Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

TraderJoe
Topic Author

Olympics

August 17th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Gold medals thus far:1. China...................352. USA......................193. Great Britain.........11Wow!

farmer

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 9:33 am

People must be really bored if they care that Michael Phelps can swim faster than those other fellas. Maybe they need to spend their time replacing all the lightbulbs in their homes with twisty ones or something.

rmax

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 9:42 am

NZD.......................2

Panoramix

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 10:10 am

Top ten so far: 1)China............... 362)US....................193)GB....................124)Australia..........115)Germany..........96)South Korea.....87)Japan...............88)Russia..............79)Italy.................610)Ukrain............5
Last edited by Panoramix on August 17th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe
Topic Author

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 11:33 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNZD.......................2You're embarrassing.

rmax

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 12:24 pm

ppauper

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 12:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNZD.......................2You're embarrassing.so what did they win, the man-rape and burglary contests ?

TraderJoe
Topic Author

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 3:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNZD.......................2You're embarrassing.so what did they win, the man-rape and burglary contests ?only if you were the target .

fars1d3s

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Why is Modern Pentathlon not a well-publicized event, as measured by TV airtime and commentaries in the media and the press ?It comprised the contemporary sports of pistol shooting, fencing, swimming, horse riding and running, and embraced the spirit of its ancient counterpart. It was De Coubertin's belief that it would be this event, above all others, that "tested a man's moral qualities as much as his physical resources and skills, producing thereby the ideal, complete athlete." This new sport was enthusiastically adopted with its inherent demands of courage, co-ordination, physical fitness, self-discipline and flexibility in ever changing circumstances. Therefore, don't you think that the winner of this event should be the most-respected ... as opposed to "the fastest man" for example ?

farmer

Olympics

August 18th, 2008, 6:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: fars1d3sWhy is Modern Pentathlon not a well-publicized event, as measured by TV airtime and commentaries in the media and the press ?... don't you think that the winner of this event should be the most-respected ... as opposed to "the fastest man" for example ?The obvious answer is that pistol shooting doesn't make good TV. But I think the real answer is suggested in your post:QuoteIt was De Coubertin's belief that it would be this event, above all others, that "tested a man's moral qualities as much as his physical resources and skills, producing thereby the ideal, complete athlete."I agree that the pentathlon is not a test of skill in any one of the events. Rather, it is a test of whether a man can be good at multiple things. Is "the most multiple man" (or "the most moral" man) as exciting as "the fastest" man? Definitely not. For the multiple man may be good at nothing, and therefore useless.When I go to the hardware store, do I look for a screwdriver which I can also drink beer out of? It seems that this axis of "completeness" is rather arbitrary and contrived. They might just as soon enter the man into a beauty contest, or see which of the men's skin tone most closely matches a wooden floor, or see who fits inside a 4x4x4 box the best.But then there would still be people who could fit inside the box better than any of the multiple men.Certainly the "fastest blue-eyed man" or the "fastest man in Spain" is less exciting than the world's fastest man. Same thing if you want the world's "fastest man who can shoot." There are so infinitely many combinations, each of which would produce a different winner. Who is to say which combination is the important one? Running is obviously a top athletic contest, the winner of which is a top athlete.

exneratunrisk

Olympics

August 19th, 2008, 8:51 am

It is like in business.Some are capable of being number one in many market segments with more or less diversified products (decathlon)Some look for market and product niches where it is easy to become nr one (dressage)I implicitly weight medals with nr. of global watchers/participants/competitors.(I do not even listen to automatic-pistol .... winner is)

Panoramix

Olympics

August 20th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Top ten so far: 1)China............... 452)US....................263)GB....................164)Russia..............135)Australia..........116)Gerrmany........117)South Korea.....88)Japan...............89)Italy.................610)Ukrain............5

migalley

Olympics

August 20th, 2008, 1:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNZD.......................2You're embarrassing.so what did they win, the man-rape and burglary contests ?I believe they got a gold in the sheep abuse contest where they were the only competitors.

migalley

Olympics

August 20th, 2008, 1:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerThe obvious answer is that pistol shooting doesn't make good TV.It does if the target is a suicide bomber.

ppauper

Olympics

August 20th, 2008, 1:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNZD.......................2You're embarrassing.so what did they win, the man-rape and burglary contests ?I believe they got a gold in the sheep abuse contest where they were the only competitors.and thesynchronized hit-and-run contest is still to come