Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Higgs boson - Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

December 20th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Making an announcement here and we'll see how winter-spring go.I found out recently that ICBI Global Derivatives is moving eastward to Budapest in May and if I go, I will probably pass through Geneva on my way. It is possible to arrange group visits to CERN and here is an entertaining quote: "Please note that it is not possible to visit the underground experiments."Famous last words. One small diversion and off we go to have a look for ourselves!ICBI GD runs from May 9-13, so I'd be looking at mid to late-May for CERN myself. Nice opportunity for a mobile Random Walkers.If we have enough participants, we could have a particle poetry "slam" on site or in a cafe nearby. (Well, just a gentle philosophical slam to offset the cataclysmic physical ones taking place inside the Collider!) If there is interest, in theory, I will provide an update here or on my blog in a few months.
Last edited by trackstar on December 19th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

December 25th, 2015, 5:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxPotential new Particle. 1:93 chance it is a fluke.New Particle?I'm sure string theory can make this true somehow.

katastrofa

December 28th, 2015, 9:23 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarMaking an announcement here and we'll see how winter-spring go.I found out recently that ICBI Global Derivatives is moving eastward to Budapest in May and if I go, I will probably pass through Geneva on my way. It is possible to arrange group visits to CERN and here is an entertaining quote: "Please note that it is not possible to visit the underground experiments."Famous last words. One small diversion and off we go to have a look for ourselves!ICBI GD runs from May 9-13, so I'd be looking at mid to late-May for CERN myself. Nice opportunity for a mobile Random Walkers.If we have enough participants, we could have a particle poetry "slam" on site or in a cafe nearby. (Well, just a gentle philosophical slam to offset the cataclysmic physical ones taking place inside the Collider!) If there is interest, in theory, I will provide an update here or on my blog in a few months.I know people in CERN who would put the physics deniers from this forum in front of the electron beam :-)I've found a topical picture from my physics times -- fat, happy, and (just like every true physicist) with impeccable taste in fashion:
Last edited by katastrofa on December 28th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

December 28th, 2015, 1:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI know people in CERN who would put the physics deniers from this forum in front of the electron beam :-)I've found a topical picture from my physics times -- fat, happy, and (just like every true physicist) with impeccable taste in fashion:Great picture! I should know by March-early April if I will be going in May.When I was in high school, two of my friends were Catholic and their mothers made them go to Mass every week.Sometimes I went with them; I liked the stained glass artwork, the litany, and incense, especially around the holidays.It did not seem appropriate to assimilate further than that without being serious about it, so I never took communion, but it wasnt going to hurt the church for me to sit in the back and listen.So this is how I tend to approach diverse belief systems. Keep an open mind, read their sacred texts, and have a look at their cathedrals when there is an opportunity to visit.

katastrofa

December 28th, 2015, 3:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI know people in CERN who would put the physics deniers from this forum in front of the electron beam :-)I've found a topical picture from my physics times -- fat, happy, and (just like every true physicist) with impeccable taste in fashion:Great picture! I should know by March-early April if I will be going in May.When I was in high school, two of my friends were Catholic and their mothers made them go to Mass every week.Sometimes I went with them; I liked the stained glass artwork, the litany, and incense, especially around the holidays.It did not seem appropriate to assimilate further than that without being serious about it, so I never took communion, but it wasnt going to hurt the church for me to sit in the back and listen.So this is how I tend to approach diverse belief systems. Keep an open mind, read their sacred texts, and have a look at their cathedrals when there is an opportunity to visit.Before one contests some axioms or dogmas they should acquire their basic understanding... BTW, I think that religion is intrinsically evil.
Last edited by katastrofa on December 27th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

December 28th, 2015, 3:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaBefore one contests some axioms or dogmas they should acquire their basic understanding... BTW, I think that religion is intrinsically evil.Since I have always been interested in outliers and things that go against the norms, I make room for ideas that may not have been built from the basic foundations of a particular belief system, but come from inspired or expert sources from other fields. I wouldn't bet my house on any theories about the universe, whether they came from CERN, Caltech, or someone's private laboratory.On the nature of good and evil in religion - plenty of threads on the Middle East already and lots of damage done by Christians through the centuries too.But after watching numerous widows in their 70s attending Mass and taking communion in my high school days, I can understand how comforting it could be to believe in God and an afterlife and that your loved ones have gone to a better place.I enjoy solitude and do not consider myself to be a "lonely" person. But if you spend time with the elderly, you will see what it really is to be all alone, without having the vast array of distractions and activities that someone in their younger years may have to shape it into something else.If I wind up in a nursing home in the distant future, I may come to fully believe in God, or the Goddess, or Higgs Boson, or Atomism myself. For now, I stay humble (and hungry). ;)
Last edited by trackstar on December 27th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

December 29th, 2015, 6:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaBefore one contests some axioms or dogmas they should acquire their basic understanding... BTW, I think that religion is intrinsically evil.Since I have always been interested in outliers and things that go against the norms, I make room for ideas that may not have been built from the basic foundations of a particular belief system, but come from inspired or expert sources from other fields.So do I (after all, that's something I do for living, as they say). I only despise ignorance and intellectual posturing.

trackstar

December 29th, 2015, 8:12 am

Etched in my mind from reading long ago:"What do you despise? By this you are truly known."- Frank Herbert, Dune
Last edited by trackstar on December 28th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

December 29th, 2015, 9:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarEtched in my mind from reading long ago:"What do you despise? By this you are truly known."- Frank Herbert, DuneThat's a nice quote, but it may convey two different things depending on whether your mind has been etched by the book or by wikiquotes. Either way, I'll take it for a compliment ;-)

trackstar

December 29th, 2015, 10:51 am

I read Dune a few times years before the Internet as you know it came into being.
Last edited by trackstar on December 28th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

December 29th, 2015, 1:14 pm

The notion of a heaven may be a harmless comfort to widows and the elderly, but that's not the only consequence of the belief.The beleif in a heaven-or-hell style of afterlife increases the willingness to kill and "let a god sort it out" as well as the willingness to die for the cause (e.g., die for your god).

trackstar

December 29th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Back to CERN!Some tools and big masses of data.CERN Open Data PortalandThe Worldwide LHC Computing GridPosts do not imply unqualified endorsement of the fundamental belief systems underlying the project.This is a nucleus war-free zone.

Cuchulainn

December 29th, 2015, 3:08 pm

You have something with CERN.

trackstar

December 29th, 2015, 3:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnYou have something with CERN.I have "something" with cosmology and am very interested in large and small scale efforts to determine the nature of things.Higgs boson - Large Hadron Collider is one of my favorite threads of all time and I still remember the day it was launched. I had only been here for one week (inception date August 28, 2008) and was not sure if or why I should be turning to an online forum for anything at all. Quick, pull the plug?!Then this arose through the babble:Mon Sep 08, 08 01:54 AM QuoteOriginally posted by: ManWhen the particles are actually collided, will the Higgs boson be observed?LHCAnd that made me feel like I was in the right place - there would be interesting conversations here and it would not all be in vain.LOL.

Traden4Alpha

December 30th, 2015, 12:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnYou have something with CERN.Yes, trackstar has disCERNment, what?