zeta

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:06 pm

I'm your venus?

Cuchulainn

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zetaI'm your venus?enjoy the 80's what u do
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 21st, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleau contraireI do not profess to know, I just claim that your beliefs are not based on the evidence and seem to be laced with a fair amount of intolerance.I would take issue with this. These things are knowable. You can go out and observe. When somoeone says to me "...this is so great...", "...if only you would try...", and so on, I investigate.But, sadly most often what at first seems like a wide road quickly turns into a footpath, and then into a squirrel trail that runs up a tree (as Emerson might say).(There are some exceptions though. Some things are right.)The disturbing thing I have noticed, though, is that usually when you get to the squirrel trail part, the person is NOT willing to admit he's wrong, and simply continues his search for suckers. Hence, the confusion never quite ends.
Last edited by CactusMan on May 21st, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeta

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:30 pm

¡aye carumba!could you explain that a little more? I'm on vacation in a week and don't mind getting caught in some forum quick sand

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zeta¡aye carumba!could you explain that a little more? I'm on vacation in a week and don't mind getting caught in some forum quick sandExplain what? Are you talking to me?

zeta

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:49 pm

yes; for instance, which things are "knowable"

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 6:54 pm

It's all about healthy body, morals, mind, and spirit, right? Moving those things to the highest state possible, right? But, these things are OBSERVABLE.When a person has strong body, morals, mind, and spirit, it is certainly observable.And, on the other hand, the opposite is also observable. If you have ever had the opportunity to visit a mental institution or prison you would know that: Broken bodies, morals, minds, and spirits. (Sad, but true.)(I've had the opportunity, because I know folks who work medicine for them, and they took me out.)Also, if you ever get a change to talk with one of these broken individuals, ask them about the religion they practiced, what they believed in. YOU MAY SUDDENLY FIND YOURSELF WITH SOME EXTREME BIASES YOU MIGHT NEVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE!

gardener3

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 7:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleYes it is a fault of mine, I have no tolerance for intoleranceI hate bigots myself.TJ,just remember these immortal words from Bananarama On the intolerance of the intolerant:http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload ... ideo=86308

zeta

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 7:10 pm

QuoteAlso, if you ever get a change to talk with one of these broken individuals, ask them about the religion they practiced, what they believed in. YOU MAY SUDDENLY FIND YOURSELF WITH SOME EXTREME BIASES YOU MIGHT NEVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE! I've talked to plenty of broken individuals, and religion never got them there. It was bad choices, mental disease and/or alcohol. Religion, if anything, provides solace and a way outHowever I don't see what all this has to do with dibble's comment

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 7:58 pm

Depends on your definition of "broken".Do you remember that episode of star trek or in the "time machine" movie (probably in the book, but I did not read it), where the natives are afraid of a rock that makes a great howl every now and again. I think there are couple of human sacrifices thrown in for good measure. I would consider these natives to be “broken individuals”. They do not lead normal lives for fear of the howl. Likewise there is many a godist that lives in fear of the howl and similarly are broken individuals.ps: There are many godists who lead a healthy unbroken life, but it is my opinion that they would probably do this if they did not have religion. In other words they do not use religion as a crutch, like the alcoholic uses his glass edit: Have you noticed the number of "ex" addicts and alcoholics who turn to using jesus instead. Some people just like/need to be dependent.
Last edited by dibble on May 21st, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 8:07 pm

edit: Speaking of dependency, has anybody been watching "Rescue me" over the last couple of years. I just caught it recently in late night reruns, but by god I believe I am hooked.

CactusMan

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 8:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zeta<br...Religion, if anything, provides solace and a way outIt depends on the "religion". That's what I am saying to investigate.

TraderJoe

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 9:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleDepends on your definition of "broken".Do you remember that episode of star trek or in the "time machine" movie (probably in the book, but I did not read it), where the natives are afraid of a rock that makes a great howl every now and again. I think there are couple of human sacrifices thrown in for good measure. I would consider these natives to be “broken individuals”. They do not lead normal lives for fear of the howl. Likewise there is many a godist that lives in fear of the howl and similarly are broken individuals.ps: There are many godists who lead a healthy unbroken life, but it is my opinion that they would probably do this if they did not have religion. In other words they do not use religion as a crutch, like the alcoholic uses his glass edit: Have you noticed the number of "ex" addicts and alcoholics who turn to using jesus instead. Some people just like/need to be dependent.What's your poison dibble ?

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 22nd, 2007, 11:49 pm

To explain Ad nauseam that America is just "Old Europe" in diapers

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 12:00 am

btw: the bbc is reporting that the son of god came back as a hammer head in 2001 Captive shark had 'virgin birth'Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On