Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Higgs boson - Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

December 30th, 2015, 12:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnYou have something with CERN.Yes, trackstar has disCERNment, what?Haha! Yes, I am always looking for the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.They can be pretty hard to find! :DSo you could also say that I am [CERN (con (ed), with)] = conCERNed with CERN.

Traden4Alpha

December 30th, 2015, 12:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnYou have something with CERN.Yes, trackstar has disCERNment, what?Haha! Yes, I am always looking for the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.They can be pretty hard to find! :DSo you could also say that I am [CERN (con (ed), with)] = conCERNed with CERN.Is that your version of the Heisenberg UnCERNtainty Principle?

trackstar

December 30th, 2015, 1:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIs that your version of the Heisenberg UnCERNtainty Principle?It could be - I am having a little trouble conCERNtrating this evening.Perhaps it is the weather - there is an ice-encrusted wintery mix and the plows are making sonic booms crashing through it all over the neighborhood!
Last edited by trackstar on December 29th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

December 30th, 2015, 1:16 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIs that your version of the Heisenberg UnCERNtainty Principle?It could be - I am having a little trouble conCERNtrating this evening.Perhaps it is the weather - there is an ice-encrusted wintery mix and the plows are making sonic booms crashing through it all over the neighborhood!Perhaps a nice inCERNdiary bonfire would banish these cryogenic crystals and auditory agressors.

trackstar

December 30th, 2015, 1:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaPerhaps a nice inCERNdiary bonfire would banish these cryogenic crystals and auditory agressors.I have decided to read Plato's CERNposium and plan my new blog for 2016.(When I retreat to the back of the house, I can't hear those "auditory aggressors" any more. :D)Saving the bonfire for Thursday night!
Last edited by trackstar on December 29th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

December 30th, 2015, 1:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaPerhaps a nice inCERNdiary bonfire would banish these cryogenic crystals and auditory agressors.I have decided to read Plato's CERNposium and plan my new blog for 2016.(When I retreat to the back of the house, I can't hear those "auditory aggressors" any more. :D)Saving the bonfire for Thursday night!Or perhaps a little "Medium of ContingenCERNcy"?
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on December 29th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

January 6th, 2016, 1:57 am

Some Enchanted EveningSome enchanted eveningYou may find Higgs Boson,You may find Higgs BosonIn the Collider roomAnd somehow you know,You know even thenThat somewhere you'll see itAgain and again.Some enchanted eveningThere may be strange attractionYou feel a strange attractionAcross a crowded roomAnd night after night,As strange as it seemsThe pull of attractionWarps time in your dreams.Who can explain it?Who can tell you why?Fools give you reasons,Wise men never try.Some enchanted eveningWhen you find the answersWhen you feel them call youAcross a crowded room,Then grasp their insightsAnd make them your ownOr all through your life, youMight search all alone.Once you have found them,Never let them go.Once you have found them,Never let them go!Some Enchanted Evening - Placido Domingo
Last edited by trackstar on January 5th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

March 25th, 2016, 3:06 pm

The next big LHC upgrade? Software.

trackstar

April 29th, 2016, 6:06 pm

How now! a rat? - Something is rotten in the state of Switzerland
Last edited by trackstar on April 28th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

April 29th, 2016, 6:49 pm

It is well-known Swisses have rodents problems! :D;)

Alan

April 29th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Could have been a rat. Or, maybe somebody got stuck on the collider ...

trackstar

April 29th, 2016, 10:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanCould have been a rat. Or, maybe somebody got stuck on the collider ...Haha! Scary. They mentioned a small weasel-like creature and I think that might mean a stoat. We do not have those here (that I know of), but they are quite common in Europe. They are fierce and can take down prey many times their size, including rabbits. Kind of :(, but pretty impressive. They can also swim, which you would not really guess from the look of them.I once used an image of a stoat at the end of a presentation on HFT - the race goes to the quickest!
Last edited by trackstar on April 29th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

April 30th, 2016, 11:18 am

Members of the weasel family are pretty smart and adaptable.We saw minks living in the wild in northern Iceland. Mind you, they were not supposed to be there. Minks were imported to Iceland to be farmed and the belief was that if any escaped, they would die during the harsh winters. Needless to say, the minks had other plans.Perhaps that conCERNed weasel was trying to save humanity from the creation of a microblackhole that would devour the earth.

Cuchulainn

April 30th, 2016, 11:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaMembers of the weasel family are pretty smart and adaptable.We saw minks living in the wild in northern Iceland. Mind you, they were not supposed to be there. Minks were imported to Iceland to be farmed and the belief was that if any escaped, they would die during the harsh winters. Needless to say, the minks had other plans.Perhaps that conCERNed weasel was trying to save humanity from the creation of a microblackhole that would devour the earth.Was that before they banned hair dryers in swimming pools?We saw minsk in 5th Avenue last year.

Traden4Alpha

April 30th, 2016, 11:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaMembers of the weasel family are pretty smart and adaptable.We saw minks living in the wild in northern Iceland. Mind you, they were not supposed to be there. Minks were imported to Iceland to be farmed and the belief was that if any escaped, they would die during the harsh winters. Needless to say, the minks had other plans.Perhaps that conCERNed weasel was trying to save humanity from the creation of a microblackhole that would devour the earth.Was that before they banned hair dryers in swimming pools?We saw minsk in 5th Avenue last year.It was before the ban... Who knows what those mink are doing now that there's damp Icelandic men wandering about.Have they banned particle accelerators in swimming pools, too?