SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

anyone fly in their sleep ?

March 7th, 2007, 2:30 pm

flying in your sleepit sounds pretty weird/extreme: anyone here experience it ?

migalley

March 7th, 2007, 2:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperflying in your sleepit sounds pretty weird/extreme: anyone here experience it ?I have flown while asleep, but that was onboard an airplane after rather too much beer!

vixen

March 7th, 2007, 2:42 pm

I have fallen asleep while piloting an airplane, but that was in one of my dreams!

migalley

March 7th, 2007, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: vixenI have fallen asleep while piloting an airplane, but that was in one of my dreams!Did you auger in?

vixen

March 7th, 2007, 3:34 pm

No. I woke up as soon as I got that falling feeling!

rmax

March 8th, 2007, 7:53 am

Have often experienced many of these things - the most common is having people / things in the same room with me while I sleep. I think it is my imagination finding an outlet after working in IB all day.

ppauper
Topic Author

March 9th, 2007, 3:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxHave often experienced many of these things - the most common is having people / things in the same room with me while I sleep. I think it is my imagination finding an outlet after working in IB all day.ah, so stress related ?

samyonez

March 9th, 2007, 9:31 pm

i have had sleep paralysis many times. never had a "flying" or "out of body" experience: usually when i get this i am 'awake', i.e. conscious of my surroundings, but unable to move or speak, & stuff which i can see in the room starts to move, e.g shadows in curtains become faces or moving figures, usually pretty frightening ones. even if the dreams/hallucinations aren't scary, the whole experience usually brings a disproportionate sense of absolute mortifying terror...then it takes me several cycles of forcing myself awake with great effort, & lapsing back into the same dreams/hallucinations again, before i can convince my body to wake up & go for a walk round to shake it off.yeah, it's pretty wierd...i'm a normal, rational, pretty relaxed kind of guy in the rest of my waking hours.i first remember getting this when i was a kid, long before i had anything much to stress about, so i don't put it down to stress.

zeta

March 9th, 2007, 9:36 pm

citrus combined with sleep medications can do this. It could also be post-viral; have you had epstein bar/mono/something like it? ED: someone close to me had ross river fever with similar symptoms
Last edited by zeta on March 8th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samyonez

March 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm

nah, i don't think it has any particular cause; i've had it once every so often for the last 10 -15 yrs.

Traden4Alpha

March 10th, 2007, 1:40 am

I fly when I dream, but don't dream when I fly. I love flying dreams because if I concentrate in the dream, I can increase my altitude. Otherwise its a random walk with a downward drift. On planes, experience has taught me to stay awake on even the longest flights if at all possible (except SFO/LAX to Australia/New Zealand). I don't sleep well on planes and its much easier to delay my sleep cycle to the destination time-zone than it is to sleep badly and land with a busted body clock.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on March 9th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

March 10th, 2007, 11:33 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: samyonezi have had sleep paralysis many times. never had a "flying" or "out of body" experience: usually when i get this i am 'awake', i.e. conscious of my surroundings, but unable to move or speak, & stuff which i can see in the room starts to move, e.g shadows in curtains become faces or moving figures, usually pretty frightening ones. even if the dreams/hallucinations aren't scary, the whole experience usually brings a disproportionate sense of absolute mortifying terror...then it takes me several cycles of forcing myself awake with great effort, & lapsing back into the same dreams/hallucinations again, before i can convince my body to wake up & go for a walk round to shake it off.yeah, it's pretty wierd...i'm a normal, rational, pretty relaxed kind of guy in the rest of my waking hours.i first remember getting this when i was a kid, long before i had anything much to stress about, so i don't put it down to stress.Please, see your GP.

ppauper
Topic Author

March 10th, 2007, 2:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetacitrus combined with sleep medications can do this. citrus as in "oranges and lemons" ?so taking sleep meds with a glass of OJ ?Quotesomeone close to me had ross river fever with similar symptomshad to google that. same class of diseases as dengue fever.

ppauper
Topic Author

March 10th, 2007, 2:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: samyonezi have had sleep paralysis many times. never had a "flying" or "out of body" experience: usually when i get this i am 'awake', i.e. conscious of my surroundings, but unable to move or speak, & stuff which i can see in the room starts to move, e.g shadows in curtains become faces or moving figures, usually pretty frightening ones. even if the dreams/hallucinations aren't scary, the whole experience usually brings a disproportionate sense of absolute mortifying terror...then it takes me several cycles of forcing myself awake with great effort, & lapsing back into the same dreams/hallucinations again, before i can convince my body to wake up & go for a walk round to shake it off.yeah, it's pretty wierd...i'm a normal, rational, pretty relaxed kind of guy in the rest of my waking hours.i first remember getting this when i was a kid, long before i had anything much to stress about, so i don't put it down to stress.Please, see your GP.GP probably wouldn't help, and would likely just think he's nuts,plus I couldn't spot any mention of a cure in the article (or did I miss it ?) so not sure there's any point

ppauper
Topic Author

March 10th, 2007, 2:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: samyonezi first remember getting this when i was a kid, long before i had anything much to stress about, so i don't put it down to stress.thanks
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On