SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

N
Topic Author

People in in western Pennsylvania cautioned to stay indoors today...

January 8th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Vice President Dick Cheney was scheduled to be in western Pennsylvania Monday for a hunting trip.

nazzdack

January 9th, 2007, 1:26 am

The caution was downgraded to say it's okay to go outside as long as you're wearing a kevlar face-shield.

ppauper

June 19th, 2013, 5:09 pm

porked

ppauper

August 8th, 2013, 5:47 am

sticky situationcherry-lime ?what food is that in ?

tagoma

August 8th, 2013, 8:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppaupersticky situationcherry-lime ?what food is that in ?Some cherry sirup ... eh ... mixed with lime? LOL Anyway what's this language the report use?"The stuff isn't harmful, but created quite a mess."
Last edited by tagoma on August 7th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

February 13th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Train carrying oil derails

ppauper

February 13th, 2014, 4:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardTrain carrying oil derailsthis will happen more and more the longer obama blocks pipeline construction

Cuchulainn

February 13th, 2014, 5:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardTrain carrying oil derailsthis will happen more and more the longer obama blocks pipeline constructionNothing wrong with pipe lines. It's shale oil/fracking AFAIK that mucks up the environment? migalley's stagnant water?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 12th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

February 13th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Obama rejects Keystone pipeline from Canada to Texaswhich means oil goes by rail instead

tagoma

May 29th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Pennsylvania's gay marriage ban is struck down

ppauper

May 29th, 2014, 1:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaPennsylvania's gay marriage ban is struck downit's the same old story, there is absolutely nothing in either the state (PA) or federal (US) constitution which prevents the legislature restricting marriage to between one man and one womanand it was grossly irresponsible not to put this ruling on hold pending an appeal (although I don't think an appeal is necessary, the legislative and administrative branches should just ignore it as they are sworn to uphold the constitution)

traderjoe1976

May 29th, 2014, 2:54 pm

The legislative and administrative branches cannot ignore a court order. If the judge finds that the state law violates the constitution, then the constitution takes precendence over state law and the state law is inherently null and void and cannot be enforced.The only way to get around this is to appeal. The appeals will fail in all the Federal courts of appeal and will eventually reach the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court will decide this issue in the first half of 2015 and will make a final ruling based on their understanding of the US Constitution. Most probably, the Supreme Court will uphold the ruling of the Federal Court.The chance of success on appeal in this case is so miniscule that most states have declined to appeal similar rulings by the Federal Courts. The appeals courts have even refused to issue a stay on the order on the lower courts.The Supreme Court will make the final call early next year.

ppauper

May 29th, 2014, 3:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976The legislative and administrative branches cannot ignore a court order. If the judge finds that the state law violates the constitution, then the constitution takes precendence over state law and the state law is inherently null and void and cannot be enforced.The only way to get around this is to appeal. The appeals will fail in all the Federal courts of appeal and will eventually reach the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court will decide this issue in the first half of 2015 and will make a final ruling based on their understanding of the US Constitution. Most probably, the Supreme Court will uphold the ruling of the Federal Court.The chance of success on appeal in this case is so miniscule that most states have declined to appeal similar rulings by the Federal Courts. The appeals courts have even refused to issue a stay on the order on the lower courts.The Supreme Court will make the final call early next year.of course they can ignore itThe legislative and administrative branches can declare the court's decision unconstitutional and refuse to issue state marriage licenses to homosexuals

traderjoe1976

May 29th, 2014, 5:07 pm

600,000 Americans died in the American Civil War because the US Constitution stated that Blacks were free while the Southern states insisted that Blacks were slaves and had to work for free.These same issues already occurred when Blacks got the right to vote, when women got the right to vote, etc.The US Constitution will always trump state law.Legislators have to authority to change the US constitution, but they cannot pass laws which contradict the US Constitution.

ppauper

February 11th, 2015, 5:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976600,000 Americans died in the American Civil War because the US Constitution stated that Blacks were free while the Southern states insisted that Blacks were slaves and had to work for free.These same issues already occurred when Blacks got the right to vote, when women got the right to vote, etc.The US Constitution will always trump state law.Legislators have to authority to change the US constitution, but they cannot pass laws which contradict the US Constitution.abraham lincolnQuoteMy paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On