SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TraderJoe

Best Movies

March 1st, 2007, 10:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeHow would you best describe yourself?a) A particularly violent personb) A wimp who likes violent moviesc) All of the aboved) Need to get out moremaybe he could join you in anger management ?I know.

ppauper

Best Movies

March 2nd, 2007, 2:24 pm

Anyone heard anything good or bad about this film:Quote 300Starts March 9 Action, Adventure, Drama, War Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale. I haven't read the novel, but am familiar with that period of history, so will go and see it if it's a worthy movie (and also provided that it's not a gay movie like the lamentable Alexander was)

migalley

Best Movies

March 2nd, 2007, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperAnyone heard anything good or bad about this film:Quote 300Starts March 9 Action, Adventure, Drama, War Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale. I haven't read the novel, but am familiar with that period of history, so will go and see it if it's a worthy movie (and also provided that it's not a gay movie like the lamentable Alexander was)This is sure to have been a much better version, made when movies were real movies...The 300 Spartans

ppauper

Best Movies

March 2nd, 2007, 2:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyThis is sure to have been a much better version, made when movies were real movies...The 300 Spartansindeed, back then sodomy was not considered de rigueur in a movie.I might see if I can get hold of the 1962 version you suggest.

O

Best Movies

March 2nd, 2007, 8:11 pm

Best movies ever..2 from 1. Takashi Miike's Gozu and Visitor Q. Go see them today.

Dook

Best Movies

March 3rd, 2007, 5:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: Dookin no particular order:trainspottingreservoir dogsle fabuleux destin d'Amelie poulainLola RenntMementoMagnoliaThe gamelock, stock and two smoking barrelsSe7enUnited 93How would you best describe yourself?a) A particularly violent personb) A wimp who likes violent moviesc) All of the aboved) Need to get out morewow, didn't know these were all so extremely violent...magnolia, the game, lola rennt, amélie, none of these is very violent. Yes, reservoir dogs, and se7en are violent, but i happen to like these movies, just like half of the world's population i guess...memento violent? i do not really find it particularly violent... trainspotting is more about drugs than violence.. lock, stock is just a funny movieand united 93 is to me the most impressive and breathtaking (not really good words for it, but for lack of a better word that comes to my mind) thing i have ever seen on screen... yes of course it is violent. it is about 9/11...but to come back to your question, if my movies are indeed as violent as you find them:i am not a violent personi do get out from time to timeso i guess i am a wimp who likes violent movies then....but then again, IF my movies are too violent for you does your top ten maybe include the following classics???Sissi, empress of AustriaSound of musicMary PoppinsBambi (even though Bambi's mother dies, so it could be too violent for you also.. )Spongebob squarepants the movieAladinSnowwhite (also pretty violent)

ppauper

Best Movies

March 4th, 2007, 5:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DookSpongebob squarepants the movieit was good until the hasslehof made an appearanceQuoteWho lives in a pineapple under the sea ?

ppauper

Best Movies

March 4th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Manufacturing Dissent

migalley

Best Movies

March 13th, 2007, 11:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperAnyone heard anything good or bad about this film:Quote 300Starts March 9 Action, Adventure, Drama, War Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale. I haven't read the novel, but am familiar with that period of history, so will go and see it if it's a worthy movie (and also provided that it's not a gay movie like the lamentable Alexander was)I don't know if it will be an OK movie, but it seems to have pissed off the ayatollahs, so it can't be all that bad...Iran condemns Hollywood war epic

zeta

Best Movies

March 14th, 2007, 12:32 am

I liked the trio a) babel b)children of men c)pan's labyrinthall a little rough but filled with hope of some sort and a nice take on a)an americo centric world b)xenophobia and sanctity of life c)fascism

ppauper

Best Movies

March 14th, 2007, 12:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyI don't know if it will be an OK movie, but it seems to have pissed off the ayatollahs, so it can't be all that bad...Iran condemns Hollywood war epicI guess they don't like being reminded that 300 spartans kicked the ass of several hundred thousand (perhaps millions) persians

Collector

Best Movies

April 19th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Math in Movies Previews Negotiating price on Derivatives?
Last edited by Collector on April 18th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron

Best Movies

April 23rd, 2007, 10:51 pm

QuoteI guess they don't like being reminded that 300 spartans kicked the ass of several hundred thousand (perhaps millions) persiansThat's not quite what happened. It took the big army longer than expected to kill the little army. As a result of that delay and some natural disasters and a naval defeat and a Greek defense energized by the Spartans beating the point spread, the big army lost the war. But it wasn't Persians against Greeks, there were more Greeks fighting on the Persian side than either Greeks on the Greek side or Persians on the Persian side. And the Persian side contained soldiers of many nations, none of whom can be reliably traced as ancestors to anyone living today.What's kinda sad is that 2,500 years isn't enough to say, "let's just enjoy the gore, who cares who they were or what the fight was about."

Hamilton

Best Movies

April 24th, 2007, 3:08 am

What Aaron is trying to say is that the Persian Empire had a population of 20 Million people, the Greek speaking peoples of the Peloponnesian Islands, 2 million people.And that those trying to understand what happened would be well advised to buy the Landmark Herodotus when it comes out in November 2007 and read the work of Barry Strauss on the Battle of Salamis. When you're done that you can move on to the Landmark Thucydides, Donald Kagan's The Peloponnesian War (1 volume) and Victor Davis Hanson's A War Like No Other.Finish off with Camus' The Plague.And have a simply super day.

Hamilton

Best Movies

April 24th, 2007, 3:12 am

Speak of the Devil - Barry Strauss on Thermopylae from Military History Quarterly Free 18 page Adobe Acrobat document
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On