Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper
Topic Author

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 4:04 pm

the color doesn't bother me, I'd rather it had the real ingredients and was too pale rather than be colored with the bugs.Not a fan of buggery , in food or anything else

daveangel

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Quote Not a fan of buggery , in food or anything else you don't like a little bit of chocolate starfish ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Cuchulainn

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 4:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI'm fine with strawberry frappucinos being made with strawberries.The problem is that consumers have been trained to expect pinker-than-pink colours for their strawberry-flavoured concoctions. Any beverage made with a normal amount of strawberries would be too pale because most of the bulk of a strawberry is white and the bulk of the beverage (the milk) is white, too.With a dab of E numbers, what?

ppauper
Topic Author

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 5:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI'm fine with strawberry frappucinos being made with strawberries.The problem is that consumers have been trained to expect pinker-than-pink colours for their strawberry-flavoured concoctions. Any beverage made with a normal amount of strawberries would be too pale because most of the bulk of a strawberry is white and the bulk of the beverage (the milk) is white, too.With a dab of E numbers, what?that's the problem, those bugs have one of your e-numbers (E120 Cochineal ?)

quantmeh

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 5:12 pm

i didn't know they were feeding me bugs, assholes

Fermion

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Cochineal is a natural organic extract that has been used by confectioners for centuries to make cakes look pretty. It's at the bottom of my list for additives to be worried about. Lycopene is also a naturally occurring extract from tomatoes that is sold as a supplement in its own right for its (supposed) anti--oxidant properties. So that too is at the bottom of my list. But obviously they need to declare it. Neither would I mind if they used red grape skins. There is a legion of natural organic red colors available. But I would not visit Starbucks anyway if there is an alternative available. When I was working in San Francisco there were 3 Starbucks in a 100 yd radius of where I worked. There was also a local "mom-and-pop" coffee chop that sold perfectly good expresso/latte/cappucino/mocha for half the price. Guess (1) where most people went and (2) where I went.

quantmeh

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 5:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionGuess (1) where most people went and (2) where I went.did mom-pop shop give its employees health benefits?

Fermion

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 6:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: FermionGuess (1) where most people went and (2) where I went.did mom-pop shop give its employees health benefits?They were the employees.As regards Starbucks, many (most?) employees are part-time and not entitled to health benefits and those that are have to pay a premium (out of poverty level wages) to get it. And if you want to have a discussion about the stupidity of making health care an employer responsibility in a capitalist environment, start another thread.
Last edited by Fermion on April 24th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Overall, I agree with Fermion on the ranking of food colourants, employer-based health insurance, and coffee vendors (although I do like Starbuck's pumpkin scones). Of course, who knows if cochineal is safe or not. Just because it's natural and was widely used doesn't mean it doesn't eventually kill 1-in-N people who consume it. Up until recently, even the most advanced economies didn't have the routine data tracking and scientific tools to detect chemicals that killed over time. Cochineal is made by the bug to deter predators so it undoubtedly has some unpleasant effect on what ever eats too many of these bugs. The double good news is that bugs make large quantities of it so it can't be extremely toxic and the high colour density of the substance means little is needed to make a strawberry frappucino. The bad news is that it's an anthraquinone-based chemical which makes it related to a pesticide listed on California Environmental Protection Agency's carcinogen list.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on April 24th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTrain

starbucks

April 25th, 2012, 8:18 pm

I think I prefer sterilized bug parts to god-knows-what from the local gypsies. Think how many died before the invention of modern preservatives, coatings, etc..

ppauper
Topic Author

starbucks

November 3rd, 2012, 9:56 am

why do I never see this in starbucks ?

ppauper
Topic Author

starbucks

November 29th, 2012, 10:33 am

anyone try this yet ?Starbucks? new $7 ?Geisha? coffee is its priciest everQuoteThe Costa Rica Finca Palmilera coffee costs $40 for a half- pound bag and $6 for a 12-ounce ?tall? cup, Lisa Passe, a Starbucks spokeswoman, said in an e-mail. It?s made from a rare, difficult-to-grow varietal called Geisha. The new coffee is available at only 46 locations in the U.S. Northwest with expensive Clover brewing machines.

ppauper
Topic Author

starbucks

February 20th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Quadriginoctuple Frap

tags

starbucks

February 20th, 2013, 7:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuadriginoctuple FrapAH! LOL