Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper
Topic Author

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 2:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIt was a good show - of all the movies nominated, I have only seen Interstellar, but I will see the Turing and Hawking movies some time.The dresses were fabulous as always; black, white, shades of ivory, cream and very pale pink were in. Lots of goddess dresses with woven drape features. Scarlett Johansson stood out in a deep turquoise green dress with a fancy crystal collar necklace in the same shade.People made some interesting political statements in their acceptance speeches and were bolder than normal in that regard.Particularly Patricia Arquette, who called for equal pay for equal work. Huge applause for that and outside of Hollywood, I'd add that there should be more female VCs and hedge fund managers.didn't watch them (I never watch award ceremonies), but there was a headline on drudge today about doogie howser presenting the awards in a diaper or somethinghis headline was "American Diaper"

trackstar

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 3:50 pm

Briefs. Someone said it was a reference to a scene in Birdman.Another surprise - you might not care for The Sound of Music, but Lady Gaga did a very nice rendition of a medley from the film.I suppose she is pointing herself towards film now, or maybe Broadway musicals.
Last edited by trackstar on February 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See the ball, be the ball. - Ty Webb

Cuchulainn

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 3:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarBriefs. Someone said it was a reference to a scene in Birdman.Another surprise - you might not care for The Sound of Music, but Lady Gaga did a very nice rendition of a medley from the film.I suppose she is pointing herself towards film now, or maybe Broadway musicals.Quality time? All the best actors started on Broadway.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

trackstar

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 4:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarBriefs. Someone said it was a reference to a scene in Birdman.Another surprise - you might not care for The Sound of Music, but Lady Gaga did a very nice rendition of a medley from the film.I suppose she is pointing herself towards film now, or maybe Broadway musicals.Quality time?I think so - she was stunning. Weird edgy caterpillar to butterfly.On youtube at the moment - it could get taken down for copyright, but for now:Lady Gaga at 87th Oscars Tattoos and all.
Last edited by trackstar on February 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 4:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarBriefs. Someone said it was a reference to a scene in Birdman.Another surprise - you might not care for The Sound of Music, but Lady Gaga did a very nice rendition of a medley from the film.I suppose she is pointing herself towards film now, or maybe Broadway musicals.Quality time?I think so - she was stunning. Weird edgy caterpillar to butterfly.On youtube at the moment - it could get taken down for copyright, but for now:Lady Gaga at 87th Oscars Tattoos and all.Would she survive the Broadway stage?
David Wheeler

trackstar

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 4:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWould she survive the Broadway stage?Absolutely, as long as she takes good care of her voice and makes the right choices.What will the next blockbuster musical be? I have no idea, but you can see what goes on and runs for a very long time: Cats, Les Mis, Phantom...Best plan: things that have potential to go from musical to film - like Evita. This is why you would show the people at the Academy Awards what you were really capable of.

rmax

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 4:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar...I'd add that there should be more female VCs and hedge fund managers.I am interested in your opinion as to why this is not the case. Is there still a high-level of misogyny in the industry that prevents it? Is it something that you have witnessed first hand?

trackstar

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 5:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar...I'd add that there should be more female VCs and hedge fund managers.I am interested in your opinion as to why this is not the case. Is there still a high-level of misogyny in the industry that prevents it? Is it something that you have witnessed first hand?Yes, I have witnessed this first hand.It is due to a somewhat complicated mixture of things.One of the ways that women make it tough on themselves is to seek some kind of work-life balance and yet still have very high powered jobs. That might be an ideal that can work in some industries, but it does not lend itself well to VC, PE or HFs.There is also an issue of domain expertise - in VC, very important to understand tech, business, and finance.In PE, you have to be a very tough negotiator and more than a little ruthless with the balance sheet.For HFs - I was recently at a conference where a new female manager was getting a great deal of respectful attention. She was brilliant, has a great strategy, was well-spoken in front of a large audience, and also very attractive in an elegant and professional way. If you have the whole package, then good things can happen around you.I won't speak to the negative side. To stay inspired, I must believe that women just have to keep searching for the right spots (there are some and some can be created) and then we have to outperform everything in sight. Onward and upward!

Cuchulainn

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 6:18 pm

QuoteWhat will the next blockbuster musical be?The "Wilmotters" of course. Think positive. It ain't worth a dime if it ain't got that rhyme.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Wheeler

trackstar

Oscars

February 23rd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Great! Here is a song for the new musical, The Wilmotters. We need a better title - The Quants of Penzance (nee Pirates)? North Atlantic, as opposed to South Pacific?Here we go:Some Enchanted EveningSome enchanted eveningYou may find Higgs Boson,You may find Higgs BosonIn the Collider roomAnd somehow you know,You know even thenThat somewhere you'll see itAgain and again.Some enchanted eveningThere may be strange attractionYou feel a strange attractionAcross a crowded roomAnd night after night,As strange as it seemsThe pull of attractionWarps time in your dreams.Who can explain it?Who can tell you why?Fools give you reasons,Wise men never try.Some enchanted eveningWhen you find the answersWhen you feel them call youAcross a crowded room,Then grasp their insightsAnd make them your ownOr all through your life, youMight search all alone.Once you have found them,Never let them go.Once you have found them,Never let them go!Some Enchanted Evening - Placido Domingo
Last edited by trackstar on February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

Oscars

February 24th, 2015, 7:40 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar...I'd add that there should be more female VCs and hedge fund managers.I am interested in your opinion as to why this is not the case. Is there still a high-level of misogyny in the industry that prevents it? Is it something that you have witnessed first hand?Yes, I have witnessed this first hand.It is due to a somewhat complicated mixture of things.One of the ways that women make it tough on themselves is to seek some kind of work-life balance and yet still have very high powered jobs. That might be an ideal that can work in some industries, but it does not lend itself well to VC, PE or HFs.There is also an issue of domain expertise - in VC, very important to understand tech, business, and finance.And women can't? Or don't want to?QuoteIn PE, you have to be a very tough negotiator and more than a little ruthless with the balance sheet.Paul W's ex-wives might be very good in this area from what I read in his postings!QuoteFor HFs - I was recently at a conference where a new female manager was getting a great deal of respectful attention. She was brilliant, has a great strategy, was well-spoken in front of a large audience, and also very attractive in an elegant and professional way. I think that this is always the case. I have been fortunate enough to meet and work with some brilliant people. It is just breathtaking how they can traverse a whole different set of skills seemingly easily.

Cuchulainn

Oscars

February 24th, 2015, 8:37 am

QuoteGreat! Here is a song for the new musical, The Wilmotters. We need a better title - The Quants of Penzance (nee Pirates)? North Atlantic, as opposed to South Pacific?Maybe "Seven Brides for Seven Wilmotters".
David Wheeler

exneratunrisk

Oscars

February 24th, 2015, 10:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIt was a good show - of all the movies nominated, I have only seen Interstellar, but I will see the Turing and Hawking movies some time.The dresses were fabulous as always; black, white, shades of ivory, cream and very pale pink were in. Lots of goddess dresses with woven drape features. Scarlett Johansson stood out in a deep turquoise green dress with a fancy crystal collar necklace in the same shade.People made some interesting political statements in their acceptance speeches and were bolder than normal in that regard.Particularly Patricia Arquette, who called for equal pay for equal work. Huge applause for that and outside of Hollywood, I'd add that there should be more female VCs and hedge fund managers.When the mainstream claims "political correctness" we can be sure that the next period will stay politically incorrect (the underprevileged or minorities will be pushed even harder towards the system borders)? It's the "law of mainstream".I like "oscared" movies only in rare cases. Edit: I like The Grand Budapest Hotel.
Last edited by exneratunrisk on February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exneratunrisk

Oscars

February 24th, 2015, 11:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarGreat! Here is a song for the new musical, The Wilmotters. We need a better title - The Quants of Penzance (nee Pirates)? North Atlantic, as opposed to South Pacific?Here we go:Some Enchanted EveningSome enchanted eveningYou may find Higgs Boson,You may find Higgs BosonIn the Collider roomAnd somehow you know,You know even thenThat somewhere you'll see itAgain and again.Some enchanted eveningThere may be strange attractionYou feel a strange attractionAcross a crowded roomAnd night after night,As strange as it seemsThe pull of attractionWarps time in your dreams.Who can explain it?Who can tell you why?Fools give you reasons,Wise men never try.Some enchanted eveningWhen you find the answersWhen you feel them call youAcross a crowded room,Then grasp their insightsAnd make them your ownOr all through your life, youMight search all alone.Once you have found them,Never let them go.Once you have found them,Never let them go!Some Enchanted Evening - Placido DomingoIs it the first sign of a downturn? "The W" as musical and the outdated Placido Domingo as its star? ;)
Last edited by exneratunrisk on February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

Oscars

February 24th, 2015, 11:28 am

Placido sings it perfectly - the way I hear it in my mind.
Last edited by trackstar on February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.