SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer

New Forum poll

February 10th, 2007, 12:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenDo we consider Stalin's tap-dancing career when measuringStalin had a tap-dancing career?

ppauper

New Forum poll

February 10th, 2007, 2:42 pm

QuoteMonetarists, including the late Milton Friedman and Benjamin Bernanke, stress the negative role of the American Federal Reserve System in failing to reverse the cascading bank failures. They do not argue the federal reserve caused the depression, but rather that different policies might have stopped the downward slide. By not acting the Federal reserve allowed the money supply to drop by one-third from 1930 to 1931. In A Monetary History of the United States, Friedman argued that the downward turn in the economy starting with the stock market crash would have been just another recession. The problem was that some large, public bank failures, particularly the Bank of the United States, produced widespread runs on local banks, and that the Federal Reserve sat idly by while banks fell. He claimed that if the Federal Reserve had acted by providing emergency lending to these key banks or simply bought government bonds on the open market to provide liquidity and increase the quantity of money after the key banks fell, all the rest of the banks would not have fallen after the large ones did, the money supply would not have fallen to the extent and at the speed that it did. With significantly less money to go around, businessmen could not get new loans and could not even get their old loans renewed, forcing many to stop investing. This interpretation blames the Federal Reserve (the Fed), especially the New York branch, which was owned and controlled by Wall Street bankers for inaction.The Fed was not controlled by President Herbert Hoover nor the U.S. Treasury; it was primarily controlled by member banks and businessmen and it was to these groups that the Fed listened most attentively regarding policies to follow.[3]

Marsden

New Forum poll

February 10th, 2007, 2:45 pm

What if he did? Would it cast all the slavery and all the murders he was responsible for as Soviet Premier in a different light?

farmer

New Forum poll

February 11th, 2007, 12:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenWhat if he did?Well, it's just surprising you know so little actual history that you throw out Stalin and tapdance. I mean, suppose we were talking about music, what if Michael Jackson wore shoes?

Marsden

New Forum poll

February 11th, 2007, 1:23 am

I would guess that Michael Jackson, shoeless or not, was never as horrible a President as the current holder of that office.

Marsden

New Forum poll

February 12th, 2007, 2:26 pm

How about those Dixie Chicks, eh Stephen?

dibble
Topic Author

New Forum poll

March 15th, 2007, 6:05 pm

What's Alberto Gonzales's biggest mistake?

ppauper

New Forum poll

March 19th, 2007, 1:08 pm

Should Michael Savage seek the presidency of these United States ?At the time of posting, 5 million folks have voted yes:Yes(5129694) 100% No(19900) 0% QuoteMichael Savage '08 ?Tanks keeping illegal immigrants from U.S. borders? Nukes dropped on terrorist sanctuaries? Iraqi insurgent strongholds barb-wired and then decimated? That's just a glimpse into the future should radio host Michael Savage have his way and become the next leader of the free world. The highly rated talker, whose books include "The Enemy Within" and "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder: Savage Solutions," announced last month he may leave the airwaves, join the political zoo and run for top office in the United States. Since then, over five million people affirmed they want him to seek the presidency, according to an online opinion poll conducted by Savage Productions. In an interview today, the radio personality spelled out his official presidential policies on some of today's burning issues: Regarding U.S. border control, Savage favors stationing the National Guard along America's periphery "with orders to shoot to kill." "I'd also put tanks on the border if necessary. I'd reinforce the border after making sure we still have a border following so many years of having it melted down under George Bush," Savage said. Savage's formula for winning the war on terror is simple: "My platform would be nuke 'em and rebuke 'em. Hit them hard. Hit them fast and get out of the Middle East. Teach them we are the most powerful nation on earth and when our interests and their interests conflict, we are going to win." The talker maintains America can "absolutely" be victorious in Iraq. He said as president he would "send maximum force into the Sunni triangle and after giving them 72 hours to evacuate their women and children, turn on the Sadar City area and not go door to door, but decimate the entire area after barb-wiring the place and letting the women and children out." Following his prescribed military campaign, Savage said Iraq would be divided into four quadrants as determined by the League of Nations after World War I. He then turned to Iran, calling it a "great nation of great people," but deeming Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad "an anomaly, the Hitler of our time." Savage advocated an international coalition unified against Ahmadinejad to ensure Iranians "have a chance to live in freedom and peace." Savage said his presidential candidacy can do no harm, since the GOP in its current state is "incapable of winning." He knocked all the current Republican candidates as "good Republicans and bad conservatives. None of them evidence much of a conservative orientation." While Savage is considering a run, vice-presidential candidates shouldn't be lining up just yet. "I'm just exploring," he said in a previous online interview. "I could not continue to do my radio show. I've been told that once you've declared yourself a candidate and you're openly running, you have to give up your career in the media for obviously good reasons." Savage is now the nation's third-most popular talk-show host (the fat man is numero uno I assume, but who's number 2 ?), reaching about 8 million fans listening on more than 370 stations weekly. His show is consistently ranked one of the nation's most influential, and is rated No. 1 in multiple major city markets, including his home base in San Francisco.

mdubuque

New Forum poll

March 27th, 2007, 4:36 am

Oh my god, only a shocking illiterate would call Bernanke a monetarist. My, my.Does he have any say in the matter?MattQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteMonetarists, including the late Milton Friedman and Benjamin Bernanke, stress the negative role of the American Federal Reserve System in failing to reverse the cascading bank failures. They do not argue the federal reserve caused the depression, but rather that different policies might have stopped the downward slide. By not acting the Federal reserve allowed the money supply to drop by one-third from 1930 to 1931. In A Monetary History of the United States, Friedman argued that the downward turn in the economy starting with the stock market crash would have been just another recession. The problem was that some large, public bank failures, particularly the Bank of the United States, produced widespread runs on local banks, and that the Federal Reserve sat idly by while banks fell. He claimed that if the Federal Reserve had acted by providing emergency lending to these key banks or simply bought government bonds on the open market to provide liquidity and increase the quantity of money after the key banks fell, all the rest of the banks would not have fallen after the large ones did, the money supply would not have fallen to the extent and at the speed that it did. With significantly less money to go around, businessmen could not get new loans and could not even get their old loans renewed, forcing many to stop investing. This interpretation blames the Federal Reserve (the Fed), especially the New York branch, which was owned and controlled by Wall Street bankers for inaction.The Fed was not controlled by President Herbert Hoover nor the U.S. Treasury; it was primarily controlled by member banks and businessmen and it was to these groups that the Fed listened most attentively regarding policies to follow.[3]

ppauper

New Forum poll

March 27th, 2007, 1:02 pm

Remarks by Governor Ben S. Bernanke on: The Legacy of Milton and Rose Friedman's Free to Choose,

dibble
Topic Author

New Forum poll

May 14th, 2007, 2:05 am

Who most deserves to be impeached?

migalley

New Forum poll

July 12th, 2007, 5:05 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On