Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Climate Change & Extinction

March 26th, 2008, 9:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorI just bought some solar panels, not to stop global cooling, but to have my own power at a extreme remote location. These solar panels where much more expensive in a country that scream high about clean energy and that one should switch to alternative energy like solar panels, cheapest place I found was US, the low dollar is good.Norway? I heard Oslo is most expensive city.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 25th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

March 26th, 2008, 1:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorI just bought some solar panels, not to stop global cooling, but to have my own power at a extreme remote location. These solar panels where much more expensive in a country that scream high about clean energy and that one should switch to alternative energy like solar panels, cheapest place I found was US, the low dollar is good.might I suggest you hook up some good old fashioned incandescent lightbulbs to your solar array !

Cuchulainn

March 26th, 2008, 3:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorI just bought some solar panels, not to stop global cooling, but to have my own power at a extreme remote location. These solar panels where much more expensive in a country that scream high about clean energy and that one should switch to alternative energy like solar panels, cheapest place I found was US, the low dollar is good.might I suggest you hook up some good old fashioned incandescent lightbulbs to your solar array !I think that Collector will need to get planning permission for this one; you just can't put lightbulbs anywhere in the tundra, think of the wildlife.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 25th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

March 27th, 2008, 1:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorI just bought some solar panels, not to stop global cooling, but to have my own power at a extreme remote location. These solar panels where much more expensive in a country that scream high about clean energy and that one should switch to alternative energy like solar panels, cheapest place I found was US, the low dollar is good.might I suggest you hook up some good old fashioned incandescent lightbulbs to your solar array !I think that Collector will need to get planning permission for this one; you just can't put lightbulbs anywhere in the tundra, think of the wildlife.worried about keeping the caribou awake at night ?

JWD

March 29th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Ecosystem stress and global warming (IV) Stress on ecosystems exceeding adaptation, and including risk of extinction for many species, is a serious probable impact of global warming. Here, continued, is what the experts say in the 2007 IPCC report II (ref): Substantial changes in structure and functioning of terrestrial ecosystems are very likely to occur with a global warming of more than 2 to 3°C above pre-industrial levels (high confidence). Between about 25% (IPCC SRES B1 emissions scenario; 3.2°C warming) and about 40% (SRES A2 scenario; 4.4°C warming) of extant ecosystems will reveal appreciable changes by 2100, with some positive impacts especially in Africa and the Southern Hemisphere arid regions, but extensive forest and woodland decline in mid- to high latitudes and in the tropics, associated particularly with changing disturbance regimes (especially through wildfire and insects) [4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.5, 4.4.10, 4.4.11, Figure 4.3].Ref:2007 IPCC Report II: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Executive summary, pp. 213-214, Ch. 4: Ecosystems, their properties, goods and services. Notation [4.2] means Ch 4 Section 2, etc. Other excerpts will follow. -----------
Jan Dash, PhD

Editor, World Scientific Encyclopedia of Climate Change:
https://www.worldscientific.com/page/en ... ate-change

Book:
http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/ ... 71241_0053

JWD

April 5th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Ecosystem stress and global warming (V) Stress on ecosystems exceeding adaptation, and including risk of extinction for many species, is a serious probable impact of global warming. Here, continued, is what the experts say (ref): Substantial changes in structure and functioning of marine and other aquatic ecosystems are very likely to occur with a mean global warming of more than 2 to 3°C above preindustrial levels and the associated increased atmospheric CO2 levels (high confidence). Climate change (very high confidence) and ocean acidification (medium confidence) will impair a wide range of planktonic and shallow benthic marine organisms that use aragonite to make their shells or skeletons, such as corals and marine snails (pteropods), with significant impacts particularly in the Southern Ocean, where cold-water corals are likely to show large reductions in geographical range this century [4.4.9, Box 4.4]. Substantial loss of sea ice will reduce habitat for dependant species (e.g., polar bears) (very high confidence) [4.4.9, 4.4.6, Box 4.3, 4.4.10, Figure 4.4, Table 4.1, 15.4.3, 15.4.5]. Terrestrial tropical and sub-tropical aquatic systems are at significant risk under at least SRESA2 scenarios; negative impacts across about 25% of Africa by 2100 (especially southern and western Africa) will cause a decline in both water quality and ecosystem goods and services (high confidence) [4.4.8]. Ref:2007 IPCC Report II: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Executive summary, pp. 213-214, Ch. 4: Ecosystems, their properties, goods and services. Notation [4.2] means Ch 4 Section 2, etc. A final excerpt from this executive summary will follow. -----------
Jan Dash, PhD

Book:

JWD

April 21st, 2008, 4:19 pm

Ecosystem stress and global warming (VI) Stress on ecosystems exceeding adaptation, and including risk of extinction for many species, is a serious probable impact of global warming. Here, continued, is what the experts say. This is the last part of the Executive summary of Ch. 4 of the 2007 Impacts report (ref): Ecosystems and species are very likely to show a wide range of vulnerabilities to climate change, depending on imminence of exposure to ecosystem-specific, critical thresholds (very high confidence). Most vulnerable ecosystems include coral reefs, the sea-ice biome and other high-latitude ecosystems (e.g., boreal forests), mountain ecosystems and mediterranean-climate ecosystems (high confidence) [Figure 4.4, Table 4.1, 4.4.9, Box 4.4, 4.4.5, 4.4.6, Box 4.3, 4.4.7, 4.4.4, 4.4.10, 4.4.11]. Least vulnerable ecosystems include savannas and species-poor deserts, but this assessment is especially subject to uncertainty relating to the CO2-fertilisation effect and disturbance regimes such as fire (low confidence) [Box 4.1, 4.4.1, 4.4.2, Box 4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.10, 4.4.11].Ref:2007 IPCC Report II: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Executive summary, pp. 213-214, Ch. 4: Ecosystems, their properties, goods and services. Notation [4.2] means Ch 4 Section 2, etc. -----------
Jan Dash, PhD

Book:

tags

Re: Climate Change & Extinction

May 9th, 2021, 6:04 pm

++

Our house is burning down and we're blind to it. Nature, mutilated and overexploited, can no longer regenerate and we refuse to admit it. Humanity is suffering. It is suffering from poor development, in both the North and the South, and we stand indifferent. The earth and humankind are in danger and we are all responsible.

It is time to open our eyes. Alarms are sounding across all the continents. Europe is beset by natural disasters and health crises. The American economy, with its often-ravenous appetite for natural resources, seems to be hit by a crisis of confidence in the way it is managed. Latin America is again shaken by a financial, and hence social, crisis. In Asia, rising pollution evidenced by the brown cloud is spreading and threatening to poison an entire continent. Africa is plagued by conflicts, AIDS, desertification and famine. Some island countries are seeing their very existence threatened by climate warming.

We cannot say that we did not know! Let us make sure that the 21st century does not become, for future generations, the century of humanity's crime against life itself.
++

This 2002 speech of President Chirac is aging very well.

Alan

May 9th, 2021, 9:34 pm

I wonder. Some points hold up, but also reminds of this famous 1968 prediction of imminent doom:
The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate.
Turned out to be completely wrong.

Cuchulainn

May 9th, 2021, 10:24 pm

I wonder. Some points hold up, but also reminds of this famous 1968 prediction of imminent doom:
The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate.
The 1970s was 50 years ago.
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

bearish

May 9th, 2021, 10:32 pm

There is certainly a tradition of Malthusian prophecies missing the mark. The dean of my undergrad school was a co-author of The Limits to Growth, and is a full member of the Club of Rome. On the other hand, California does look a bit troubled, and I’m not even referring to the governor. But, you’re probably OK. The country is fucked, given the total submission demanded and received by dem Fuhrer (I think my grammar is OK). Between that and the ban on most non-whites voting in future elections in half the states, I don’t see a whole lot of reason for hope for the world at large. Crisis, what crisis?

Collector

May 19th, 2021, 4:19 pm

please do something, bearish and others need to eat this, message from your leader:

Eating insects could help boost nutrition and reduce pollution.

"The report calls for insect dishes to be added to restaurant menus"

"Most edible insects are gathered in forests and serve niche markets, the report states."

uhhu, and this will have no unexpected events?

and remember whole food always best, some would even say raw!

Collector

May 19th, 2021, 4:38 pm

insects ""some of them pass an enormous amount of gas."

Eat them first and save the world!! I am not kidding, this is too serious to be joked about!

Stop talking, take action!

Fact Check: https://news.ncsu.edu/2018/11/do-insects-fart/

katastrofa

May 19th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Poor poor people who resorted to eating insects. Now the rich fat West will take even that from them.

I have a better idea to limit the methane emission  (if it works for cockroaches, it should work for people):
cockroaches fed high-fiber diets emitted CH4 at rates four to six times greater than that of DC-fed cockroaches and exhibited greater differences in CH4 emission rates between larvae and adult cockroaches.
DC stands for dog chew ;-)

Cuchulainn

May 19th, 2021, 7:29 pm

It could happen to a bischof

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx6hAQmR1fg