SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

zeta

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 12:25 am

the beebs just aint what it used to be

zeta

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:21 am

Quote Depends on your definition of "broken".mentally or physically, by there's or someone else's hand. QuoteDo you remember that episode of star trek or in the "time machine" movie (probably in the book, but I did not read it), where the natives are afraid of a rock that makes a great howl every now and again. I think there are couple of human sacrifices thrown in for good measure.yes, I think that's the definition of intellectual laziness or superstition. I also remember the one about the Son worshippers. To be honest I liked shatner better in that TZ with the gremlin on the planeQuoteps: There are many godists who lead a healthy unbroken life, but it is my opinion that they would probably do this if they did not have religion. In other words they do not use religion as a crutch, like the alcoholic uses his glassprobably, however I agree with that for different reasons. I don't think there's any correlation between good physical/mental health and spiritually. Look at Job sometime, if you haven't already. I totally reject the health/wealth gospel, as a calvinist I see suffering as coming with the turfQuoteedit: Have you noticed the number of "ex" addicts and alcoholics who turn to using jesus instead. Some people just like/need to be dependent.I've known people who recite that like a mantra with or without being alcoholic, and yes this might speak to a psychological problem. But then some recognize a spiritual problem and see Christ as the physician

Cuchulainn

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 7:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleDepends on your definition of "broken".Listen to thisThis boy has broken down Edit: was unable to find the original rendition
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 22nd, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 12:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibble-- Falwell's Moral Majority welcomed catholics So did the KKK when their numbers were flagging.I'll have to take your word for that: I'm not familiar with the KKK. Indeed, the only member I've heard of is Sen. Robert Bryd (D, WV), who was a Kleagle and and Exalted Cyclops in the Klan

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 12:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleYes it is a fault of mine, I have no tolerance for intolerancethen presumably you cannot tolerate yourself ?

Cuchulainn

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 pm

This guy? BTW what a name, Exalted Cyclops (sounds like Lord of the Rings)here
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 22nd, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Piaget

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI'd add for TJ's benefit (I'm sure he knows already, but in case he doesn't) that Falwell's Moral Majority welcomed catholicsFalwell sounds quite magnanimous and liberal (the latter word in the Edmund Burke sense in contrast to its interpretation by Joseph de Maistre).he was. Reverend Falwell was very much a "big tent" kind of guy.For example, despite what some of the other posters would have you believe, gays and lesbians were welcomed with open arms to worship and give praise to the Lord at his Thomas Road Baptist Church (you should hum amazing grace while you're reading this). "Love the sinner, hate the sin" may be a cliche, but it was the way that Reverend Falwell lived his life.Reverend Falwell always used to like to quote Romans and say "If God be with us, who can stand against us ?". The answer evidently is dibble.

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis guy? BTW what a name, Exalted Cyclops (sounds like Lord of the Rings)herethat's him.I don't know how you get to be a cyclops if you have 2 eyes

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:17 pm

-- Reverend Falwell always used to like to quote Romans and say "If God be with us, who can stand against us ?". The answer evidently is dibbleOnce again I categorically deny that I am the lord thy godDibble: Now, fuck off![silence]pauper: How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

Cuchulainn

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis guy? BTW what a name, Exalted Cyclops (sounds like Lord of the Rings)herethat's him.I don't know how you get to be a cyclops if you have 2 eyesmoot question

Jean Piaget

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dibbleOnce again I categorically deny that I am the lord thy god??? hey dibble, no one is saying that you are the lord

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:29 pm

Bomb Plot Thwarted at Falwell's Funeral

ppauper
Topic Author

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:34 pm

the eulogies continue:QuoteThe Falwell legacy by Judge Roy MooreChristians across our land paused yesterday, May 22, to remember the life of Dr. Jerry Falwell, the fiery televangelist who galvanized Christian conservatives of America in the 1970s into a powerful and effective political force known as the Moral Majority. As I listened to his eulogy at Thomas Road Baptist Church I was reminded that our nation had just lost not only a great preacher, but also a strong moral voice in our society. Personally, I had lost a good friend. Several years ago Dr. Falwell invited me to speak at this same church, and I remember how nervous I was as he sat on stage throughout my message. But this great preacher was also a gracious host. In 2003 I was honored to have Dr. Falwell travel to Montgomery, Ala., to stand by my side in defense of the public display of the Ten Commandments at the Alabama Judicial Building. I will never forget his words of encouragement at the state capitol building where he spoke in my support. Dr. Falwell had not always been active in the public arena, however. In fact, in the early years of his ministry he believed that Christians should stay out of politics and public life. But in 1973 the United States Supreme Court decided that women had a constitutional right to kill their unborn children – and a country preacher in Lynchburg, Va., by the name of Jerry Falwell was compelled to go on the offensive and to become a national spokesman for virtue and morality in America. Dr. Falwell was outspoken about the sin of abortion and fervently urged Christians to become actively involved in our culture. Of course, his actions infuriated the media and liberal groups like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood – but his boldness encouraged others who had been silent about the growing immorality in America to speak up as well. In more recent years when issues of homosexuality and same-sex "marriage" became part of the public debate, Jerry Falwell again stepped forward to renounce such sin and boldly proclaim the truth about God and His word. Falwell followed in the shoes of another brave Virginia preacher, the Rev. John Peter Muhlenberg, who during the Revolutionary War threw off his minister's robe at the conclusion of a sermon to reveal a military officer's uniform. Muhlenberg then marched hundreds of his congregants out of the church to become an infantry brigade in our war of independence. Like Muhlenberg, Jerry Falwell was never afraid to take a stand for truth and righteousness and to put his faith into action. Since his death last week, the media has referred to Dr. Falwell as "controversial" and even "radical." But his actions and public leadership distinguished him as a true patriot and great American. While many pastors are content to keep their faith within the four walls of the church, Dr. Falwell's life and ministry remain as a timeless example of a strong Christian witness. Like the Rev. John Witherspoon, the president of Princeton who in 1776 not only served in the Continental Congress but helped craft the Declaration of Independence, Dr. Falwell knew that "separation of church and state" did not mean we must banish morality and virtue from our public square. Dr. Jerry Falwell was a man of vision. His testimony continues at Liberty University, the Christian school he loved and worked so hard to build. A Christian law school was recently added where young men and women are taught the truth about God's law and its intimate connection with our own. We should not be surprised that Dr. Falwell passed away in his office at the university doing what he loved – building future leaders of our country. His legacy and influence will continue not just through the thousands of students who attended and will attend Liberty University, but also through his loving family, his devoted congregation, and others like me, who have been inspired and touched by his character and example. At this critical juncture in history, America faces a crisis of moral leadership. Leading candidates in both major political parties appear unconcerned with the immorality and sinful conduct around them, and politics seems once again to be more about power than principle. We need more men like Jerry Falwell who was not afraid to hold public servants accountable, and to face criticism and rejection for doing the right thing. We will miss Dr. Jerry Falwell, but I am sure that he will be rewarded in Heaven for his faithful service on earth. Like Paul of the New Testament, Dr. Falwell fought a good fight, he finished the course, and we can thank God that he kept the faith.

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 1:57 pm

Dibble: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the ass to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.

dibble

Jerry Falwell, RIP

May 23rd, 2007, 2:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperBomb Plot Thwarted at Falwell's FuneralThe student, 19-year-old Mark D. Uhl of Amissville, Va., reportedly told authorities that he was making the bombs to stop protesters from disrupting the funeral service.Yes, the fat man would have been proud. No room for opposing views. quote: No national Republicans attended Tuesday's funeral, including none of the GOP presidential candidates. All said they were too busy.btw: A picture of the fatman just before he collapsed came in on the wire today
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On