Gin du Fluraite"). For a moment, I thought damn I wouldn't get the job because of that damn question. LOL

In retrospect, another answer could have been Marcel Pagnol's Marseille Trilogy (Marius, Fanny and César).

bearish

March 30th, 2018, 12:56 am

Do all well-educated east-coast American males agree that a trilogy must consist of three movies?
I am a well-educated male who lives on the East coast of America, but have no opinions on movies. When it comes to books, though, there is this well known counter example (quoting Wikipedia, for convenience): "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the first of five books in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy comedy science fiction “trilogy” by Douglas Adams.”

Traden4Alpha

March 30th, 2018, 1:00 am

I am a well-educated male who lives on the East coast of America, but have no opinions on movies. When it comes to books, though, there is this well known counter example (quoting Wikipedia, for convenience): "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the first of five books in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy comedy science fiction “trilogy” by Douglas Adams.”
Only Adams could use the cardinality of his set of books as yet another joke about the absurdity of the human condition!

---

In this day an age, anything that self-identifies as a trilogy counts, no?

bearish

March 30th, 2018, 1:10 am

Only Adams could use the cardinality of his set of books as yet another joke about the absurdity of the human condition!

---

I am not sure how this happened, but this line of inquiry led me to trisexuality which (when googled) leads to unexpected places, included sex with a triceratops (remember Sarah?). A more conventional definition seems to be somebody who is willing to "try" anything sexually. At some point this may circle back to the movies...

Traden4Alpha

March 30th, 2018, 1:18 am

---

I am not sure how this happened, but this line of inquiry led me to trisexuality which (when googled) leads to unexpected places, included sex with a triceratops (remember Sarah?). A more conventional definition seems to be somebody who is willing to "try" anything sexually. At some point this may circle back to the movies...
And it might also lead to the problem of triangle inequalities and the Pyshagorean theorem.

Paul

March 30th, 2018, 2:03 am

Discuss the different meanings and interpretations of "tri" in the works of Douglas Adams. Use as examples "trilogy" and "triple breasted." Extra points will be awarded for observations on the relationship between author royalties and quantity of books in a series, but how royalties are unaffected by number of breasts in excess of three.

Traden4Alpha

March 30th, 2018, 12:29 pm

This is a job for convexity!

There's a optimum number of breasts and books with worse outcomes if there too few or too many.

Cuchulainn

November 27th, 2018, 4:51 pm

1900?

katastrofa

May 23rd, 2019, 1:38 am

The movie is over 3 hours... Excellent - but phew! And yet I'm still not getting sleepy :-(

What's the most boring movie you've ever seen?

Alan

May 24th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Any movie with zombies -- zombies are boring. (Unless they're White Walkers  :D)

katastrofa

May 24th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I ended up watching BBC's Civilisations series till the morning. Good stuff! I guess I should have asked about something more boring than I, because I love zombie movies! :-D
The Game of Thrones craze (I had to google what are White Walkers) makes me worried about myself, though. Everybody watches and talks about it: men and women, young and old, whites and colours, ... I found it inane and repetitive (which is quite an achievement considering I watched only 15 minutes of the pilot). I feel socially unadjusted.

Cuchulainn

May 24th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Zombie movies are low-budget because the zombies don't get speaking roles. 

In this movie the black man is killed.