SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Higgs boson - Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

September 11th, 2008, 1:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunA indian girl committed suicide yesterday out of fear for lhc black holes...Source ? Did you see it in a dream?here

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 1:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunA indian girl committed suicide yesterday out of fear for lhc black holes...Source ? Did you see it in a dream?herewow, and we outsource to these people??

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 1:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHave physicists run out of ideas? they just keep running the same experiments on bigger and bigger (and more expensive machines)$10billion over twenty years or so is chicken feed compared to the $trillion a year war in Iraq. Yeah, I know. let's spend more money on war and getting people to hate us. Good move.

ppauper

September 11th, 2008, 1:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe$10billion over twenty years or so is chicken feedok, then you can pay it instead of us

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 2:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe$10billion over twenty years or so is chicken feedok, then you can pay it instead of usThe cost of the LHC was split over many countries so the cost for you and me was about $1 each.

Kaas

September 11th, 2008, 3:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe$10billion over twenty years or so is chicken feedok, then you can pay it instead of usThe cost of the LHC was split over many countries so the cost for you and me was about $1 each.if the cost is 10b$ and there are 6-7b people on earth, how can the cost be 1$? not every nation will pay, and maybe only adults who pay tax will donate. will not the cost be more than 1$.

Alan

September 11th, 2008, 3:38 pm

The safety argument is better made here.And the worst case accretion times (for the neutral holes to eat the earth) are reported as thousands of years.Quote As long as pulsars keeping chirping, the earth is not in danger Party on!
Last edited by Alan on September 10th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermion

September 11th, 2008, 3:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe$10billion over twenty years or so is chicken feedok, then you can pay it instead of usAre you trying to parody Stephen Colbert doing a parody of you again? Or is this just a round-a-bout way of saying you are going to pay for the Iraq war?

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 3:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KaasQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe$10billion over twenty years or so is chicken feedok, then you can pay it instead of usThe cost of the LHC was split over many countries so the cost for you and me was about $1 each.if the cost is 10b$ and there are 6-7b people on earth, how can the cost be 1$? not every nation will pay, and maybe only adults who pay tax will donate. will not the cost be more than 1$.Sorry, I meant $1 each per year over twenty years. Here's how I calculated it (order of magnitude): Only Western industrialised nations pay, so approx 1billion people, out of which only 1/2 are tax payers, excludes the young and the elderly. So we have have about 500 million people paying for a $10billion scientific instrument over 20 years --> $1 each person per year. Sorry for the confusion.Cheers, Edit: Oh, and I didn't include the discount factor for the time value of money etc etc.
Last edited by TraderJoe on September 10th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 3:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanThe safety argument is better made here.And the worst case accretion times (for the neutral holes to eat the earth) are reported as thousands of years.Quote As long as pulsars keeping chirping, the earth is not in danger Party on!Excellent!

Cuchulainn

September 11th, 2008, 7:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHave physicists run out of ideas? they just keep running the same experiments on bigger and bigger (and more expensive machines)The young CERN professor who was interviewed on Newsnight claimed that the results of the research could be used to cancer research and other areas that concern Humanity. Of course, this is a load of cobblers.This is not a way to justify your spending. //Correct me if I am wrong, but Madame Curie and Roentgen made great contributions to medicine, and after that I am blank.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 10th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 10:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHave physicists run out of ideas? they just keep running the same experiments on bigger and bigger (and more expensive machines)The young CERN professor who was interviewed on Newsnight claimed that the results of the research could be used to cancer research and other areas that concern Humanity. Of course, this is a load of cobblers.This is not a way to justify your spending. //Correct me if I am wrong, but Madame Curie and Roentgen made great contributions to medicine, and after that I am blank.Do you wanna know how the universe works, or don't you care ?Well, I care, and I'm willing to pay a dollar a year for a few years to find out!Edit 1: Remember the SSC?PS - Why are you against basic research?Party pooper .Edit 2: Anyway, it's too late now. It's been built and switched on baby .
Last edited by TraderJoe on September 11th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

September 11th, 2008, 11:15 pm

QuoteCuchulainn: Have physicists run out of ideas?Have you read Witten?

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2008, 5:34 am

Hawking sceptical Dubbed the "God particle" because it is so crucial to our understanding of the Universe, it is thought to give everything its mass.And what about just before the Big Bang?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 11th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2008, 6:03 am

Interesting to see who is sponsoring this project. As a guess, I reckon the medium-term products will be be on the engineering infrastructure??Sponsors
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 11th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On