ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 1:12 pm

Thousands pay their respects to the Rev. Jerry Falwell

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 2:32 pm

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."--Jerry FalwellComments like that when folks were suffering and dying from this disease. Nope, I don't think Jesus would associate with Mr. Falwell.

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste. In the Christian religions, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.Okholm, Dennis. Rx for Gluttony. Christianity Today, Vol. 44, No. 10, September 4, 2000, p.62.When you live by the burger, you croke by the burger. Extra large coffin for the fat man sprawled on his desk, please.Here are a couple of verses that you might of wanted to keep in your fat back pocket, preacher boy. “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” (Proverbs 28:7)“When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.” (Proverbs 23:2)

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Who are you talking to?

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 8:03 pm

The fat man is a classic example of somebody who feeds off fear and ignorance. They can only find happiness in numbers. They believe the more the merrier. If you are not with us you are ‘agin’ us. Their own faith depends on the obliteration of opposing views, i.e. it is not faith at all, but a classic example of safety in crowds. It would be expected that these childhood fears are left behind with childhood, but there are many who never grow up.The man is too busy drumming up numbers for his right wing cabal, using fear and ignorance. But as the old saying goes, if he had only used that energy wisely, maybe to help man, particularly himself, then he may not of ended up as just another example of a burst pimple spluttering for air

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 8:14 pm

That's a pretty compelling piece. It's hard not to agree.

Hamilton

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 18th, 2007, 11:37 pm

QuoteWrath (Latin, ira) Main articles: Wrath (anger, hatred, prejudice, discrimination)Wrath may be described as inordinate and uncontrolled feelings of hatred and anger. These feelings can manifest as vehement denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial, impatience with the procedure of law, and the desire to seek revenge outside of the workings of the justice system (such as engaging in vigilantism), fanatical political beliefs, and generally wishing to do evil or harm to others.From Wikipedia

Hamilton

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 19th, 2007, 3:40 am

Quote1. What are the Seven Deadly Sins?Pope Gregory the Great (d. 604) described Seven Deadly Sins in his Moralia in Job.1. Superbia Pride2. Invidia Envy3. Ira Anger4. Avaritia Avarice5. Tristia Sadness6. Gula Gluttony7. Luxuria Lust(Moralia in Job, XXXI cap. xlv).The sin ‘Tristia’ was later replaced by ‘Accidia’, or Sloth (Wenzel (1967), 38). This sin was taken from earlier catalogues of vice, in particular, the eight evil thoughts listed by Evaagrius (346-99), and the eight principal vices proposed by the mid fourth-century writer Cassian (Wenzel (1967), 14-21). Some of the iconography of the Sins was derived from the descriptions of the Battles between the Virtues and Vices in the Psychomachia by the fourth-century poet Prudentius.My Goodness, Dibble is a closet Catholic

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 19th, 2007, 1:09 pm

QuoteYesterday evening, NPR's All Things Considered interviewed Paul Weyreich, who had co-founded the Moral Majority with Falwell. Mr. Weyreich described the late Rev. Falwell as a man who showed compassion to those with "alternate lifestyles". Mr. Weyreich's estimation suggests the late preacher was able to "hate the sin, but love the sinner". As the Reverend himself so eloquently put it:Quote"I don't agree with your lifestyle, I will never agree with your lifestyle, but I love you.And I hope that evangelicals might build a bridge to gay and lesbian people just as we have built a bridge to drug addicts, alcoholics and unwed mothers."

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 19th, 2007, 1:33 pm

QuoteHonoring my father By Jonathan FalwellIn I Kings chapter 2, the great King David spoke to his son Solomon about the important things in life. David, who was on his deathbed, shared with Solomon the importance of always following God's will in his life. David told his son to be strong, to obey God's laws and to never stray from what he had learned about God's promises. In the end, David promised Solomon that if he would follow God throughout his life, he would be able to accomplish great things. These principles David shared with his son are the same principles my dad followed throughout his life. He held God's promises close to his heart throughout his 55 years as a Christian and more than 50 years as a pastor, never losing sight of the unique vision God had planted in his heart. I saw through the years that my dad always sought God's direction and then boldly, even audaciously, went to work to carry out what God placed in his heart. As David shared those principles with Solomon thousands of years ago, my dad also shared the same principles with my brother, Jerry Jr., my sister, Jeanie, and with me. He not only verbally shared them with us, he lived them out in amazing ways. I never once saw my father stray from God's direction. I never doubted dad's walk with God because I witnessed his unswerving commitment to follow God's principles every step of the way. What a legacy! I am praying now that I can live my life as a humble and committed servant of God, as my dad did, as my family continues to keep the vision alive. My dad frequently quoted Proverbs 29:18, which simply states, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." My dad was most definitely a man of vision. As his son, I had a unique perspective on the growth of Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty University. I have witnessed many events, both good and bad, in their histories. One thing that was always evident was that dad never stopped believing in the vision that God placed on his heart. He was simply tenacious in following God's instructions. I was born in 1966, ten years after dad started his public ministry. As far back as I can remember, my memories of dad are of a man who was fully committed to doing everything he possibly could to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I remember many days and nights when he would come home and would tell the family the plans that God had laid on his heart for new ministries. I remember those first conversations about starting a college. His vision was to build a college that would further the educational arm of the ministry that had already begun with the founding of Lynchburg Christian Academy. He was buzzing with excitement at this new venture God had placed in his heart. I remember his conversations about expanding the television ministry across America to reach every possible home with the Gospel. I remember those early conversations about trying to impact the culture by getting involved in politics. I remember him sharing his passion to bring Christians to the political table. All along the way, my dad never got discouraged or sidetracked from the vision. He remained steadfast in a way that only Jerry Falwell could. As I think back on my dad's nearly 51 years of ministry, I can only attribute its great success to God and a man who understood vision. I hope that I, too, will be able to effectively teach these principles to my children in the years to come. And I hope that as I continue teaching these principles – to the church and to my own family – that it will be far more than just words. I am praying that God will allow me to embody the dedication to the Gospel in my life that I saw in my father's life. May people see these principles lived out every day in my life, just as I had the great privilege of witnessing this in my dad's life.

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 19th, 2007, 2:35 pm

TraderJoe

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 20th, 2007, 9:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteHonoring my father By Jonathan FalwellIn I Kings chapter 2, the great King David spoke to his son Solomon about the important things in life. David, who was on his deathbed, shared with Solomon the importance of always following God's will in his life. David told his son to be strong, to obey God's laws and to never stray from what he had learned about God's promises. In the end, David promised Solomon that if he would follow God throughout his life, he would be able to accomplish great things. These principles David shared with his son are the same principles my dad followed throughout his life. He held God's promises close to his heart throughout his 55 years as a Christian and more than 50 years as a pastor, never losing sight of the unique vision God had planted in his heart. I saw through the years that my dad always sought God's direction and then boldly, even audaciously, went to work to carry out what God placed in his heart. As David shared those principles with Solomon thousands of years ago, my dad also shared the same principles with my brother, Jerry Jr., my sister, Jeanie, and with me. He not only verbally shared them with us, he lived them out in amazing ways. I never once saw my father stray from God's direction. I never doubted dad's walk with God because I witnessed his unswerving commitment to follow God's principles every step of the way. What a legacy! I am praying now that I can live my life as a humble and committed servant of God, as my dad did, as my family continues to keep the vision alive. My dad frequently quoted Proverbs 29:18, which simply states, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." My dad was most definitely a man of vision. As his son, I had a unique perspective on the growth of Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty University. I have witnessed many events, both good and bad, in their histories. One thing that was always evident was that dad never stopped believing in the vision that God placed on his heart. He was simply tenacious in following God's instructions. I was born in 1966, ten years after dad started his public ministry. As far back as I can remember, my memories of dad are of a man who was fully committed to doing everything he possibly could to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I remember many days and nights when he would come home and would tell the family the plans that God had laid on his heart for new ministries. I remember those first conversations about starting a college. His vision was to build a college that would further the educational arm of the ministry that had already begun with the founding of Lynchburg Christian Academy. He was buzzing with excitement at this new venture God had placed in his heart. I remember his conversations about expanding the television ministry across America to reach every possible home with the Gospel. I remember those early conversations about trying to impact the culture by getting involved in politics. I remember him sharing his passion to bring Christians to the political table. All along the way, my dad never got discouraged or sidetracked from the vision. He remained steadfast in a way that only Jerry Falwell could. As I think back on my dad's nearly 51 years of ministry, I can only attribute its great success to God and a man who understood vision. I hope that I, too, will be able to effectively teach these principles to my children in the years to come. And I hope that as I continue teaching these principles – to the church and to my own family – that it will be far more than just words. I am praying that God will allow me to embody the dedication to the Gospel in my life that I saw in my father's life. May people see these principles lived out every day in my life, just as I had the great privilege of witnessing this in my dad's life. Amen brothers.Are there many famous Christian quants? Not many speak about their faith ....

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 21st, 2007, 5:58 pm

"...might build a bridge to gay and lesbian people just as we have built a bridge to drug addicts, alcoholics and unwed mothers."And just what has Falwell done for addicts, alcoholics and unwed mothers?Also, why would gay and lesbians need Falwell's bridge? Visit the typical gan/lesbian community and you will find:--More educated--Higher salary (and therefore paying more taxes)--By far less crime--More culturethan Falwell's followers. So what would they need their "bridge" for?
Last edited by CactusMan on May 20th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 21st, 2007, 6:15 pm

The fact that he would equate gays and lesbians and unwed mothers with diseases, pretty much says it all.Same can be said for his lemmings

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 21st, 2007, 6:26 pm

Of course when it came to diseases, the man had a chronic case of ignorance.This can be treated, but if you catch it before you reach adolescence, then you are pretty much screwed. There are exceptions, but the fat man was definitely not one of them.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On