SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: starbucks

September 26th, 2017, 9:41 am

ppauper wrote:
bug parts in danone yogurt also

That's not a bug, it's a feature. Is it documented?

ppauper
Topic Author

September 26th, 2017, 9:57 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:

it's documented on the side of the pot, cochineal or carmine, or in Europe E124

Cuchulainn

September 26th, 2017, 10:07 am

ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I was half serious. I once mentioned a yuge error I discovered on a DEC network to their sales guys. He did not agree but he said it was very sloppy that the feature was not documented:
Feature was: when you backup user directories on a disk, the access control lists are not restored at the top disk level, So when you restore the data the ACL data is gone, no one can access nothing => very unhappy users.

Traden4Alpha

September 26th, 2017, 12:22 pm

ppauper wrote:
LOL! So cooked food causes cancer and raw/undercoooked food causes food borne illness.

Perhaps we need warning labels that say "Government causes hysteria."

Traden4Alpha

September 26th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

I was half serious. I once mentioned a yuge error I discovered on a DEC network to their sales guys. He did not agree but he said it was very sloppy that the feature was not documented:
Feature was: when you backup user directories on a disk, the access control lists are not restored at the top disk level, So when you restore the data the ACL data is gone, no one can access nothing => very unhappy users.

I once had a DEC computer skip a loop on a FORTRAN nested DO loop. It was supposed to do 100 iterations each time and print interim results but it the middle of a run, it only did 99 for one of the 100-step segments.

Cuchulainn

September 26th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I once had a loop in DCL OS language to _move_ ACLS and user directories, do 1 to N . Of course, DCL uses octal, so when N =8 it wraps back to 0,. That was fun.

As Bono would say All That You Can't Leave Behind.

ppauper
Topic Author

May 12th, 2018, 6:32 am

Starbucks Becomes America's Largest Public Restroom
I've never felt the need to use the restroom in a starbucks, but the article says you need to borrow a key from the baristas to so do?

Cuchulainn

May 12th, 2018, 9:02 am

Yikes. Sounds very unhygienic. 
BTW I have only been ONCE in SB to date. Am I missing something?

In HOLLAND you get the key from the toiletdame! And pay 50 cents!

ppauper
Topic Author

May 12th, 2018, 9:25 am

I like the coffee, but other coffee is nice also
In my misspent youth, whenever I was somewhere like Chicago for the day, I would wander round downtown and there would be an sbux every block, all of whom seemed to have a different drip of the day, so I'd have a guatamalan coffee at one, an Ethiopian at the next, and so on

Cuchulainn

May 14th, 2018, 10:52 am

The maths of coffee brewing

Good coffee is all about a balance of flavours. Stopping extraction too soon means a sour and underdeveloped coffee, while extracting too long leaves a bitter cup of coffee. The Speciality Coffee Association recommends extracting between 18 to 22 percent of the mass of the coffee grains (the extraction yield) to achieve the best balance of flavours.

The time taken to do this depends critically on the size of the ground coffee. The finer coffee is ground, the more surface area is available for coffee to extract and the slower the water will flow over the grains. If your coffee is too bitter, you should either reduce the brewing time or grind coarser to extract less bitter compounds. For underdeveloped coffee flavours, do the opposite. This might be seen as basic logic, but by writing down equations which describe these effects, we can effectively demonstrate how different grind sizes influence the extraction yield.

https://sinews.siam.org/Details-Page/th ... ideal-brew

ppauper
Topic Author

May 14th, 2018, 11:14 am

do those equations have anything to do with the article? I couldn't spot them in your link

Cuchulainn

May 14th, 2018, 11:34 am

ppauper wrote:
do those equations have anything to do with the article? I couldn't spot them in your link

I got them from here. I suppose the full article is in SIAM publication.
https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2018 ... of-coffee/
The block/flow diagram is nice. Funny that you don't see them so much in the software psyche.

Collector

May 15th, 2018, 9:02 pm

A California judge has ruled that businesses like Starbucks that sell coffee in the state need to warn consumers that the drink poses a cancer risk because it contains the chemical acrylamide.

"Coffee companies like Starbucks were fighting back against the tentative ruling, but, on May 7, a Los Angeles judge made the ruling final." 

Cancer warnings to be served up with coffee in California

coffee shops the last legal low-taxed drug cartels? must be stopped?, will we look at coffee in 50 years as we do on cigarets today? Should each cup be marked with Risk?

Collector

May 15th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
The maths of coffee brewing

Good coffee is all about a balance of flavours. Stopping extraction too soon means a sour and underdeveloped coffee, while extracting too long leaves a bitter cup of coffee. The Speciality Coffee Association recommends extracting between 18 to 22 percent of the mass of the coffee grains (the extraction yield) to achieve the best balance of flavours.

The time taken to do this depends critically on the size of the ground coffee. The finer coffee is ground, the more surface area is available for coffee to extract and the slower the water will flow over the grains. If your coffee is too bitter, you should either reduce the brewing time or grind coarser to extract less bitter compounds. For underdeveloped coffee flavours, do the opposite. This might be seen as basic logic, but by writing down equations which describe these effects, we can effectively demonstrate how different grind sizes influence the extraction yield.

https://sinews.siam.org/Details-Page/th ... ideal-brew

what is \(\psi\) ? waves? wave equation of some sort, or just partial hand waving ?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...