SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

What is the left's obsession with dinosaurs? :)

September 16th, 2008, 11:10 am

Why do people on the left take specifically dinosaur fossils, but not rocks or any other objects, to be evidence refuting the existence of God?"Je pense donc je suis" I understand. "Dinosaurs" as the syllogism underlying all human experience seems (not surprisingly) childish.I guess "dinosaurs" is just the sort of thing people are apt to come up with, when they choose to pass up the inherited knowledge of 200 generations, and instead strike out on their own starting with nothing...

hungryquant

September 16th, 2008, 11:33 am

????? what on earth are you blabbering about man ?

ppauper

September 16th, 2008, 12:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerWhy do people on the left take specifically dinosaur fossils, but not rocks or any other objects, to be evidence refuting the existence of God?.perhaps that explains their reluctance to burn fossil fuels ?

gardener3

September 16th, 2008, 6:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerWhy do people on the left take specifically dinosaur fossils, but not rocks or any other objects, to be evidence refuting the existence of God?"Je pense donc je suis" I understand. "Dinosaurs" as the syllogism underlying all human experience seems (not surprisingly) childish.I guess "dinosaurs" is just the sort of thing people are apt to come up with, when they choose to pass up the inherited knowledge of 200 generations, and instead strike out on their own starting with nothing...Because dinosaurs are cool and used by creationists to teach young kids. Btw, they dont refute the existence of god, but refute the claim that earth is 4000 yrs old. I am also curious about the religious nuts' obsession with evolution. There are many scientific theories that contradict the bible. Why evolution and not cosmology?

farmer
Topic Author

September 16th, 2008, 6:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3they dont refute the existence of god, but refute the claim that earth is 4000 yrs old.Why would God create rocks (and beaches and trees and sunsets) but not dinosaur fossils? Doesn't an old rock work just as well in your argument? Or would the use of old rocks (to refute the claim that the Earth was created) more obviously expose your argument as circular?We know these rocks are old because we know how they were made. And we know how they were made because they are old? I mean, come on, are you that dumb??

Cuchulainn

September 16th, 2008, 6:52 pm

QuoteWhy would God create rocks (and beaches and trees and sunsets) but not dinosaur fossils?It's possible, but why would God do that? As a puzzle for scientists?

farmer
Topic Author

September 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt's possible, but why would God do that? As a puzzle for scientists?Creation is not a product of the laws of physics. Therefore, running the clock backwards on the laws of physics cannot produce a moment of creation. So such an exercise must lead to a mirage, a non-existent land that never was. And running the laws of physics forward from any such fiction sufficient to lead to the emergence of human beings, must produce stray patterns just like mathematical integration produces a constant, just like making a pie leaves crumbs and stray flour.

gardener3

September 16th, 2008, 8:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3they dont refute the existence of god, but refute the claim that earth is 4000 yrs old.Why would God create rocks (and beaches and trees and sunsets) but not dinosaur fossils? Doesn't an old rock work just as well in your argument? Or would the use of old rocks (to refute the claim that the Earth was created) more obviously expose your argument as circular?We know these rocks are old because we know how they were made. And we know how they were made because they are old? I mean, come on, are you that dumb??Actually, old rocks work just as well demonstrating that earth is not 4000 yrs old. If you are talking about some subjective matrix type metaphysical nonsense, then no you cannot refute anything. I cannot refute that universe was created yesterday, with everything in place as is, including my thoughts and memory of previous experiences. Btw, the mainstream religious nut argument is that dinosaurs roamed the earth alongside men. Although a fringe group thinks that they were placed by satan to have people question their faiths. So the religous nuts would actually think that you are nuts.

ppauper

September 17th, 2008, 1:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3dinosaurs roamed the earth alongside menread the book of Job: dinosaurs are described there (behemoth and leviathan)

Cuchulainn

September 17th, 2008, 2:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt's possible, but why would God do that? As a puzzle for scientists?Creation is not a product of the laws of physics. Therefore, running the clock backwards on the laws of physics cannot produce a moment of creation. So such an exercise must lead to a mirage, a non-existent land that never was. And running the laws of physics forward from any such fiction sufficient to lead to the emergence of human beings, must produce stray patterns just like mathematical integration produces a constant, just like making a pie leaves crumbs and stray flour.I think physics is ill-equipped (that's not its job IMHO) to extrapolate about a Supreme Being. Its discoveries tell us 'what' happened and 'how' (a bit). But I do not see it proving why and who..Biologists are closer to the truth in this case.

daveangel

September 17th, 2008, 2:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3dinosaurs roamed the earth alongside menread the book of Job: dinosaurs are described there (behemoth and leviathan)From Wikipedia The Hebrew behemoth is sometimes equated with the Persian Hadhayosh, as the Leviathan is with the Kar and the Ziz with the Simurgh. The Arabic behemoth is known by the name Bahamut, a vast fish that supports the earth. Bahamut is sometimes described as having a head resembling a hippopotamus or elephant. In Russian and Ukrainian, behemoth (бегемо&#1090 means hippopotamus.this sounds like a myth
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Cuchulainn

September 17th, 2008, 3:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3dinosaurs roamed the earth alongside menread the book of Job: dinosaurs are described there (behemoth and leviathan)In my Dutch version (latter 19th century) of the OT there are 42 chapters on Job! In which ones are these beasts referred?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

September 17th, 2008, 5:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteWhy would God create rocks (and beaches and trees and sunsets) but not dinosaur fossils?It's possible, but why would God do that? As a puzzle for scientists?The Vikings used to have many Gods, why not one God create dinosaurs and another rocks?What about all the legends of dragons, where they not simply the big and angry dinosaurs? What a romantic time, when you simply had to kill a dragon (probably a Tyrannosaurus Rex) and win the Princess and half the kingdom and bag full of money, real money, gold money!. And today is it all about protecting your money from failing banks.
Last edited by Collector on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 17th, 2008, 6:26 pm

QuoteThe Vikings used to have many Gods, why not one God create dinosaurs and another rocks?Didn't those Viking gods merge at one stage?

TraderJoe

September 17th, 2008, 9:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt's possible, but why would God do that? As a puzzle for scientists?Creation is not a product of the laws of physics. Therefore, running the clock backwards on the laws of physics cannot produce a moment of creation. So such an exercise must lead to a mirage, a non-existent land that never was. And running the laws of physics forward from any such fiction sufficient to lead to the emergence of human beings, must produce stray patterns just like mathematical integration produces a constant, just like making a pie leaves crumbs and stray flour.I think physics is ill-equipped (that's not its job IMHO) to extrapolate about a Supreme Being. Its discoveries tell us 'what' happened and 'how' (a bit). But I do not see it proving why and who..Biologists are closer to the truth in this case.It's all atoms in the long run, cuch. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust ...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On