SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

zeta
Topic Author

why is there only one coffee option in the US?

April 24th, 2007, 3:44 pm

and why do I have to wait 20 minutes for 3 people to get something with soy in it, so I can get a hot cup of wet dog juiceas anyone who has stepped outside her fair borders can tell you, we are getting seriously screwed here in uncle sam at your local friendly fourbucks

ppauper

April 24th, 2007, 6:46 pm

you could always go to Drunkin' Donuts

zeta
Topic Author

April 24th, 2007, 6:52 pm

that's not a bad idea, hope they keep popping up

gardener3

April 24th, 2007, 8:15 pm

There should be two lines at coffee shops. One for people who want to get fancy drinks which take forever to make, and another for people who just want cofee.I just waited in line for 10 mins because some bozo ordered a machiatto, and then the cashier hands me an empty cup and points me to the coffee. She didn't even fill the cup. And they have the nerve to ask for tips. who is waiting on whom?

zeta
Topic Author

April 25th, 2007, 12:50 am

QuoteThere should be two lines at coffee shops. One for people who want to get fancy drinks which take forever to make, and another for people who just want cofee.I just waited in line for 10 mins because some bozo ordered a machiatto, and then the cashier hands me an empty cup and points me to the coffee. She didn't even fill the cup. And they have the nerve to ask for tips. who is waiting on whom? I also object to the attempts to placate me with putumayo and norah jones

mdubuque

April 25th, 2007, 3:18 am

The obliteration of culture in the globalization Cuisinart.Who among us will fight and die for Starbucks?The locusts are destroying our culture.Predator capitalism is NOT the wave of the future.Matt

zeta
Topic Author

April 25th, 2007, 11:21 am

I dunno, a single option for coffee sounds a little un-capitalistic to me. but more than that it's total crap and you have to pay top dollar for the privilege of drinking something masquerading as the coffee 'o' the day. I thought this was a free market economy we were living in here? The other bastion of the nouveau riche, pan-nero isn't much better. There you wait 40 minutes for 2 people to get an exotic over priced sandwich with artichoke on itCoffee drinkers/Europeans/South Americans, why are there no REAL cafes in the US? What gives

ppauper

April 25th, 2007, 2:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3and then the cashier hands me an empty cup and points me to the coffee. She didn't even fill the cup.on the plus side, that does give you the opportunity to sneak back for seconds/thirds/fourths/.... At the local starbucks-s we don't get that opportunity,At one or two of the rivals you get to serve yourself and there's usually a sign saying "only 1 refill", but we usually try to try each of the coffees on offer that dayQuotethey have the nerve to ask for tips indeed, or they just tap the tip cup

ppauper

April 25th, 2007, 2:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mdubuquePredator capitalism is NOT the wave of the futureindeed.I've lost count of the number of times a specialty store has been closed down because the transnationals come to town and are prepared to operate at a loss until they've driven the competition out of business and they have 100% of the local market

TraderJoe

April 25th, 2007, 9:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3 who is waiting on whom?There is no such thing as good service any more.
Last edited by TraderJoe on April 24th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

April 26th, 2007, 6:16 pm

I am thinking of buying a portable Illy machine when in parts foreign. The coffee I had the last 3 weeks was awful. Maybe I could ask farmer to make a interface between the Illy machine and my laptop so that I can program it to make coffee.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 25th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

quantmeh

April 26th, 2007, 7:19 pm

i suggest you all switch to plain ceilon black tea. it's awsome

zeta
Topic Author

April 26th, 2007, 7:34 pm

isn't the tannin bad? I suppose it couldn't be worse than caffeine

Cuchulainn

April 26th, 2007, 7:39 pm

dbl
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 25th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Piaget

Cuchulainn

April 26th, 2007, 7:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeani suggest you all switch to plain ceilon black tea. it's awsomeThat's what I drink in the evenings. It's great. But at 8.00 I drink real Italian coffee. Do you knowI reckon the guys at random.org drink it too.

Jean Piaget
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On