Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

migalley

anyone fly in their sleep ?

March 10th, 2007, 5:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperGP probably wouldn't help, and would likely just think he's nutsThe same thought had occurred to me.

Traden4Alpha

March 10th, 2007, 6:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: zetacitrus combined with sleep medications can do this. citrus as in "oranges and lemons" ?so taking sleep meds with a glass of OJ ?Actually, it's primarily grapefruit that causes this problem -- it inhibits certain intestinal enzymes that metabolize certain classes of drugs. The enzymes generally prevent the drug from getting into the body so that the effect of grapefruit is to let more of the drug reach the blood stream. If you take these drugs with grapefruit or its juice, you will get a much higher dose of the medication than you expect. For example, one study found that taking one valium with grapefruit juice was equivalent to taking three valiums with water. Some studies also suggest that limes and Seville oranges may have this effect too.Ain't pharmacokinetics fun.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on March 10th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaperCut

March 11th, 2007, 12:59 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperflying in your sleepit sounds pretty weird/extreme: anyone here experience it ?Yes I get this paralysis thing from time to time. It's terrifying.My no. 1 recurring dream: it's near final exam time and I realize I have forgotten to go to one class all semester, and I won't have enough credits to graduate. It's always some sort of english or speech class. Ugh.

Cuchulainn

March 11th, 2007, 8:16 am

karhu

March 12th, 2007, 10:04 pm

I used to fly in a dream quite often. It is amazing. I wonder where the mind "recollects" this feeling from... rollercoasters, swings?I also get sleep paralysis sometimes. It is terrifying indeed. I think in China they say a ghost sits on your chest... I usually am aware of my breathing in these moments although I cannot move... So I would just take one very deep breath to have my chest physically move a little bit, and I am able to regain control from there.Oh yes, and this "missed exam" dream happens too .
Last edited by karhu on March 11th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeta

March 12th, 2007, 10:34 pm

Quotecitrus as in "oranges and lemons" ?T'fo'Alpha got it, the culprit is actually grapefruit, I was wrong.I did not know Ross River was like dengue. In any case when your body takes a hit like that, post viral it's not uncommon to have a sleep disorder. I had glandular fever when I was twelve with one bad episode of sleep paralysis, unpleasant to say the leastQuoteMy no. 1 recurring dream: it's near final exam time and I realize I have forgotten to go to one class all semester, and I won't have enough credits to graduate. It's always some sort of english or speech class. Ugh.LOL great, I'm not the only one who suffers from this one. Generally it's year 12 accounting (which I detested) or senior quantum (which I skipped entirely)

TraderJoe

March 12th, 2007, 11:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetaQuotecitrus as in "oranges and lemons" ?T'fo'Alpha got it, the culprit is actually grapefruit, I was wrong.I did not know Ross River was like dengue. In any case when your body takes a hit like that, post viral it's not uncommon to have a sleep disorder. I had glandular fever when I was twelve with one bad episode of sleep paralysis, unpleasant to say the leastQuoteMy no. 1 recurring dream: it's near final exam time and I realize I have forgotten to go to one class all semester, and I won't have enough credits to graduate. It's always some sort of english or speech class. Ugh.LOL great, ... or senior quantum (which I skipped entirely)Call yourself a physicist ??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't make me laff!!
Last edited by TraderJoe on March 12th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

March 13th, 2007, 11:51 am

Senior Quantum - I understand entirely - the guy who gave the lectures used an n or m suffix for the w.f. and with his writing I could never tell which was what..!I remember watching an interesting programme where this woman investigates UFOs, and came up with it being a modern form of the Incubus as there are a lot of similarities of reports (kidnapping, sex, experimentation etc).The last thing she did in the programme was sitting in a darkened room and having a helmet put on her head which emitted EM waves. They switched the gizmo on, and she explained what she was feeling - being drawn from her chair and she fet v. v. scared.The theory is that the two hemispheres of the brain have a EM field in synch - if the two hemispheres get out of synch then they produce these hallucinogenic experiences.

zeta

March 13th, 2007, 3:31 pm

I did the same in grad school TJ and got an A in quantum. I missed most math classes and have close to a straight A GPA there as well. You get good with a little talent and lots of problem solving, not by going to classlemme guess, you worked your cranky ass off for a C+ average

TraderJoe

March 14th, 2007, 11:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetaI did the same in grad school TJ and got an A in quantum. I missed most math classes and have close to a straight A GPA there as well. You get good with a little talent and lots of problem solving, not by going to classlemme guess, you worked your cranky ass off for a C+ averageI got an A*.It's ridiculously easy to get A's in math.I have an A GPA, but I don't boast about it You crankyass muthaf**ka!
Last edited by TraderJoe on March 14th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

March 14th, 2007, 11:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSenior Quantum - I understand entirely - the guy who gave the lectures used an n or m suffix for the w.f. and with his writing I could never tell which was what..!.m and n! Ha don't make me laugh. That's undergrad physics. What, you never even graduated???

migalley

March 15th, 2007, 11:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: zetaI did the same in grad school TJ and got an A in quantum. I missed most math classes and have close to a straight A GPA there as well. You get good with a little talent and lots of problem solving, not by going to classlemme guess, you worked your cranky ass off for a C+ averageI got an A*.It's ridiculously easy to get A's in math.I have an A GPA, but I don't boast about it You crankyass muthaf**ka!I thought that all you got examined on in NZ was raping, bashing and car-jacking.

ppauper
Topic Author

March 15th, 2007, 1:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeI have an A GPA, but I don't boast about it You crankyass muthaf**ka!I thought that all you got examined on in NZ was raping, bashing and car-jacking.like he said, he has an A average

TraderJoe

March 15th, 2007, 9:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeI have an A GPA, but I don't boast about it You crankyass muthaf**ka!I thought that all you got examined on in NZ was raping, bashing and car-jacking.like he said, he has an A averageYeah, but that was from a grad school in the Northeastern United States
Last edited by TraderJoe on March 14th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

migalley

March 16th, 2007, 12:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeI have an A GPA, but I don't boast about it You crankyass muthaf**ka!I thought that all you got examined on in NZ was raping, bashing and car-jacking.like he said, he has an A averageYeah, but that was from a grad school in the Northeastern United States So all that violence in NZ served you well!