SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Higgs boson - Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

September 9th, 2008, 4:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunNobody will ever prove them wrong, will they? From a logical point of view, the only observable outcome will be that nothing happened.Exactly! If an LHC produces a blackhole on a planet and no one is left to publish the paper, does it advance our understanding of the universe?

Alan

September 9th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Well, I was expecting somebody to say we had, say 1000 years before the really bad earthquakes started.Given a few years, I suspect 100 people would make it to the moon.Given a 100 years, I would bet millions would make it to Mars.Now, assuming some survival time, what's the best way to create a signal to other civilizations that says: "Don't do this at home!",and, by the way, "Please come pick us up!"?
Last edited by Alan on September 8th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

September 9th, 2008, 6:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanNow, assuming some survival time, what's the best way to create a warning to other civilizations that says: "Don't do this at home!"? or, even better, "Please come pick us up!"<<UNIVERSE*>>*DANGER: No user serviceable parts inside.

Cuchulainn

September 10th, 2008, 8:37 am

Should be a 'plus'

Cuchulainn

September 10th, 2008, 9:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnShould be a 'plus'you can see than Einstein is trying to look away, not wanting to help those quant guys spot their mistake. Kamerlingh Onnes (the one sitting down in the middle) is watching him with suspicion. He knows Einstein is up to something...yes, you can't fool him

Alan

September 10th, 2008, 6:44 pm

More related to TJ's post:The Safety of the LHC So, is this what the argument boils down to: (0) we can stop worrying about charged microscopic holes because the earth is still here after millions of 14 TEV+ cosmic rays (I do buy this one). (i) this leaves only uncharged microscopic holes to even worry about (ok)(ii) but, we can dismiss those because we have never seen a neutron star eaten by such a hole, (are we sure?)(iii) yet, we would have seen that, (given their cosmic ray cross-section?). (well ...)ok, who is completely reassured by this??? 2009 news bulletin QuoteFirst neutron star discovered now believed largely eaten by cosmic ray-produced micro Black-Hole!Cern scientists re-assess! As Gell-Mann said QuoteEverything not forbidden is compulsory
Last edited by Alan on September 9th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 11th, 2008, 11:41 am

There's a lot of marketing going on. Last night's BBC's newsnight gave the feeling that this stuff is curiosity-driven. And it's bad for the environment (14 million quid a year for electricity).Have physicists run out of ideas? After the collapse of string, what's new?For the person in the street, I wonder if it is something that keeps them awake at night...

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 12:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunA indian girl committed suicide yesterday out of fear for lhc black holes...Source ? Did you see it in a dream?

Traden4Alpha

September 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanMore related to TJ's post:The Safety of the LHC So, is this what the argument boils down to: (0) we can stop worrying about charged microscopic holes because the earth is still here after millions of 14 TEV+ cosmic rays (I do buy this one). (i) this leaves only uncharged microscopic holes to even worry about (ok)(ii) but, we can dismiss those because we have never seen a neutron star eaten by such a hole, (are we sure?)(iii) yet, we would have seen that, (given their cosmic ray cross-section?). (well ...)ok, who is completely reassured by this???The part that bothers me is the velocity differences between cosmic ray events versus LHC events -- that is, asymmetric collisions versus symmetric collisions. Are we so sure that microscopic blackholes evaporate as quickly as expected? Are we so sure that we understand how other interactions (quintessence, dark matter, dark energy, etc.) might interact with an in-Earth, slow-moving microscopic blackhole?The core of the safety statement is that LHC events == cosmic ray events, but they don't seem as equivalent as one might like.

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 1:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: AlanMore related to TJ's post:The Safety of the LHC So, is this what the argument boils down to: (0) we can stop worrying about charged microscopic holes because the earth is still here after millions of 14 TEV+ cosmic rays (I do buy this one). (i) this leaves only uncharged microscopic holes to even worry about (ok)(ii) but, we can dismiss those because we have never seen a neutron star eaten by such a hole, (are we sure?)(iii) yet, we would have seen that, (given their cosmic ray cross-section?). (well ...)ok, who is completely reassured by this???The part that bothers me is the velocity differences between cosmic ray events versus LHC events -- that is, asymmetric collisions versus symmetric collisions. Are we so sure that microscopic blackholes evaporate as quickly as expected? Are we so sure that we understand how other interactions (quintessence, dark matter, dark energy, etc.) might interact with an in-Earth, slow-moving microscopic blackhole?The core of the safety statement is that LHC events == cosmic ray events, but they don't seem as equivalent as one might like.Have you ever studied physics?

ppauper

September 11th, 2008, 1:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHave physicists run out of ideas? they just keep running the same experiments on bigger and bigger (and more expensive machines)

ppauper

September 11th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Peter Higgs attacks Stephen Hawking
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On