Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan

Re: Creationism vs. Evolutionism

December 11th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Can New Species Evolve From Cancers? Maybe. Here’s How.
While Panchin was writing about transmissible cancers, he heard his colleagues express surprise at the genes for complex tissues that were turning up in certain unusual but simple parasitic animals. Further conversations led to what Panchin calls the “fantastic” idea that such simple parasites could have cancerous origins. “So we took all the data and we proposed this hypothesis,” he said.

According to Panchin’s three-step scenario, a Scandal would start off as a cancer, but not just any cancer. It would have to be transmissible, so that it wouldn’t die when its host did. Then the cancer would have to spread to other species, and then independently evolve multicellularity. Those steps might seem to present insurmountable barriers, and yet there’s reason to believe each one could have happened.
Cancer arises from the accumulation of genetic mutations in cells, which gain some reproductive advantage and multiply. Sounds very Darwinian, so why not produce a new species.

There's a famous Blood Test for such cells.  :D

katastrofa

December 12th, 2019, 11:21 am

Thanks for posting this video! This and Escape from New York - masterpieces!

Cuchulainn

December 12th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Where do vampires fit in?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=you86-CKNtI

katastrofa

December 12th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Do you like the taste of blood? It's strange for me. I like the first invigorating metallic notes of ferrum and the little fizz hitting my nostrils, but the bouquet of pigments which come next is too heavy for my subtle taste and makes me nauseated. Still, when I smell good aroma, the temptation to try is irresistible. Just not too much. Blood is like each person's unique perfume.

Cuchulainn

December 12th, 2019, 11:28 pm

Do you like the taste of blood? It's strange for me. I like the first invigorating metallic notes of ferrum and the little fizz hitting my nostrils, but the bouquet of pigments which come next is too heavy for my subtle taste and makes me nauseated. Still, when I smell good aroma, the temptation to try is irresistible. Just not too much. Blood is like each person's unique perfume.
I can take it or leave it.